Which Single Should Have Been Their Biggest Hit and Why?

Which Single Should Have Been The Biggest Hit and Why

• Ticket To Ride

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close To You

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • We've Only Just Begun

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Merry Christmas Darling

• For All We Know

• Rainy Days and Mondays

• Superstar

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hurting Each Other

• It's Going To Take Some Time

• Goodbye To Love

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Sing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yesterday Once More

• Top Of The World

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I Won't Last A Day Without You

• Please Mr. Postman

• Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

• Only Yesterday

• Solitaire

• There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)

• I Need To Be In Love

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Goofus

• All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

• The Christmas Song

• Sweet, Sweet Smile

• I Believe You

• Touch Me When We're Dancing

• (Want You) Back In My Life Again

• Those Good Old Dreams

• Beechwood 4-5789

• Make Believe It's Your First Time

• Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Yesterday went from#16 to #44 in One Week !
(12 weeks as of that point on the Top 100 Chart).
In the same issue:
Rock Singles Best Sellers:

What is happening?
That is quite a drop for one week.

In those days the charts were compiled by Billboard conducting a weekly phone poll, where they would call the stores to get their reports of the best sellers. This system has obvious flaws, not the least of which was if a store manager decided he "didn't like" (or "did like") a certain record, he might give that record or worse (or more favorable) report than it really deserved. There were also a lot of instances of store managers "estimating" the sales reports rather than reporting the real numbers. This is why there was such an upheaval when computerized reporting (referred to by Billboard as the SoundScan era) began in the early '90s. So it's possible that "Only Yesterday" was still selling higher than #44 but managers reported that it wasn't doing that well.

Answering the OP question, I am torn between "Close to You" and "Yesterday Once More." Both are perfect Carpenters records and both have that #1 hit potential. I tend to like them pretty much equally as my favorite Carpenters tunes.

I don't know if this should have been their biggest single, but I chose All You Get From Love Is A Love Song because it just happens to be the most played Carpenters song in my iTunes library at the moment. What a terrific tune, and I really love the perfect backing vocals.

My selection for the song that could've been bigger is "I Won't Last A Day Without You" -- THAT'S one heck of a song.

I'm 100% with you there - that song might have gone top 5 had there not been an embarrassment of riches i.e. so many single releases from the ASFY album.

I would have to choose Superstar. But, that's a biased choice, seeing that it's my absolute favorite.

You know, I almost put that one in my list of three, too. A great tune. I had forgotten that it did such a poor showing on the charts - I agree it should have gone much higher.
I would have to say that there are several of their songs that should have gotten a more rewarding chart position. Whether or not it was the fault of radio programming at the time, I believe that I Need To Be In Love, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song, (Want You) Back In My Life Again, as well as others had the makings of a true hit song in their time.

"I Need To Be In Love" was my choice. Because to me it is The Essence Of The Carpenters at their Ballad-y Best. And the arrangement IMO somewhat reminds me of their earlier hit "We've only just begun"! And it is one of my all time favorite Carpenters songs of all time.

I don't think their tie to "(They Long To Be) Close To You" will ever be severed... That is their most-recognized tune and its legacy combined w/ theirs will never be lived down...

-- Dave

I notice I made an error in my post#72,
that is,
We've Only Just Begun
did not officially chart#1.
If memory serves it was held at bay by the Partridge Family.
Be that as it may, if this isn't a Number One song, then I do not know what is !
My hat is (still) off to Richard Carpenter for recognizing this song's potential from the
Bank Commercial he viewed on television.
This is one (among others, of course) instance where he did everything absolutely right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom