• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The T.V. Specials

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMAR5 said:
I was in the fan club at the time of her death and I vaguley remember that.

Some quotes from newsletters:

January 1982 - They are now busy researching material for their next album to be recorded shortly, and are formulating a schedule for later this year.

April 1982 - There isn't much to report this time, except Richard and Karen are laying tracks in readiness for the next album, and have completed a few songs. They hope for completion later this year.

June 1982 - As a result of additional time being spent on their forthcoming album, Richard and Karen will not be touring this summer. A fall tour however remains a possibility. Richard and John Bettis are also spending more time composing. having completed four songs as of this writing.

October 1982 - Our duo have decided to re-release Christmas Portrait and possibly Merry Christmas Darling this Christmas, but apart from that there is nothing new to report on the Carpenters music scene at this time so we'll have another question and answer session which appears to be very popular.

Of course, we now know most of this was fabricated to hide the fact Karen was in treatment in New York, but at least some of the facts on the new recordings is interesting.

Here's one interesting snippet from one of those newsletters:

Q. With all the wonderful and exciting moments Richard and Karen have experienced in the past 11 years of their career, has either of them kept a diary?
A. Unfortunately not, and they both deeply regret it.

That's a lie, as we now know from the Coleman book. Karen meticulously kept a diary, written, as always, in red ink.

That's a lie, as we now know from the Coleman book. Karen meticulously kept a diary, written, as always, in red ink.

I was just thinking about this THIS morning. Very disrespectful of my beloved Karen, but I'd sure love to read it.

Karen did keep a kind of diary...but it was more of a datebook. A diary is much more intimate. Her date book held things that she did that day etc. That was my understanding.

Cameron

cam89 said:
Karen did keep a kind of diary...but it was more of a datebook. A diary is much more intimate. Her date book held things that she did that day etc. That was my understanding.

Cameron

Her entry just before her leave for New York read: 'Confrontation about album'.

That was one, and one only, insight into her diary. No one will ever know.

Would you want the entries in any of YOUR diaries to be made public by others? How about when you're gone? I didn't think so.

Please keep the personal stuff off of the public forums. It's none of our business.

Thank you.

Harry

...which is why I've left the thread open. I just didn't want the thread veering off into areas where it shouldn't.

Thanks

Harry

...anyway, I have the TV Specials on video (of all things) and it isn't Christmas for me until I watch both Holiday Shows, cheese and all. I love them, can understand why Richard is hesitant to release them, but I am very thankful that they are in my possession. :bigsanta:

goodjeans said:
...anyway, I have the TV Specials on video (of all things) and it isn't Christmas for me until I watch both Holiday Shows, cheese and all. I love them, can understand why Richard is hesitant to release them, but I am very thankful that they are in my possession. :bigsanta:

Hey goodjeans,

Did you have a VCR back then? How on earth do you have these shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom