The Original TJB Mono & Stereo Lp's: Mix Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Bishop

Although covered a bit over at SH.tv, not sure we ever did this here.

There were mono and stereo mix/editions of the TJB Lp's from THE LONELY BULL through HERB ALPERT'S NINTH, and these have significant difference beyond one being mono, the other stereophonic, of course. I don't know if anyone's ever cataloged ALL the differences, so thought I'd start this thread and see what hits the wall, as it were... :D And a few single mixes are different than anything heard on the albums they appeared on.

Of course there's "The Lonely Bull": original mono(&45)version in one channel of the stereo Lp, while Herb recorded new trumpet for the other. Not unheard of--a James Brown stereo single from 1959 used the same idea--but, unusual, all the same.

And of course there is that extra or missing horn that's on or off of two mono mixes and one stereo mix of "Tijuana Taxi."

According to SH(if memory serves), Larry Levine mixed the mono material, while Herb himself supervised the stereo mixing. Regardless, over the years I've found both equally enjoyable, although lamenting that all those extra overdubs added to the "Zorba The Greek" 45 didn't at least make their way onto the mono Lp mix.

If there IS a comprehensive collection of such mix differences(and we should include edits & fades), well...this thread will be short! :badteeth:

:ed:

ed how you doing?
we all here on the corner would agree that the mono mixes should be relased. but as it was posted here Herb himself owns all of the masters to his music and so that would be his call to release them. now as for the 45 single versions of the songs. I had posted this list here on the corner.
they are as follows.

1. mexican drummer man (not on any US album, with the blossoms singing. below is the flip side

2.The Great Manolete with the guitar louder and you can hear it while the other one is playing.

3. Mexican Corn/ let it be me with the Piano heard like du du

4.All My Loving/ El Presidente with no duet in the middle

5.Zorba The Greek the crowd version below is the flip side

6.Tijuana Taxi With the extra honk at the beginning and during the marimba part in the middle

7.Spanish Flea/What Now my Love with the Maracas that is louder

8. Town Without Pity/The Happening without the hey at the beginning

9.Marjorine/Ob-la-Di-Ob-La- Da- completly different beginning

hope this helped you ED.

bob

Ed Bishop said:
Of course there's "The Lonely Bull": original mono(&45)version in one channel of the stereo Lp, while Herb recorded new trumpet for the other.

On "Crawfish" the trumpet solo is completely different on the mono version vs the stereo. On "Mexico" the muted trumpet passages are different. On "Acapulco 1922" there are no wood blocks on the beginning. That's just from The Lonely Bull LP.

Capt. Bacardi

hi all, I have an idea, since herb owns all of his masters, maybe randy can ask herb if he would consider him releasing the different mixes of the 45 singles as a mail order for the members here on the corner becasuse I know I would buy a copy. Or if there are going to be some more releases of the lost treasures. maybe herb could include some of the 45 singles mixes as bonus tracks. just an idea.or include them as a 2 cd set along maybe with a new feature release of cds.
bob

"Marjorine" doesn't have the slow clarinet opening on the 45. It starts where the rhythm section kicks in.

Now that you say that, I do think I'd heard about that before. I once made a compilation CD including the song, but on my original WARM album, the clarinet intro sounded kind of distorted so I just lopped it off, and started the song at the rhythm section. But it never sounded quite right without the intro.

Keep hangin' in there, Eduardo! :wave:

One confusing part of the mono/stereo differences is that sometimes the single versions are different from the mono album versions.

For example, "Tijuana Taxi" and "Zorba" are both the original versions, same as the stereo; the single version of "Taxi" has the horn honks, and "Zorba" is edited heavily, with crowd noises added.

"The Great Manolette" is pretty normal on the Volume 2 LP, but the single features some double-tracked trumpet parts, and a mandolin part added during the bridge.

"The Happening" is missing the flute "trill" at the end of the single. As I've never heard the mono album version, I'm not sure if it's present there or not.

While the Warm album never had a mono counterpart on LP, "To Wait For Love" on the single has a different lead vocal part that is also doubled in spots. And the runout at the end is longer.

The album track "Numero Cinco" is puzzling. My parents' mono LP had the spoken intro, where my stereo LP didn't. And yet the stereo CD I got in 1988 has it. And I think I've heard of someone having a mono LP without the spoken intro, and/or a stereo *with* the spoken intro. I'm still confused on this one. :laugh:

The last "official" commercially released A&M LP in mono was LP-146, which was the TJB's "The Beat Of The Brass".

BTW, if we get all the differences listed here, I'll add them to the ends of the TJB discography entries. :thumbsup:

Rudy said:
Keep hangin' in there, Eduardo! :wave:

Hangin'? More like danglin' precariously between fair health and something a bit nastier, but I'm still movin' along, N! :wave:

One confusing part of the mono/stereo differences is that sometimes the single versions are different from the mono album versions.

Yeah, sometimes very likely by accident--I don't think that extra horn in "Tijuana Taxi" was thought out, it was probably just there--and other times, very obviously intentional, and there is no more obvious and rad edit/mix difference than "Zorba," even if you referenced rock or soul Lp's for similar things. It was cut down quite a bit, then with all the added 'sounds,' it's likely an entirely new recording. It worked, was a big hit, but a pity it never got a sensible reissue on a comp someone might actually notice. I'm sure there are more than a few TJB fans--recent converts most of all--who haven't even heard it.

"The Great Manolette" is pretty normal on the Volume 2 LP, but the single features some double-tracked trumpet parts, and a mandolin part added during the bridge.

And, natch, never reissued anywhere in its single mix.

"The Happening" is missing the flute "trill" at the end of the single. As I've never heard the mono album version, I'm not sure if it's present there or not.

That's one I'm eager to check, and I'm kinda bummed I can't remember the mono Lp mix.

While the Warm album never had a mono counterpart on LP, "To Wait For Love" on the single has a different lead vocal part that is also doubled in spots. And the runout at the end is longer.

Another one that really needs to be reissued. Not a big Hot 100 entry, but did much better on the Easy Listening chart.

The album track "Numero Cinco" is puzzling. My parents' mono LP had the spoken intro, where my stereo LP didn't. And yet the stereo CD I got in 1988 has it. And I think I've heard of someone having a mono LP without the spoken intro, and/or a stereo *with* the spoken intro. I'm still confused on this one. :laugh:

Nice job...now I'm confused too! :laugh:

The last "official" commercially released A&M LP in mono was LP-146, which was the TJB's "The Beat Of The Brass".

Don't know how I spaced that, I must have a copy(I'll check and, if not, put it on my list to hunt down I know I have all the first 9, and multiples for most of those).

BTW, if we get all the differences listed here, I'll add them to the ends of the TJB discography entries. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan!

Luke and David Goodwin did a great Stones FAQ, and I wish there were more of those out there, since they're desperately needed, and gathers all the info in one place, rather than in dozens of separate threads no one will bother to track down... :freak:

guys I forgot this , I guess old age your memory is the first to go.lol there a quad mix on 8 track of whipped cream and other delights and I believe the greatest hits in sq matrix lp . and for the audio cd's there is passion dance in 5.1 dolby surround that would play on a surround sound system. in the cd player.whipped cream was on ebay a few days ago.

bob

I have two TJB Q8's, but they're kinda wonky for Quad, since the early stuff, like the contrived stereo of "Lonely Bull" was hardly discrete, just stereo with some rear ambience. But quad mixes, such as they are, are not the subject of this thread. This is strictly mono/stereo, 45/Lp differences for edits/mix/takes. Albums like NINTH and BEAT OF THE BRASS would have been more logical choices for Quad.

I'd like to find a vinyl version of GH in Quad, but have never come across a copy.

there is that extra or missing horn that's on or off of two mono mixes and one stereo mix of "Tijuana Taxi."

I noticed that the other day while blasting the mono version
out the window at a memorial day party. :D

Ed Bishop said:
Luke and David Goodwin did a great Stones FAQ, and I wish there were more of those out there, since they're desperately needed, and gathers all the info in one place, rather than in dozens of separate threads no one will bother to track down... :freak:

We're trying to use the tijuanabrass.com site as the central info point for all of the TJB and Alpert solo recording information that we can find. Mike B. has headed up our TJB/Alpert FAQ, and has dropped in quite a few commonly-asked questions. I haven't updated the discography very much, other than to add in the differences between the two stereo versions of the What Now My Love album (another mystery we'll never solve). I also don't have non-U.S. and promo releases in the discography, either. I will probably put in the Dee Jay Sampler, as the mono version is the only way you'll find the 45RPM single mixes on LP. (The stereo version has the album cuts.) As for others, they'd probably be best served up in an abbreviated format somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom