Where is this Lost Treasure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AandMFan

Forgive me if I overlooked this in the discography pages. I downloaded a track of "Music to Watch the Girls Go By" by Herb Alpert a long time ago and just played it again. I don't see where or when it was released. I can tell you it is without a doubt Herb. I wonder what the story behind this is, and why we haven't seen this in some form or another on CD.

Herb did not release this song commercially, although it was recorded for a TV special. (Not sure which special.)

It's possible that the one you downloaded is "Music to Watch Girls By" performed by the Bob Crewe Generation. It sounds remarkably similar to the Tijuana Brass. (Which is probably why Herb never released his version.)

I have downloaded a similar track and I am sure it is the original recording by the Bob Crewe Generation. There is, in fact, quite a bit of similarity to the TJB sound and style on that Bob Crewe recording.

I heard it performed in concert by the TJB.

I was in high school when the Bob Crewe recording was released, and remember it well.

I also downloaded this track and was convinced it was Herb - it sounds exactly like the T.J.B - I feel really gutted now! I also downloaded " Tequila " which is supposed to be Herb, but it's quite clearly by " The Champs " :thumbsdn:

I would think that if you guys were downloading (or buying) your music from legitimate sources, you would have no doubt as to who the performer is.

Note: Edited to fix a typo.

You can do a search for a artist so I checked out all the Herb Alpert tracks and both " Girls " and " Tequila " were listed. I thought this was strange as I had not heard of Herb performing either of these tracks - but I was convinced otherwise when I heard " Girls " - or so I thought! WRONG!!!! :mad:

Herb & the Brass played this tune in their TV show concert at Royal Festival Hall in London in approx. Nov. '69.

Mike Blakesley said:
I would think that if you guys were downloading (or buying) your music from legitimate sources, you would have no doubt as to who the performer is.

Note: Edited to fix a typo.

Amen to that.

Ed

Listen to the Andy Williams version of MTWGB. It sounds like the TJB rhythm section backing Andy. I think his arrangment sounds more TJB in every way other than the trumpets. BTW,I always thought that the melody for MTWGB sounded like someone took "Green Peppers" and did a variation on the theme. Particularly the bridge. Same with "Happy Heart" vs. "Tijuana Taxi", especially the bridge. Seems in the sixties, everyone was trying to sound like Herb.

David,
drinkin' a C2 and kickin' back.....

lonely bull said:
You can do a search for a artist so I checked out all the Herb Alpert tracks and both " Girls " and " Tequila " were listed.

You no doubt performed this seach on a file sharing site (such as kazaa) or something like that. No legitimate site with valid fact-checking and a legitiamte right to post music files for download would willingly post false information. While the TJB may have performed these in concert or on TV, they were never on any official TJB albums or non-LP singles. Even IF they were recorded we'd likely have to wait for Lost Treasures Volume 2 to hear a "real" Herb Alpert and the TJB version...

--Mr Bill
illegal filesharing is killing the music industry

Andy Williams' version of Music To Watch Girls By was arranged by Nick DeCaro and it is on his Columbia LP, Born Free (available on CD, packaged with Love Andy, the LP that followed...)

The engineer was Dick Bogert, which suggests that the album may have been recorded at A&M Studios (as opposed to Columbia Studios) Easily a TjB Soundalike and the words to the song were merely added to what was otherwise a song left resigned to being an instrumental, yet being the Big Hit it was for Bob Crewe, the title DID seem to beg for words, which someone close to Andy took the liberty to add to for him to sing... (and make as Big of a Hit for Mr. Williams, as well!)

Herb's Sounds Like... WAS an "answer record" to... Happy Heart vs. Tijuana Taxi, in light of those songs mentioned, along with the "Green Peppers"-like arrangement of Music To Watch Girls...

Dave

...Figuring there WILL be a Lost Treasures, 2 CD --once something OTHER THAN Music To Watch Girls By ALSO gets speculated as being "Performed by Herb..."!! :laugh:

Al Hirt's version sounded more like Herb's than anyone elses. Jumbo showed up in some strange places during that time. He also did the main title for the TV show Green Hornet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom