Which Single Should Have Been Their Biggest Hit and Why?

Which Single Should Have Been The Biggest Hit and Why

• Ticket To Ride

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close To You

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • We've Only Just Begun

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Merry Christmas Darling

• For All We Know

• Rainy Days and Mondays

• Superstar

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hurting Each Other

• It's Going To Take Some Time

• Goodbye To Love

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Sing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yesterday Once More

• Top Of The World

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I Won't Last A Day Without You

• Please Mr. Postman

• Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

• Only Yesterday

• Solitaire

• There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)

• I Need To Be In Love

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Goofus

• All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

• The Christmas Song

• Sweet, Sweet Smile

• I Believe You

• Touch Me When We're Dancing

• (Want You) Back In My Life Again

• Those Good Old Dreams

• Beechwood 4-5789

• Make Believe It's Your First Time

• Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to read several posts again in Harry's link.

I vote for "Yesterday Once More".

I'd like to say "Only Yesterday" because this is my second favorite song. And "Only Yesterday" should have been bigger hit. Song itself, arrangement and Karen's vocal!!

My most favorite song is "I Need To Be In Love", but when it was released I was hearing American hit chart radio, I didn't feel it would be No. 1 in the U.S..
Maybe I'm satisfied with the fact that this song made hit again many years later here in Japan.

I started to hearing American Top 40 on the day that "Please Mr. Postman" was at the top of the chart. So I hadn't heard "Yesterday Once More" charted in American chart at real time. Lately I often hear American Top 40 repeat. In one of broadcast Casey Kasem said something like he said the last week "Yesterday Once More" or another song would be No. 1 this week, but not. "Yesterday Once More" could have been at No. 1 at Billboard chart like CashBox chart.
They toured, they released "Now & Then" and "Singles 1969-1973", played softball for charity. I heard radio interview taped around that time. Richard talked about Mono and they explained about recording of "Sing" and such.
If they made appearance on TV more, "Yesterday Once More" could have made bigger hit. This song has great melody and beautiful arrangement. And Karen's drums like "Please Mr. Postman"!! Karen's vocal. And Richard added some like guitar for single.
This song was very popular oversea. If promotional video was made, it would have made much bigger hit around the world.

Sakura

...hmmm. I was walking the animals this morning and saw birds on one of the few telephone lines left here above ground in Valley Forge, Pa. It made me think of 'It's Going To Take Some Time' and after all these years the line...the birds on the telephone line (next time) are crying out to me (next time) is written I now think...because the jerk isn't calling her back! The single is one of my favorites;cerebral and subtle which may have caused it's less than stellar charting. I bought the 'A Song For You' CD when it was available in (supposedly) gold and the track seemed different to me. It was more clear with different sounds. Harry or Chris or Sakura probably know the details of the changes but I have it on now and am surrounded by the beauty of it.

goodjeans said:
I bought the 'A Song For You' CD when it was available in (supposedly) gold and the track seemed different to me. It was more clear with different sounds. Harry or Chris or Sakura probably know the details of the changes but I have it on now and am surrounded by the beauty of it.

That's the more modern remix of the song, done for the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version of the CD in gold. MFSL is a company that specializes in audiophile releases, so when Carpenters A SONG FOR YOU was selected, Richard provided many modern remixes.

I personally prefer the original mix of the song, found on the Remastered Classics version of the CD, as that's the way I remember it from the LP days. I often really like Richard's remixes, but this one - sorry - it doesn't sound right. That opening piano sounds just plain wrong in that remix version.

Harry

It's Going to Take Some Time was a song I always liked but never loved - the 'remix' made all the difference for me. The original mix always sounded 'muffled' to me - this newer version brought out the instruments and Karen's vocal in a way that made me love the song.

Hi All,

After much consideration .....went with my own all time fav ...." I Need To Be In Love " ....Karen's vocal , Richard's arrangement & production & Bettis lyrics are just haunting ..... :angel:

Does the Choir really make a difference : not really ....probably this Single's release was a question of timing ....had INTBIL been released during 1973-1975 ....it would have been a smash Worldwide ....by 1976 USA Radio changes & new formats undermined this Carpenters classic plus A&M UK focused on Carpenters Albums rather than Singles during this period .... :wink:

Have heard & seen non-Choir Live versions of INTBIL with just band supporting Karen's lead vocals without any backing harmonies ....sounds superb ....:cool:

Peter UK

....had INTBIL been released during 1973-1975 ....it would have been a smash Worldwide ...
What a great point. I saw the video (as we all have) of the live performance and Karen gave the chorus a bit of a different timing... maybe behind the beat...I am no pro but it was
haunting and superb

Were Karen and Richard always the ones to choose their singles? Were they also the ones to choose when they were released? I know that they followed the charts carefully... Just wondering. I hope this doesn't cause Harry to have to make a separate channel.

All tracks mentioned were very fine. I feel like Sweet, Sweet Smile should have done well Pop. Country radio programmers liked it and played it. It was also a fine pop record. This Masquerade should have been saved for an A side single. It's worthy of it.

I decided to go with "Rainy Days And Mondays." Karen's elegantly plaintive vocal, the straightforwardness of Paul William's lyrics, and Richard's top-notch, perfectly-suited arrangement combined to make a smash hit! I was eleven during the early Summer of 1971 and I remember being so disappointed that this record did not hit number one on either the Billboard or Cashbox chart.

Following the posted question, "which one should have been the biggest hit?", "Close To You" because it was a groundbreaking arrangement of a song that, when previously recorded by others, came out so unmemorable. Richard's arrangement and R & K's vocals transcended it into a timeless classic.

Now, if the intended question was "which of their singles should have been a much BIGGER hit?.... for me, that would be either "Goodbye To Love" or "I Need To Be In Love." Perhaps if INTBIL did have Karen & Richard doing their lush backing vocals, it might have made a bit of a difference in how it sold.

I'll run with "Goodbye To Love" here. It pretty much defines the "power ballad" sound that would become more popular throughout the 70s and 80s. An important song IMHO, and has enough of the other trademark Carpenter sounds (the harmonies, arrangement, etc.) that it could have been done by nobody else.

"Only Yesterday" should have hit #1 as well--a good piece of "formula Carpenters" in my book. Catchy and memorable.

And it may not be #1 material, but "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" should have charted higher. AC radio was all over it when it was released.

"Let Me Be The One" should have been a single...I'd have placed it Top 20 had it been released. But we can save this for another poll. :D
Rudy - I couldn't agree with you more - excellent song choices. I remember hearing "Only Yesterday" on the AM radio in '75 and thinking it was the coolest radio song.

"Rainy Days and Mondays" because it has all the sadness and longing that represents Karen's voice, plus no one else has ever even come close to matching this emotional depths that Karen plumbed in this performance. Lastly, Richard said that "Rainy Days and Mondays" almost sold two million copies and yet the charts kept it from #1! This is where I would normally swear.

"Rainy Days and Mondays" because it has all the sadness and longing that represents Karen's voice, plus no one else has ever even come close to matching this emotional depths that Karen plumbed in this performance. Lastly, Richard said that "Rainy Days and Mondays" almost sold two million copies and yet the charts kept it from #1! This is where I would normally swear.

This song is probably the one that blows me away the most from their entire catalogue. I don't listen to it that often and I should, because it starts as a conversation and ends (complete with key change) with a searing vocal performance. It has everything. Beautiful strings, sax solo and an outstanding lead vocal.

I remember Richard saying back in the day that they called their ability to reach #2 but not #1 "The Capenter Curse". :wink:

The hardest survey ever....

I ultimately went with YOM - as it was and remains an anthem - perfectly suited to Karen's voice; perfectly suited to Richard's arranging dynamic.... And in a bittersweet way, embraces how I feel about the 70s when I was young and listened to the radio...

They truly were at their peak, and this song should have hit the number 1 mark - period.

The hardest survey ever....

I ultimately went with YOM - as it was and remains an anthem - perfectly suited to Karen's voice; perfectly suited to Richard's arranging dynamic.... And in a bittersweet way, embraces how I feel about the 70s when I was young and listened to the radio...

They truly were at their peak, and this song should have hit the number 1 mark - period.
"Yesterday Once More" was their biggest international hit and all the stars were lined up, yet as fate would have it at Billboard, the flip of the coin was not in their favor. Can you imagine the Carpenters' stats if so many forces would not have been working against them? Can you imagine what their sales would have really been if we hadn't been shamed for buying their records? I want to swear!

This is telling, as far as Chart action (June 14, 1975):
Only Yesterday went from#16 to #44 in One Week !
(12 weeks as of that point on the Top 100 Chart).
In the same issue:
Rock Singles Best Sellers:

What is happening?
That is quite a drop for one week.

Yesterday once more and Only yesterday should both have got to no 1 in the US charts.At least Yesterday once more got to no 1 position in Malaysia,Hong Kong and Singapore.

I am leaning to...oh, this is so very difficult....but,
ignoring #ones or two's , with a preference (bias) to
Only Yesterday--
but,
Goodbye To Love
gets my vote.
It is stark, beautifully and darkly rendered,
a 'cold' start to the song---just Karen Carpenter---
then, that soaring guitar solo,
then, those harmonies at the end.
Lyrics, arrangement, vocals, harmonies.
It's quite over-the-top for a pop song, also,
for a Carpenters' song it stands apart.
It seems to be the counter-point to the lyrical hopefulness
of "We've Only Just Begun"--another brilliant pop song.
Since the later went to #1, so , then, should this one.

I am leaning to...oh, this is so very difficult....but,
ignoring #ones or two's , with a preference (bias) to
Only Yesterday--
but,
Goodbye To Love
gets my vote.
It is stark, beautifully and darkly rendered,
a 'cold' start to the song---just Karen Carpenter---
then, that soaring guitar solo,
then, those harmonies at the end.
Lyrics, arrangement, vocals, harmonies.
It's quite over-the-top for a pop song, also,
for a Carpenters' song it stands apart.
It seems to be the counter-point to the lyrical hopefulness
of "We've Only Just Begun"--another brilliant pop song.
Since the later went to #1, so , then, should this one.
I love that one too.... I almost went there. GTL - OY and YOM were my top three. But I see that Superstar is winning with more votes.... So may of these are such classics.... Real masterpieces. At the end of the day though - I wonder if MCD wins the race? Perhaps for airplay?? I mean, 40 years of air-play....

Hi
Although i like all their songs.I think its a toss up between superstar and Only yesterday both songs afe fab and really showcases Karens vocal and Richards arrangements.

Vote has to go to "Top of the World", even though it went #1 and couldn't possibly have been much bigger. That song, particularly the remix, simply takes me somewhere else. It's ethereal. I love this song so much, I tune out everything (including its infamous "defect", the off-beat kickdrum) when Karen's mellifluous "Such a feelin's comin' over me..." comes in.

Now as for songs that could've and should've been bigger, I agree with selections like "All You Get From Love is a Love Song", "Goodbye to Love", and "I Need to Be In Love". Even with the children's choir, "Sing" has the finesse only the Carpenters can achieve; it has a bittersweet quality that belies its optimism. Despite reminiscence of "Top", "Those Good Old Dreams" isn't half bad; "Back In My Life" shares similar sentiments. My selection for the song that could've been bigger is "I Won't Last A Day Without You" -- THAT'S one heck of a song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom