Today I listened to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigGA

As I sit and listen to Carpenters, I wondered, as fans what you chose Carpenters as you listened today?

I relistened to the SACD The Singles 1969-1981. These days I usually listen using iTunes Player, but today, I took out the CD and turned on the DVD/CD player to play this amazing project. As I listened, I was again amazed at how much is different, yet original, in these recordings and I am so thankful to Richard for this compilation as it feels everything is fresh with new highlights joining the usual goosebumps sections in each song. At times I even feel I am in the center of an orchestra hosted by a Karen and Richard chorale. I will probably listen to it more often now that I hear this new appreciation!

So, I wonder, as fans, not only what you listened to, but did you listen to something Carpenters today outside your usual?

Not at the moment, but I have plans to play Richard's Pianist Arranger Conductor Composer album this evening. (Wow, if that isn't a mouth full..:rolleyes:)

As I received two vinyl Japanese-45 Pressings via the mails today,
Only Yesterday and Close To You,
they were the songs played on the record-player today.

I actually listened to Make Believe It's Your First Time from the VOTH album today from top to bottom. It's a beautiful reading by Karen, but one I only listen to once every third blue moon. Was nice to hear again. :)

Right now I'm listening to TJ Lubinsky's show! I don't know what Carpenters song I'll request tonight :)

Recently I've been playing the heck out of the Offering album. When I get to my turntable/stereo, I'll pull it out there too. "Invocation" gives me chills.

Edit: To add, "Maybe It's You" is another song I've been playing alot lately.

Last edited:
I was on the phone during most of my morning travel time... However, only yesterday, Let me Be The One came up on my shuffle of itunes in my car.

As an asterisk, the one song that did play this morning between phone calls was JoDee Messina's 'Burn'.

Most of us have a history of saying that Karen speaks to our heart, so it makes sense that we sit down and have a intimate listen when we listen to songs not in our usual rotation and we look forward and remember when we hear her in a rotation of songs. In each case, it is a voice of the heart!

As an aside, when I played vinyl, I loved seeing my copy of A Song For You rotate on the turntable, for the Carpenters logo looked great playing a album full of hits! (Passage and A Kind of Hush also looked great with the special label on the vinyl.) By the way, Hurting Each Other and Bless the Beasts and the Children sound superb on the SACD Singles!

Make Believe It's Your First Time is one of my favorites, both versions! Only Yestersay as it opens with Karen's silky vocals always gets to me.

Invocation is ear candy. When I listen to Maybe It's You and Let Me Be The One, I have to play them more than once in one listen. I think the vocal harmonies are exquisite!

I had my IPod on 'shuffle' today at the gym, and listened to the remix of 'Baby It's You' and the original version of 'Mr. Guder'. They both sounded amazing, as usual. :)

Well, I guess that means in every part of life, we enjoy Carpenters music. I once had a song in mind for every emotion and situation but before people deemed me nuts I pulled back to just enjoy the occasional listen. If I ever miss a few days of listening, I end up with an eventual marathon of songs. Maybe that is why I still yearn for the release of the last few nuggets out there, hoping that a pro tools backup kept them from destruction.

:) It's J-Tel Records! :)
Today's listening offer is My Favorite Carpenters' Album Cuts!
Not their monster hits...
But deeper tracks that are enormously popular!
And deeply affecting for the most ardent Carpenters' fans as well as the casual listener who demands more
!

You get the Two-fer songs:
Two Sides
Two Lives

You get the You songs:
I Have You
You

You get the fun songs:
Happy
And When He Smiles

You get the yearning songs:
Make Believe It's Your First Time
All of My Life
Strength of a Woman
One More Time
Someday

You get the wistful songs:
I Can Dream Can't I
Road Ode
The Rainbow Connection
(A Place to) Hideaway
Crescent Noon
Crystal Lullaby

You get Karen's powerhouse performances:
One Love
Ordinary Fool

And if you call now, you'll get a bonus track, Karen's rare solo:
All Because of You
--- it's solely and soulful Karen, unplugged and unapologetic!

Call now!
If you order within the next hour, we'll include two compilations for the price of one!
(Just pay 2 separate shipping & handling charges.) :)

Having a "way" flashback day

Started out with 90's flashbacks from my son's teen years, and it went from there . . . Smash Mouth made interesting videos.

Today, while working on the PC, I am listening to Carpenters Perform Carpenter, a truly enjoyable and soothing experience. Karen is flawless as ever, but it's also a testament to the amazing catalog of songs written by Richard (and John Bettis as well as a couple of others).

Today, while working on the PC, I am listening to Carpenters Perform Carpenter, a truly enjoyable and soothing experience. Karen is flawless as ever, but it's also a testament to the amazing catalog of songs written by Richard (and John Bettis as well as a couple of others).

A pleasant enough collection, but I always thought it was such a bombastic title - and didn't make much sense anyway unless you were a hardcore fan who 'got' that it was songs written by Richard (and John). There are plenty of nicer titles they could have used...'Home Grown' (a la 'By Request') if they wanted to keep it succint or something like 'Their Own Greatest Songs' or 'Hits & Hidden Treasures' with a sub-heading 'Classic Cuts by Richard Carpenter and John Bettis'.

Last edited:
A pleasant enough collection, but I always thought it was such a bombastic title - and didn't make much sense anyway unless you were a hardcore fan who 'got' that it was songs written by Richard (and John). There are plenty of nicer titles they could have used...'Home Grown' (a la 'By Request') if they wanted to keep it succint or something like 'Their Own Greatest Songs' or 'Hits & Hidden Treasures' with a sub-heading 'Classic Cuts by Richard Carpenter and John Bettis'.

Hey Stephen.

I think you're right about the title; it can seem a bit jarring, maybe even self-indulgent. But as you say, we as hardcore fans "get" it. And I'm happy to have it in my collection...

Right now, I'm listening to my Carpenters playlist on my phone. Currently listening to Jambalaya (On The Bayou), which I remember being absolutely obsessed with when I first found it.
Tonight, I'm probably gonna listen to SACD Singles 1969 - 1981 on CD, as that's the only Carpenters CD I own, because The Carpenters seem to be near to impossible to find in a music store, like Newbury Comics or FYE :cry:

..."My Body Keeps Changing My Mind", Richard remix.
"Goodbye To Love".
"Back In Black".
"Count On Me"
"Learning To Fly"
"Higher Love"
"Peter Pan"
I may have missed the point. I usually do. If this is Carpenters specific, please delete lines 3-7. Thank you.

I don't listen to Carpenters albums very often, but last night I played the entire Ticket To Ride album while working in my office. That album is best experienced as a unit, I think....I feel the same way about A Song For You.

Since he'd done "Carpenters - Interpretations", I thought he would have just called it "Carpenters - Originals". Then again, he probably had nothing to do with the title what with it being a compilation.

Driving home from work this evening on a hot sunny evening, windows down, stereo on, Remember When Lovin' Took All Night started playing. It took me a bit by surprise as I didn't think I'd included it on my USB. It's a song that's grown on me over the years. But at that moment on a rare summery summer's evening in Taunton it sounded perfect. So much so I turned up the volume and played it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom