• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

To Wait for Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Bacardi said:
Rudy said:
Tony Orlando's version is on the box. Fourth track on disc 2, IIRC.
Doh! That's what I get for not using a magnifying glass....

Capt. Bacardi
...old man online... :oops:

I actually know the songs more by their sound than who did them. There are a few on there that I still can't remember the artist for. :oops: And I've heard the set literally dozens of times since I first got it! So, nobody's alone in the aging department around here... :wink:

I've always thought "I Belong" off Coney Island should've been a bigger hit and thematically is a good TGILWY clone. In fact if it had been a bigger hit we may have seen another new TJB album or two from the 70's incarnation of the group. COnversely that would've meant eithe a delay in (or none at all) of the amazing Masekela collaborations...

--Mr Bill

I've always thought "I Belong" off Coney Island should've been a bigger hit
Yeah, count me among the "I Belong" fans. It's my favorite Herb solo vocal. I don't think had enough of a "hook" to have been a hit single though....plus it's pretty long, so some stations probably never even gave it a chance on that basis alone.

Mike Blakesley said:
I've always thought "I Belong" off Coney Island should've been a bigger hit
Yeah, count me among the "I Belong" fans. It's my favorite Herb solo vocal. I don't think had enough of a "hook" to have been a hit single though....plus it's pretty long, so some stations probably never even gave it a chance on that basis alone.

It always seemed to me that I BELONG was in the same league as RAINBOW CONNECTION. I can almost see Herb singing it to Kermit and Miss Piggy every time I hear it. It and NO TIME FOR TIME should both be included in a Muppet movie if anybody ever makes another one.

Dan

I fear that Herb and the TJB had become "out of fashion" by the time of Coney Island.

I remember seeing a performance of the Coney Island version of the TJB when some of those songs were part of the program, and the size of the audience had dropped off considerably from the time when This Guy's... was a hit.

One of the reasons for lack of success of "To Wait for Love" -- in my opinion -- is that it is a very melancholy song. The trumpet almost sounds like it's crying, at times. Most downer songs don't do very well, as a rule. There are exceptions, of course, but I think most people like to hear upbeat and happy messages instead of sad ones.

Captaindave said:
I fear that Herb and the TJB had become "out of fashion" by the time of Coney Island.

I remember seeing a performance of the Coney Island version of the TJB when some of those songs were part of the program, and the size of the audience had dropped off considerably from the time when This Guy's... was a hit.

The TJB had no trouble filling Pine Knob to capacity on the You Smile and Coney tours when they hit Clarkston, MI back in the 70s. Granted it is not an arena, but it is a sizeable outdoor venue with a covered pavillion area. I can't recall if we sat on the lawn area both times, or just one of those. Quite a good crowd for both gigs, too--very lively, and the whole house was on its feet for Zorba. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom