What's in your CD Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

What are A&M fans listening to? Taking the 5-6 CD's in your average system, what is in there currently? Be honest! :o
I've got:

Herb Alpert "Portrait in Music" #2 CD Rondor (might as well be A&M)

Cheech and Chong "1st LP CD" Warner Brothers (What happened to Ode? no mention of it on the CD)

Eggs Over Easy "Good and Cheap" A&M

Sneaker Pimps "Splinter"

Alice Cooper's "Greatest Hits" Warner Bros.

Totally random, does not include Baja Marimba, Mendes, etc- RANDOM DAY!

Even more obscure, I am listening to a 4 disk book "Firehouse" while working on a birthday cake. Sometimes music is too distracting when I am trying to concentrate on decorating.

Haven't been around much to listen to CDs lately, but here goes:

Brian Setzer '68 Comeback Special: Ignition!
Jean-Luc Ponty: Civilized Evil
Simon Phillips: Symbiosis
Burt Bacharach: Look Of Love (Box Set)
Steely Dan: Two Against Nature
Eric Heatherly: Swimming In Champagne
Brian Setzer '68 Comeback Special: Ignition!

I've been playing one of the above more than the others lately. :wink:

Last week I listened to both Lonely Bull and Volume 2 from the TJB; the Sergio Mendes Songs Selected By Shinichi Osawa disc, sunday I played the Bee Gees Main Course album a few times; I gave the Veronique album a spin; and the last two days have been spent listening to my current fave, The Corrs with Forgiven Not Forgotten, Talk On Corners, and In Blue, their three main studio albums. The last few times I'd listened to The Corrs were from their hits compilation, Best Of, so I felt the need to revisit the album tracks.

I'll be packing some discs to take with me on a mini-vacation around my birthday weekend (leaving tomorrow night after work). I'll probably take along an array of compilations, so I'll have a representative sample of all of my favorites.

Harry
...packing, online...

I've had an urge to hear Metallica's S&M. But on this one, I'd rather watch the DVD. Cool DVD, though, which makes use of many DVD special features, like multiple camera angles, and multiple soundtracks where you can hear the complete mix, Metallica only, or the symphony only. Nothing else matters! :wink:

(And for an A&M twist, the breakthrough Metallica album was mixed at A&M Studios.)

PS- On that Cheech and Chong album I mentioned, Herb Alpert's "The Lonely Bull" is playing in the background on "Welcome to Mexico". :twisted:

I have a CD player in my pickup which plays MP3s. I have a disc which I put "South of the Border", "Whipped Cream & Other Delights", "Going Places", "What Now My Love", "SRO", "'Ninth", "Warm", and "Summertime" on. I usually listen to it most of the time when I am in it. Currently my CD changer in the house is empty. I usually don't listen to it unless I am by myself or turn the main speakers off and turn the garage speakers on and then spend time in the garage(kind of cold out there this time of year). The TV is in the same room as the stereo and it (TV) is on most of the time the wife is home.

Larry

My wish is that Pioneer will make their 300-CD changer capable of playing CD-RW discs, MP3 discs, DVDs, DVD-Audio and SACD. One unit for everything, in other words. Although it would be nice to just have a 300-DVD changer so I could stash all my movies that way. Although I have nowhere near 300 DVDs yet.

I have systems all over the house these days. The one in the living room is usually on with my music since it's by the kitchen. My main home theater rig downstairs doens't get much use anymore, and the one in the family room is usually playing DVDs or DirecTV.

I have a CD player in the car and a big mama stereo in the house, so I split my stuff into two categories...air-guitar and non-air-guitar. Since it's kinda awkward to play air-guitar while driving[like that cop had NEVER heard "WIPE-OUT" before...gimme a break...], I tend to keep the twangy stuff in the house where I can draw the shades and "rock on":cool: .

HOUSE STUFF or AIR GUITAR FAVORITES

1.Prairie Oyster:A DIFFERENT KIND OF FIRE
A Canadian band that really rocked in the late '80's...rockabilly at its best...

2. John Anderson:GREATEST HITS
The man has a voice like a slide trombone...and I love to sing along with him; I'd lose my license in a week if I played his stuff in the car...

3. Adrian Legg:MRS CROWE'S BLUE WALTZ
An Irish guitar player who makes his own instruments, especially his tuning keys[or machine heads if you prefer]...his sense of pitch is incredible, because he tunes the strings as he plays. Sometimes, this one makes it into the car, but you really have to listen closely to get everything that happens as he plays...this album might be rare, if you find one, and like guitar music at all, you won't be disappointed...

4. Chris Isaak:HEART-SHAPED WORLD
I play this one when I'm having woman trouble, especially "WICKED GAME"...

5. Travis Tritt:IT'S ALL ABOUT TO CHANGE
Another album for woman-trouble-time...HERE'S A QUARTER...

6. Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass:VOLUME 2
Not air-guitar material by any means, but it sounds better in the house than in the car, and I really don't know why that is...

NON-AIR-GUITAR MATERIAL

1.U2:THE JOSHUA TREE
The first 3 songs are my favorites...

2. O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU SOUNDTRACK
Lots of good stuff from the '30's here, reminds me of my father...he'd have loved it.

3.Herb Alpert:MY ABSTRACT HEART
3 O'CLOCK JUMP always gets me going...

4.Vangelis:OPERA SAUVAGE
I usually skip HYMNNE, I've worn it out, but the rest of the album is soothing, great for a long drive, especially during the holidays...

5. Chet Atkins:READ MY LICKS
Some great road music here, YOUNG THING[featured in MICHAEL with John Travolta and William Hurt] is cool, as is AROUND THE BEND and NORWAY...

6. THE BEST OF DORE ALPERT
Compiled by the great Harry Neyhart...these early Alpert vocals are gems to drive to...I love to listen to this CD when I stop at the B & K...it just makes the mood...Harry, I owe ya a spanish dog, some barbecue chips and a "beer"...

There's my favorites list...specialized for each venue...eclectic as all get-out...just like me... :tongue:

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Compiled by the great Harry Neyhart...these early Alpert vocals are gems to drive to...I love to listen to this CD when I stop at the B & K...it just makes the mood...Harry, I owe ya a spanish dog, some barbecue chips and a "beer"...

Take's ya back to the '60s, doesn't it? Like some kind of weird, parallel universe American Grafitti! I'm still amazed at just how many of those recordings there were -- really enough to fill an album.

Harry
...with a strange urge to dig out the Dore's today, online...

Harry said:
DAN BOLTON said:

Take's ya back to the '60s, doesn't it? Like some kind of weird, parallel universe American Grafitti! I'm still amazed at just how many of those recordings there were -- really enough to fill an album.

Harry
...with a strange urge to dig out the Dore's today, online...

Now if I only had a '58 Impala and Cindy Williams...Meet ya at Tubby's,man!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Dan

Since Christmas music is all but gone here-1-Promo CD of "Frank Sinatra In Hollywood" in anticipation of the complete box set when Christmas bills are paid up(June?)2-Jason Moran-"Modernistic"-One of the few times I bought something from reading a review(NY Times year end best list). Well worth it- an exciting jazz pianist with a great sense of the past masters to go forward. 3-Sinatra,again-"Classic Duets"-culled from '50s TV shows and,after years of being bootlegged,the family has released some TV material-lots of good stuff for the Sinatra fan(while reading my two new Frank books received over Christmas)4-Art Blakey & Thelonius Monk on Atlantic-A truly great album that never tires.5-A CD from the Band's "The Last Waltz" box-twice as much material than the original three LP set from 1976. I love the studio version of "The Weight" with the Staples!5-VA-"Party Jazz"-a soul-jazz comp from the defunct 32Jazz-Love that "Bar Wars" by Willis Jackson and the late Charlie Earland(The Mighty Burner) on the mighty Hammond B-3. At leat that's what's playing when my wife isn't in the room. The Moran CD is getting extra workout in the car,as it is new to my ears and were just getting introduced. Mac

Steven J. Gross said:
What are A&M fans listening to? Taking the 5-6 CD's in your average system, what is in there currently? Be honest!

Honest, eh? :wink:

I have the following right now:

Pat Metheny Group - Best Of (my own compilation)

Herb Alpert - Magic Man

Various Artists - Fusion Favorites (again, my own compilation)

Snooky Young - Horn Of Plenty

Paul McCartney - Back In The U.S.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to listen to anything the past couple of weeks, so I definitely need to change out the CDs.

Capt. Bacardi

Since you're going on a mini vacation, Harry, for your birthday, I'd like to post a very happy birthday to you with my very best for the coming year! I'm sure there are many other members who appreciate all the time and effort you put into the corner, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the great job! :happybirthday:

Marilyn
online in the weird state of NJ!! :D

I do most of my listening in my Ford Ranger, and I only have a single-disk player, so we'll have to go with what's in my CD case at the moment. I only carry a few CDs with me at any one time, unless I'm on a long road-trip...the rest are safe at home!

All these are home-brewed compilations except #7.

1. (currently in player) A currently-untitled disk of instrumentals I'm working on. Mostly somewhat spacy stuff, as opposed to straight-ahead rock or jazz. It includes diverse stuff by the likes of ELO, Cirque Du Soleil, Alan Parsons, and others. I'm editing and segueing the tracks strategically so it plays like a "suite" rather than just a collection of songs. Coming along great!

2. Alan Parsons: ANTHOLOGY. 4 disks of The Alan Parsons Project.

3. Genesis: THE MUSICAL BOX. A home-made best-of.

4. Daryl Hall / John Oates: HOT CHA. Ditto.

5. Carpenters: CRESCENT NOON. I hate using plain old titles like "Best of Carpenters," so most of my disks have real "album titles" and covers with actual artwork.

6. A Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass compilation which is unfinished. (I keep tweaking it...) It hasn't got a title or a cover yet.

7. A 12-disk set of The Jack Benny Program, for when I'm in a Benny mood.

Amazingly, I have no Sergio Mendes on board at the moment. I think I listen to more Sergio (and Herb) in the summertime.

I've got a lot of homemade collections (compilations) and 'compressions'. My collections are usually just favorites unless I'm working on a specific theme. Compressions are where I take two or three CDs and combine them on one. Stevie Ray Vaughn's four studio CDs compressed down to two, and the first one had room for one of the bonus tracks. (Both are adjacent in the CD changer. :D )

I'm almost getting to the point now where, with the exception of very few artists (like Steely Dan and Genesis), I'd rather hear my own compilations. I'd rather make my own CD and skip the tracks I don't care for as much as my favorites. This works out good for a changer, or car travel, so I get a lot more music in a smaller space.

Is your Genesis "Musical Box" a collection of newer tracks? Maybe a good title for an early Peter Gabriel-era Genesis set would be "I Know What I Like (In Your CD Collection)". :wink:

[/i]

Mike Blakesley said:
I do most of my listening in my Ford Ranger, and I only have a single-disk player, so we'll have to go with what's in my CD case at the moment. I only carry a few CDs with me at any one time, unless I'm on a long road-trip...the rest are safe at home!

All these are home-brewed compilations except #7.

1. (currently in player) A currently-untitled disk of instrumentals I'm working on. Mostly somewhat spacy stuff, as opposed to straight-ahead rock or jazz. It includes diverse stuff by the likes of ELO, Cirque Du Soleil, Alan Parsons, and others. I'm editing and segueing the tracks strategically so it plays like a "suite" rather than just a collection of songs. Coming along great!

2. Alan Parsons: ANTHOLOGY. 4 disks of The Alan Parsons Project.

3. Genesis: THE MUSICAL BOX. A home-made best-of.

4. Daryl Hall / John Oates: HOT CHA. Ditto.

5. Carpenters: CRESCENT NOON. I hate using plain old titles like "Best of Carpenters," so most of my disks have real "album titles" and covers with actual artwork.

6. A Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass compilation which is unfinished. (I keep tweaking it...) It hasn't got a title or a cover yet.

7. A 12-disk set of The Jack Benny Program, for when I'm in a Benny mood.

Amazingly, I have no Sergio Mendes on board at the moment. I think I listen to more Sergio (and Herb) in the summertime.
Hi Mike-

I'm a big Hall and Oates fan but can't figure which album that is (Hot Cha) . One of my all time top ten albums is Hall and Oates "War Babies", produced by Todd Rundgren in 1974! :twisted:

Neil - My Genesis "Musical Box" is all more recent Collins-era material. My title song is part of "Old Medley," from a live album called The Way We Walk: The Longs. I've been wanting to get more of the Gabriel-era stuff, along with some real Gabriel albums....so much music, so little money!

Steven - Hot-Cha is not a Hall & Oates album. It's my own title for my home-grown compilation. I got the title from the song "You Must Be Good for Something," from the Beauty on a Back Street album...just before the guitar solo, you hear Hall say "Hot cha." It's also the name of one of their publishing companies. Aside from all that, it's just a cool title! :cool:

"The Musical Box" goes back to the third Genesis album, Nursery Cryme, on which Phil Collins and Steve Hackett make their first appearance.

For Peter Gabriel, I'd strongly recommend the three albums Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel and Peter Gabriel. :wink: Some fans name them after the cover. The first four are named the same, but you'd be looking for #1 ("car"), #3 ("melt") and #4 ("mask", which was released with the unapproved title of Security by Geffen in the US). #2, BTW, is called "tear" or "rip". (It's the underdog of all his albums.) Once you see the covers, you'll understand. He made some good music on So (which had the hid "Sledgehammer", along with "Big Time" and "Don't Give Up"), but if you'll pardon the pun, the genesis of his solo career lies more in the first four CDs. I'd only recommend his newest one, Up, if you find you like the original CDs, especially #3 ("melt"), since it is thematically similar. You can hear over the various albums how he refines his storytelling craft. I've already made a great compilation of the first four...really some good music there if you're up for adventure! :)

Also, regarding Hot Cha--didn't they name their publishing company Hot Cha Music?

Here's what's in my CD player at the moment:

Barbra Streisand: Duets
Art Garfunkel: Everything Waits To be Noticed
Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B Minor
Barry Manilow: Here At The Mayflower
Carpenters: As Time Goes By

Today I ordered the Bee Gees Greatest Hits Double CD and await delivery in the next days.

Perhaps I will order Robbie Williams' new CD ESCAPOLOGY, too, because he makes such great music. Funny: He is one of the biggest stars in Europe nowadays, but seems to be unknown in the US. :?:

Well, the Art Garfunkel album is kind of boring, so it's out of my CD player. In there ist now the 2CD album BEE GEES: THE RECORD - GREATEST HITS.

This is great! :) Forty years of good music - very catchy, danceable tunes, but wonderful love ballads, too.

This CD should be included in everybodys CD collection!

Bruno said:
BEE GEES: THE RECORD - GREATEST HITS.

This CD should be included in everybodys CD collection!

Sorry, but I wouldn't listen to this useless crap even if you put a gun to my head. I hate the f@#$%&* Bee Gees!!! :cussing:

Capt. Bacardi
...remembering Disco Demolition night in Chicago online... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.