Which Single Should Have Been Their Biggest Hit and Why?

Which Single Should Have Been The Biggest Hit and Why

• Ticket To Ride

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close To You

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • We've Only Just Begun

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Merry Christmas Darling

• For All We Know

• Rainy Days and Mondays

• Superstar

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hurting Each Other

• It's Going To Take Some Time

• Goodbye To Love

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Sing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yesterday Once More

• Top Of The World

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I Won't Last A Day Without You

• Please Mr. Postman

• Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

• Only Yesterday

• Solitaire

• There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)

• I Need To Be In Love

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Goofus

• All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

• The Christmas Song

• Sweet, Sweet Smile

• I Believe You

• Touch Me When We're Dancing

• (Want You) Back In My Life Again

• Those Good Old Dreams

• Beechwood 4-5789

• Make Believe It's Your First Time

• Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodjeans

Which Single Should Have Been Their Biggest Hit and Why? I am strictly going by the Billboart Hot 100 in the United States to avoid any confusion. If necessary I will include each singles' top charting position but I think that unnecessary with this group.

...mine is 'Only Yesterday' because not only does it comprise every awesome element that is 'Carpenters', it is also on the month of it's release that I finally met 'them'. A magical song and a magical time in my life.

Rainy Days showcases Karen's lower register and the raw ache in her voice sounds so alone, dismal and riveting. We have the famous overdubs, Richard's exquisite arrangement and Karen in fine form. A beautiful showcase of CarpenterS in their heyday. It was #2 I believe but # one couldn't have been that far away. I wonder what was #1 that held K&R at bay? I'll bet they were pissed everytime one of their singles stalled at #2. They held some record for the most #2's didn't they?

Jeff

I wonder what was #1 that held K&R at bay?

"It's Too Late/I Feel The Earth Move", the double sided single by Carole King also on A&M. See, it took 2 songs to hold them off!

Of all the polls here on A&M Corner, this one was by far the hardest for me to decide. I certainly spent more time pondering my choice here than on any other. Though many of the singles listed here deserve to be the their "biggest hit", I went with "Close To You". Yes, I know it's not their most prolific artistic moment, nor their most dynamic performance on record... Heck, Richard actually went on to write better songs than this Bacharach classic...

But it was the song that introduced me to the wonderful talents of Karen and Richard. And by "talents", I not only refer to the introduction to the most fabulous female singer in my lifetime but it was the first time I became aware of Richard's contributions to the group. First and foremost, his arrangement of the music and the tremendous "layered" background vocals that became part of their trademark. I have always considered the Carpenters' "sound" to be Richard's production all the way....even long before he emerged to defend his positon as producer when A&M insisted on using Jack Daugherty's name on the early releases.

The enormous success of "Close To You" encouraged the whole world to take notice of this incredible musical duo. Zillions of fans followed the rest of their career after this single shot to Number One.

As for me, I went out and bought the "Ticket To Ride" / "Offering" lp and every album and single that followed from this point on. What a wonderful musical journey that turned out to be despite their tragic ending.

...by the way, I found my avatar 'Karen Carpenter Simpson' on the internet but don't remember where. If this is someone's property and I am using it illegally let me know and I'll delete it. If there is a 'Karen Carpenter Simpson' playing the drums, I am all for seeing it. Thanks. :D

As with a lot of polls, it's easier to pick least favorites cough"Goofus"cough. But I think the top best pinnacle Carpenters singles are "Close to You," "Superstar," and "Yesterday Once More." I never get tired of hearing any of these great songs. Of those three, I think I'll give my vote to "Yesterday Once More." They have great lyrics, memorable hooks, they make you feel all fuzzy for the good old days and sound great. The other two have all those qualities too, but "Yesterday Once More" has the added plus of being a homegrown Carpenters song, so it gets the nod from me.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of votes for "Only Yesterday" but that song has always sounded overproduced to me.

Well, I voted for BE-echwood-4-5789... That always seemed to be a very good interpretation of a very underrated single even by the original group... (The Marvelettes?)

I don't think it even made it to the CLASSICS, VOL. 2 double-CD set...

Dave

I've always been very fond of Goodbye to Love. It just has everything going for it.

Interestingly, Richard himself might have voted for Yesterday Once More. What do you think?

Marilyn

Even though 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' is my all time favourite Carpenters track, I went with 'Only Yesterday', for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it has all the magic ingredients of the Carpenters sound: Karen's rich lower register; the overdubbed sound in the choruses (Richard once said this track contains more overdubs by just the two of them, than any other Carpenters track); the sax solo; catchy hook; beautiful arrangement...what more could you want?

The other reason of course is that it's the first ever Carpenters song that I heard, back in 1990 when I was 16. So sentimentally it holds a special place in my heart too :)

"Touch Me When We're Dancing" was such a stunning renewal for the group!

MADE IN AMERICA, altogether was a really great album and enough that my ROLLING STONE RECORD GUIDE should'a reviewed it, too (even getting the write-off and low ratings The Carpenters get!)...

A come-back which should'a kept on going, especially on the strength of that song!

Dave

Dave said:
"Touch Me When We're Dancing" was such a stunning renewal for the group!

A come-back which should'a kept on going, especially on the strength of that song!

Yeah I agree Dave, I think partly that's why it's my favourite, because it hints at what might have come in the 80s had Karen lived. So classy, and I love how it got to #16 on the Billboard Charts. As Richard said, it was just a matter of time before they came up with something that the public just couldn't resist. I think they were only a song or two away from that.

I have to admit that this was a VERY tough call between "Superstar" and "Rainy Days and Mondays." Both of those songs completely epitomize what is "Carpenters" to me -- Karen was never more in her element than when she sang something dark and melancholy.

In the end, I went with "Superstar," as it is just the perfect song. Timeless, both in songwriting and production. And one of the best vocal performances of all time.

David

I think I would also have to go with Superstar. Love it. But I wish "A Song for You" had been released as a single...probably would have done really well!!

jonathan

I think "Close to you" is the Carpenters signature song. I have their classic sound, Richard's great arrangement, and Karen's sultry vocal. The fact that is was a Bacharach song makes it even more special.

First of all, I'm not a hard core passionate Carpenters fan. I enjoyed their music and am aware of 90% of the songs posted. From my point of view, there were two songs that stood far above the rest. Goodbye To Love and Superstar. Great songwriting, great melodies, not just pop fluff with these 2. I voted for Goodbye To Love. The cool guitar solo put it just slightly above Superstar.

I'd say that Top of the World warrants the spot - after all, it's the hit that nearly wasn't! Public opinion finally got it released as a single, and deservedly so. It was perhaps a bit more optimistic than some of the classic melancholy stuff (Superstar, Rainy Days, Goodbye to Love), but had all of Rich's brilliance in the arrangement (especially the Single remix), with Karen's full vocals and of course the multilayered vocals by both of them. It's the hit that hooked me as a 10 year old in '72.

I agree--"Top Of The World" really was a bit of a relief from the usual more sadder stuff... My mom bought this very single (with the newer green & yellow Forget Me (K)Not striped label) and I don't think I remember what was on the other side, as it probably never got played even by me, as mom passed it over to...

I had no idea about a "single remix"...; is it that different from the album version?

Dave

This is the chart of Carpenters Top 100 singles as found in Billboard Magazine over the years.

Code:
Chart		
Pos	Wks	Title
--------------------------------------------------------------------
74	04	BEechwood 4-5789
72	08	(Want You) Back In My Life Again
68	05	I Believe You
67	10	Bless The Beasts & Children
63	06	Those Good Old Dreams
56	05	Goofus
54	12	Ticket To Ride
44	13	Sweet, Sweet Smile
35	10	All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
32	14	Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
25	11	I Need To Be In Love
17	10	Solitaire
16	14	Touch Me When We're Dancing
12	10	It's Going To Take Some Time
12	13	There's A Kind Of Hush
11	12	I Won't Last A Day Without You
07	10	Goodbye To Love
04	13	Only Yesterday
03	13	For All We Know
03	14	Sing
02	12	Hurting Each Other
02	12	Rainy Days And Mondays
02	13	Superstar
02	14	Yesterday Once More
02	17	We've Only Just Begun
01	17	Please Mr. Postman
01	17	(They Long To Be) Close To You
01	20	Top Of The World

Given that the original question is "Which single should have been their biggest hit and why?", I would have to rule out those that did in fact reach number one.

One could argue that the many number two's deserved to go higher on the chart, and any of those would be a valid choice.

But I'm going to go with "I Need To Be In Love". It was reportedly one of Karen's favorites, and though it's a slow ballad, it deserved to go higher on the charts than 25.

Harry

You know, I almost put that one in my list of three, too. A great tune. I had forgotten that it did such a poor showing on the charts - I agree it should have gone much higher.

Dave said:
I agree--"Top Of The World" really was a bit of a relief from the usual more sadder stuff... My mom bought this very single (with the newer green & yellow Forget Me (K)Not striped label) and I don't think I remember what was on the other side, as it probably never got played even by me, as mom passed it over to...

I had no idea about a "single remix"...; is it that different from the album version?

Yes, the album version was what was released as a single in Australia (where I am - and where I got hooked on it) and Japan and charted well, which was a factor in it becoming a single in the US. Richard had never figured it for a hit, and felt that as a single it could be better. Karen rerecorded the lead, and Tony Peluso (who didn't feature on the original mix, I believe) played a lot more guitar. After years of trying to get the single mix, I was finally able to get it when it was released on a compilation album here in Australia in 1982. The single mix is pretty much what you hear on every compilation now.

Superstar - for all of the reasons already listed here. Her vocal was incredible - such pain and longing, and Richard's arrangement is the best of any of their records.

I went with "I Need To Be In Love." The music, the lyrics and (of course) the voice just melt my heart and take me to another place every single time I hear it. To me there just seems to be this hard-hitting conviction that pulls you in and makes you, as the listener, an actual part of the song.

I think they were only a song or two away from that.

...some of these comments are chilling. I agree with Dave and hate to play 'what if'...but his comment sure does ring true.

hard-hitting conviction that pulls you in and makes you, as the listener, an actual part of the song.
This may be too far off-topic but I wonder...if K&R rather than the O.K Coralle(sp) did their impeccable backing harmonies, would this song have fared better on the Top 100? I know about the later success in Japan. I am speaking directly to the pop charts in 1976.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom