The Unreleased TJBs: If you could only pick one...

Which album would you most like to see released?

• HERB ALPERT'S TIJUANA BRASS VOLUME 2

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • THE BRASS ARE COMIN'

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • WARM

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • SUMMERTIME

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I would rather see a single-disk "Best of"

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
For fun, let's see which of these albums is the most-wanted. If we were told that ONLY ONE of these remaining albums would be released, which would you pick as the most desirable to get the nod?

Or would an expanded version of GREATEST HITS be better?

Be sure to give the reasons for your choice.

I went with B.A.C. even though it was a tough choice between that one and WARM. Since some experts consider WARM a quasi-solo album for Herb, we might get a second chance at seeing it reissued in a future Herb solo series.

The other reason I voted for B.A.C. is I believe the recording would benefit most from being remastered. It would be great to hear the contrast between the new disc and the relatively muddy old record.

JB

I frankly wouldn't mind Warm and Summertime being saved for a time BETWEEN this Reissue Program and a later one where Herb's solo albums will be be re-released... I suppose putting them BOTH on ONE CD would really be out of the question, but seeing as how they are a bit similar, I might not object to it...but I dunno... :wtf: :baah:

It's true, though, "The Sea Is My Soil" really IS long-overdue to be heard on CD, as is MY favorite being "Sandbox", so again, I have pretty mixed feelings... :shake: :confused:

The Brass Are Comin', I know will be reissued just as "cheaply" as we saw Beat Of The Brass--"Crapped", I mean "CROPPED" Photos, Redundant Liner-Notes and a "Roulette Wheel" of a CD Spindle, so I would easily slip it in my Original LP Gate-Fold Cover, right then and there...

Herb Alpert & TjB, Volume 2 is what *I* voted for....! :usflag: :thumbsup:

Dave

Allthough I want all of them to be released I voted for WARM since I could eek by with my Japanese BAC disc and 1988 VOLUME 2 disc. I like WARM more overall than SUMMERTIME so it got my vote.

David,
Hoping we get the rest of the catalogue very soon........

Unquestionably, unequivocably, without doubt, not another thought about it: WARM.

As David said, the old VOLUME 2 is serviceable as a CD release, as is the Japanese BRASS ARE COMIN', so the only logical choice here is WARM.

Because of the above albums already in existence, my second choice would easily be SUMMERTIME.

Harry

I haven't seen a VOLUME TWO CD anywhere since I bought my copy 10 years ago, and I would expect a Japanese disc of B.A.C. to command top dollar.
Most of these proposed reissues' program time is 30 minutes per album or less, which make them perfect candidates for 2-for-1s.
CDs with short program lengths shouldn't cost more than $10 IMHO.
JB

...I'd like Warm. I think it's the most complete album of the rest. They should do something with the remastering though, it always seemed to sound like it was being played out of a bucket to me.

WARM is the obvious choice for me. My second choice on the list would be SUMMERTIME and I actually think the 10 tracks on that album would work well as 10 bonus tracks for a WARM reissue if they weren't planning on giving all of the albums the reissue treatment.
To be honest, my second choice after WARM isn't on the list. It would be CONEY ISLAND. I would really love to have the title track, "Catfish" and "Senor Mouse" on CD.

Warm.

Herb probably doesn't realize it (the sales figures had to hurt, coming only a year after his biggest chart success with "This Guy"), but this was the best, most fully realized album, and pointed the way to a new sound that I, for one, wish the TJB had followed.

---Michael Hagerty

Warm barely eeks out Summertime for me. Especially since the other two are already on CD (even if not the best masterings, and TBAC is always going to be muddy due to the Haeco-CSG processing).

daveK said:
My second choice on the list would be SUMMERTIME and I actually think the 10 tracks on that album would work well as 10 bonus tracks for a WARM reissue if they weren't planning on giving all of the albums the reissue treatment.

Here, Here and ditto! The extras would help sell it.

Michael Hagerty said:
Herb probably doesn't realize it (the sales figures had to hurt, coming only a year after his biggest chart success with "This Guy")

Sales weren't that bad. Warm did go gold, but not as gold as most of the preceding LPs. Brass Are Comin' was the first TJB LP not to go gold. In fact (not counting Greatest Hits -- a compilation) Herb Alpert would not see gold again until 1979's Rise...

--Mr Bill

Although WARM is my co-favorite TJB album (along with GOING PLACES) I decided to vote for SUMMERTIME.

The needle-drop CD-R I have of WARM probably sounds 90% as good, or better, than a reissue would, where on the other hand my SUMMERTIME album is a mess, mostly from being played too much! Plus, it's such a quiet album that it's hard to get a decent-sounding needle drop (at least on my equipment!)

Warm—good grief, even its name is wonderful—is a flat-out gorgeous album. As an album, I think only !!Going Places!! holds up as well.

When I think of how wonderful Mr. A., Shout! and Company have made 2005—an otherwise fairly miserable year—I realize I'm a beggar at the King's banquet-table. At the risk, therefore, of sounding impossibly greedy, I'd say it would be nothing less than a sad travesty if Warm—as fine an album as any artist gave us in its year of release—were to stay out of print, while so much schlock continunes to clutter the CD shelves.

Mr Bill said:
Michael Hagerty said:
Herb probably doesn't realize it (the sales figures had to hurt, coming only a year after his biggest chart success with "This Guy")

Sales weren't that bad. Warm did go gold, but not as gold as most of the preceding LPs. Brass Are Comin' was the first TJB LP not to go gold. In fact (not counting Greatest Hits -- a compilation) Herb Alpert would not see gold again until 1979's Rise...

--Mr Bill

Five number one albums (Whipped Cream, Going Places, What Now My Love, SRO, Sounds Like), followed by a #4 (9th), and then two more #1s (Beat Of The Brass and Christmas Album)....and Warm doesn't crack the Top 20. Mr. Bill, that's a BIG drop! Can't blame Herb for thinking he tinkered too much with the sound...but it's still, for my taste, the best album.

---Michael Hagerty

FWIW, S.R.O. peaked at #2, never reaching #1 in Billboard, according to Whitburn.

The three singles from WARM, "Zazueira", "To Wait For Love" and "Without Her" never cracked the top 50 in singles.

Nonetheless, the album as a whole is a thing of beauty that needs to be officially released on CD.

Harry

Harry said:
The three singles from WARM, "Zazueira", "To Wait For Love" and "Without Her" never cracked the top 50 in singles.

As a kid, I remember the album's version of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" getting a lot of local airplay. Harry, do I correctly infer from your comment that it didn't crack the top 50 either?

Geez, I forgot about that one - a fourth single from WARM, "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" didn't crack the top 100, peaking at #118.

Harry

I think it's odd that with all the singles that were released from WARM, they never released "The Sea Is My Soil", especially since it seems to be the most popular track on the album.

David,
wondering what WERE they thinking?.........

I voted for WARM, it's my favorite of those left to be released. Second and third choices would be SUMMERTIME and VOL. 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom