• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Top Of The World - steel guitar version

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallPaulInKy

OK I have tried to search the archives, but come up with more questions than answers. I was trying to figure out if the original single version of Top Of The World appeared on an album? Could someone explain the many versions of Top Of The World as I read one message indicating it may have been on an album in a different version before being issued as a single. I seem to remember more steel guitar on the single when it was popular.
But maybe I'm crazy.

Paul Urbahns
Radcliff, KY

TOTW was first released on A SONG FOR YOU as an album cut and then re-mixed with more steel guitars and a new vocal track for the single. Lynn Anderson also did a country version of the song.

David,
NP-A Song For You

Paul I hope this helps, the original version can be found on the LP of A Song for You. The original version was not hit material, but Richard had no idea what a hit it would become, they re-recorded it and the re-record is what you hear mostly today. Although I favor the re-record more because of it's smoothness and radio friendly. There is something special about the original, to me it's almost like you can hear Karen smiling as she is singing the song, if that makes sense.

Grant's website is also helpful about this track. Go here and scroll down where it talks about "Top Of the World" in the 2nd to last paragraph.

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/song.html

Right. The other difference (that Richard always fails to mention for some reason) is that the keyboard was re-cut for the single version, which changes the whole dynamic of the track. A Wurlitzer electric piano was the keyboard used for both versions, however its arrangement changed a bit throughout the track for the subsequent remixes.

I never noticed any difference in the amount of Steel Guitar used on the Album or the Single my Mom had; she even had the Green/Yellow Forget-Me-(K)Nots Series...

If we're talking the original Ocre label '45', then maybe I'm long-overdue for a listen; 'specially as far as the Wurlitzer 'Lectric Piano goes...

Dave

The original album cut can be found on the box set FROM THE TOP.
It was not meant to be released as a single. Then Lynn Anderson covered the song and had a minor hit with it. Then Carpenters went back to the studio, recorded a new lead, remixed the whole song and released it as a single. The rest is history.

The version which is featured on the latest compilations is another remix with piano and drums in stereo.

Bruno

Lots of great information guys, but I'm not sure you answered his actual question.

If I'm reading his post correctly, I don't think he's asking about the original version of "Top of the World" (from A Song For You) but instead he's asking if the version that was released as a single ever appeared on an album. In that case, the answer would be, yes, it was on the album The Singles: 1969 - 1973.

I know that there have been several subsequent remixes, but I believe the original release of the Singles album contains the exact same version that was released as the single in 1973. (Unlike a few of the other cuts on that album that were tweeked a bit.) But I know there are experts on here a lot more knowledgeable on these matters than I, so if there were subtle differences between those versions as well, please feel free to correct me! :)

The single version of "Top Of The World" can be found on the original A&M album of A SONG FOR YOU as well as the MFSL issue of the album. It wasn't until the Remastered Classic version in 1998 that the original album version was restored to the album.

The version on SINGLES 1969-1973, though it is the single, is segued a bit at the end with "Ticket To Ride".

Harry

The single version of "Top Of The World" can be found on the original A&M album of A SONG FOR YOU
Wait a second here. I was sure the song was remixed when it was first released as a single. The original album would have the original album mix, wouldn't it?

Or are you talking about the original CD release, Harry?

Or was it not remixed until it appeared on the SINGLES 1969-1973 album?

The original LP had the original non-steel-guitar mix--that's the one I grew up with. The original CD release, plus the MoFi, had the single mix from what I can tell. It's hard to keep track of all this!

Mike Blakesley said:
The single version of "Top Of The World" can be found on the original A&M album of A SONG FOR YOU
Wait a second here. I was sure the song was remixed when it was first released as a single. The original album would have the original album mix, wouldn't it?

Or are you talking about the original CD release, Harry?

Or was it not remixed until it appeared on the SINGLES 1969-1973 album?

Correct. I said album, and meant CD. Sorry - slip of the digits.

Harry

That's what I figured you meant, but I wasn't sure....I never had the original CD of A SONG FOR YOU...only the MoFi disk, and I have the remastered classic version. The original album version of TotW is my favorite, I don't like all that extra steel guitar in there.

I think Richard Carpenter ought to adopt a new policy of noting, on the outside CD packaging, what remix of each song is included. Such as

TOP OF THE WORLD (1989 remix)

or

TOP OF THE WORLD (1972 single mix)

...or whatever.

I think he just needs to stop tinkering...period. By constantly remixing and re-thinking things, it's become a nightmare to track it all down or to remember what we liked about each remix. One remix of a well-loved song can be fun - especially when Richard is the one doing it. Several gets rather tedious and obsessive. Would it really have been so bad for him to remix some of these just once?

Ed

I would agree with that, it seems Richard has occupied a great deal of his time in the 80s and 90s remixing and then revisiting remixes over and over again. The topic about the many stereo mixes of Ticket To Ride, which have the opening piano starting in the left speaker on some versions and the right speaker on other versions, boggled my mind LOL.

Once it is remixed, it should be left at that. The remix of Rainy Days and Mondays was fine, but then Richard went back and did a radio remix in the 1990s for the box set, removing the drum fill towards the end and lifting the violin from the chorus. His reasoning? He didn't feel they needed to be there. I am all for remixes, but not when they start to virtually rewrite the original. The drum fill on the original song was part of its charm, and now it's gone (it's just gone haha!).

Stephen

"He can't leave his 'Oldies' alone!" :biglaugh:

Are there really THAT many ways for Richard to "Mix" or "Re-Mix" a song?! What might those CD Racks in the stores have, had he been born DECADES later...??! :shock:

Dave

I like that he remixes the songs over and over.... yes it's harder to track down which mix was where and when, but it gives us something different to listen to....and something more to talk about!

aaflyer-Patrick-98 said:
...it gives us something different to listen to...and something more to talk about...!

Yes, I'll grant it that, not to mention a "Common Thread" between Artists Old & New who give us the same song, "Squeezed, Compressed & Homogenized...!" :laugh:

Dave

...And Pasteurized, too!! :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom