• No

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

manifan

I'm really on the fence about this one. It will be totally unlike the TJB sound I love. I don't think I'll like the way the "Whipped Cream" album is jazzed up. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'll be standing in line on release day, just like with any product with the name "Alpert" on it. Can't wait!

Even what I consider the worst releases by Mr. A, have some redeeming features that are worthwhile.

Harry

I'll buy it. I did not buy COLORS because I didn't like SECOND WIND and also because of the way it was reviewed here; but RE-WHIPPED promises to be a fun listen, if only to see how things have been updated. And there will probably be an interesting essay in the booklet (hopefully NOT written by Josh Kun.) And maybe a poster of the cover, which would be worth the price of admission right there!

Bottom line, it's only $12 or so, and won't make a whit of difference in the grand scheme of most people's lives, so I'd say any fan oughta buy it. If you hate it, there's always eBay.

I actually DID look for it at my Local Record Store! (...Harmony House, which is now, fYe...)

...Though, remembered that, ...It isn't out yet...!; (...Read on the Board, here, that March 7th is the release-date!) :jester:

Yes, I'm-a-Gittin' It...!! :goofygrin:

Dave

That would be March 7th for most of the country. I'm not sure what goes on up there in Michigan.

Harry

Anyone here anything from this album on XM Radio anywhere? You'd think that one of the channels would be featuring tracks from it...or better yet, how about an hour-long special with an interview from Herb?

Harry said:
That would be March 7th for most of the country. I'm not sure what goes on up there in Michigan.

Harry

Oops! I meant March 7th! :oops:

Dave

...who really typed the WRONG NUMBER, online...! :blinkeye: :angel:

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, there is no booklet or poster with it, just a flyer with the rest of the reissues on it.

This thing is getting better circulation 'pre-release' than TIMELESS did. WTF?

Mike B.
...who's in the freakin' business and doesn't have a copy yet...

Mike Blakesley said:
This thing is getting better circulation 'pre-release' than TIMELESS did. WTF?

Mike B.
...who's in the freakin' business and doesn't have a copy yet...

Don't feel bad - I'm in the "left out" category too.

Harry
...suddenly in the mood to hear a song by "The Coasters", online...

I'm gonna buy it. My question is...How are they planning to market the CD to the 16+ year old crowd, or are they? How does a 70 year old guy market himself to the "Hip Hop" youth obsession culture without alienating the mini-van folk? I hope it works :thumbsup: ...........later...Jay

In answer to the original post; no, probably not.

The sound clips of Whipped Cream and Lollipops and Roses interest me, but all I hear is the sound clip, so I don't know what else is left after that on those tracks.

The rest of it does not appeal to me enough to spend the money. Hopefully, some other titles will eventually see the light of day, and I'll spend my money there.

I find it amazing that a Herb Alpert fan wouldn't just "take a chance" on buying this new REWHIPPED album. Just what is it that you've got to lose? $12? If that hurts that much, then I'm sorry for you, and you certainly have a right to choose where you spend your hard-earned money.

This is one of those albums though that's not going to appeal to everybody, and as a result there will be tons of used copies floating around on eBay and in the Amazon Marketplace.

For me, getting to hear an update on a classic old TjB album will likely be one of the highlight events of the year. I think back to the MIDNIGHT SUN album and seeing two old TjB tracks in the listing ("A Taste Of Honey", "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face"), and enjoying the fresh takes on them. It was the same with "Route 101" on PASSION DANCE, and FLAMINGO on "Second Wind". Granted, none of these new renditions will ever replace the versions I first heard on the original albums, but it was still good to hear another take on the song, another chance for Mr. Alpert to revisit a favored melody.

So basically, what I'm saying is: Take a chance! Holy cow, you only go around once in life! What else are you goiung to do with that $12? Buy 5.38 gallons of gas? How many more times in your life will you get a chance to buy a new Herb Alpert album?

Harry

Hmmm...interesting reply...I would suppose it is response to my above post, as I seem to be the only one who has vocalized a possibility that I might not buy this album. My, how stupid and ignorant I must have become recently...to think that my own opinion might be freely expressed in direct response to the initial post, and that some modicum of respect and courtesy might be forthcoming in the process...how patently ignorant of me.

Whether it "hurts" to spend twelve dollars or not is hardly the issue...however, thanks for the concern about my financial well-being and emotional stability...

There is a reason for old, well-worn proverbs such as "to each his own," "everyone to his own notion," and "everyone has a right to his own opinion."

But, perhaps on this forum, that kind of thinking has been suspended in favor of hero worship.

Yes, I am a fan of Herb Alpert, but that does not require that I buy every product he has ever produced, or will ever produce.

And with that...peace out.

So be it. No offense intended. I was just trying to foster a little enthusiasm for a new release.

I certainly gain nothing by anyone's purchase, but you know, the more the merrier.

Hero worship? Perhaps a bit - but only in the musical sense. We're talking about an album of music. That's all. If you don't care for it - don't buy it. It won't bother me or anyone else in the least.

But if you DID buy it - we'd at least have your opinion on the full album - and THAT's something that IS cherished around here - an honest opinion.

Harry

Rudy said:
Anyone here anything from this album on XM Radio anywhere?

Heh! "His master's voice" with the wrong homonym! :)

Harry

Harry said:
So be it. No offense intended. I was just trying to foster a little enthusiasm for a new release.

I certainly gain nothing by anyone's purchase, but you know, the more the merrier.

Hero worship? Perhaps a bit - but only in the musical sense. We're talking about an album of music. That's all. If you don't care for it - don't buy it. It won't bother me or anyone else in the least.

But if you DID buy it - we'd at least have your opinion on the full album - and THAT's something that IS cherished around here - an honest opinion.

Harry

Really??? An honest opinion cherished??? I expressed mine. Seems like it wasn't useful for anything other than a target of sarcasm and condescension.

And, it won't bother me in the least, either... Duh.

Thanks again...it's been fun since 2002, but I can go somewhere else to be insulted and mocked.

Well, whatever aspects there are to this product--positive or negative--I'm going to satisfy CURIOSITY of what a Modern-Day Re-Mix of a Herb Alpert Classic "Sounds Like"--Hey, it might not be limited to JUST THIS item...! I think this is the best thing Alpert has started doing to get himself back in the spotlight--since the Reissues started coming! Can he get the Young People of TODAY, in on his "Old Product" via "where and how" the way the Youth BACK THEN bought into his works?! :idea:

Dave

...Off To Skin an Amoeba..., online!!! :laugh:

Since I have an advanced copy I can honestly say that anyone who doesn't get this album will miss out on some great music. Herb is in top form on his horn, and there's nothing that really diminishes the original album. I'm still waiting to see what the surprise is inside the CD cover that has been promised!

Capt. Bacardi

I expressed mine. Seems like it wasn't useful for anything other than a target of sarcasm and condescension.
Insulted? Mocked? Harry was just giving you a bit of a rib, and you took it personally.

Harry is probably the gentlest soul on this board. Some of the other regulars can unload MUCH more sarcastic and condescending stuff than he does! That's what makes this board fun... the varying personalities and a bit of good-natured rib-poking here and there.

Look, you can buy ReWHIPPED or not. Nobody will take it personally. But we are fans, and as fans we're pretty much duty-bound to try to talk you into it. No harm in that. What's baffling, to Harry (and to me too, frankly), is why you wouldn't risk a piddly amount of money on a new Herb album that revisits songs we all know by heart. If there was ever a modern-day Herb album that looks like a keeper for us old fans, THIS is the one.

Uh oh! It looks like somebody's got a case of the dreaded "Cabin Fever".

Hey, I’m just ribbin’

But! On a more serious note, I’ve already pre-ordered two copies of Re-Whipped. What more can I say? I’m intrigued, I’m curious, I’m a collector… I’m a nut!

I’ve got the champagne chilled and I’m ready to pop the cork to celebrate the arrival of Herb’s new CD.

Mike

Tell you what, Captain Dave, why not buy a copy, see if you like it and if you don't I'll buy it back from you.

But I reckon once you have it you won't want to part with it.

'Scuse me while I play "Lollipops and Roses" again.........

Captaindave said:
Really??? An honest opinion cherished??? I expressed mine.

You expressed an opinion based on online samples as far as I know. An "honest" opinion would be one expressed after hearing the whole thing. People who call themselves critics and skim through albums they just "know" they're going to hate drive me crazy. (And I'm not talking about you here Captaindave.)

Captaindave said:
Seems like it wasn't useful for anything other than a target of sarcasm and condescension.

If I'm not mistaken, the thread starter, manifan, began this topic with doubts over the purchase. I was not targeting you specifically. In fact, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular except however many generic fans there are out there who ARE expressing doubts.

Captaindave said:
And, it won't bother me in the least, either... Duh.

Thanks again...it's been fun since 2002, but I can go somewhere else to be insulted and mocked.

We have some site recommendations if you really want some abuse... :D

I'm sorry you took it all personally, but if you've made up your mind, then so be it. We'll be here...

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
Harry is probably the gentlest soul on this board.

I guess that means I shouldn't apply for membership in the Snark Brothers Club, huh?

Harry
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom