• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Trading Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.
audiofile said:
That's a pretty heavy statement; to say Herb's Midnight Sun is one of the greatest JAZZ albums when we're talking about everything from Louis Armstrong to Duke Ellington, From Coleman Hawkins, to Count Base, from Charlie Parker to John Coltrane, and from Miles Davis to Bill Evans and everything in between. And considering that Midnight Sun is not even an "all out jazz album." It's more of an easy listening pop jazz Chris Botti type jazz album. I never understood what was so great about that album. And I have to sit through Herb painfully dredging out I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face....

Keep everything Herb did after 1975, and don't anyone touch my TJB collection! :D I want it all! Nothing Herb did after 75 can hold a candle to the TJB records.

You are correct...but it is a fine jazz effort, which I rarely listen to...

Sorry, but everything after Fandango is pretty much hit or miss with me (mostly miss). Sure there is the occasional album with a song or two that I enjoy, but a few I never play. I can't include Anything Goes in that group because I do not yet own it -- no store I visit seems to have it and beoing without a credit card I can't order it online...

--Mr Bill

I'd give up Warm, SRO and Whipped Cream, on the grounds that I'd still have the good tracks on the various compilations and of course I'd have "Re-Whipped" as well. I'm sure not giving up "Fandango", "Bullish" or "Anything Goes"!!

That's OK except for most of the best WARM tracks aren't on any of the compilations! The Sea is My Soil, Marjorine, Ob-La-Di ... life without those? Nope.

For someone who doesn't like much of Herb's solo output except for Rise, I really do enjoy Bullish. The melodies are really great, but it just sounds so dated, just like all of Herb's solo albums from the 80's...

audiofile said:
For someone who doesn't like much of Herb's solo output except for Rise, I really do enjoy Bullish. The melodies are really great, but it just sounds so dated, just like all of Herb's solo albums from the 80's...

You just made me realize...The TjB albums never sound dated, it's remarkable and rare.

Steve,

I think what you're trying to accomplish here is a bit muddied by the vague "rules" of your proposal.

But it got me thinking... Instead of "which LP would you give up?" we should try a "which track of this TJB album would you delete if possible (or desired)?"

I think I'll start that with the next new post and each day add a post for the next LP... Should be interesting to see the results (though I suspect "Freight Train Joe" will be the hands down winner when we get to S.R.O....

--Mr Bill

I really do enjoy Bullish. The melodies are really great, but it just sounds so dated,

BULLISH sounds so dated because of its instrumentation, with the drum machines and synths. I wish Herb would take his trumpet tracks from that album and get a real band to play on them. (And release them as part of that BOX SET we were supposed to get a few years ago!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom