Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Captain Dave, you are not alone in your thinking. I've actually bought 2 copies of each of the previous releases, but I'm really not anticipating the release of this one. With the others, I had them pre-ordered and was anxiously awaiting them, although I already knew what was on them.

$12 may not be a lot, but I'd rather get something I know that I'll enjoy. Donald Fagen's new disk is days away from release. I'm a huge Fagen/Steely Dan fan, but I wouldn't eagerly anticipate new remixes of the AJA lp with new artists that I'd never heard of.

I suspect that part of the thinking is that Herb may be what stops us from getting the remainder of the Tijuana Brass catalog, and he has instead geared efforts towards this "remix" effort in an attempt to reach a younger audience. This may not be the case at all, but it's not a stretch to imagine this could be happening.

Also, there are probably those(myself included) that love the Tijuana Brass recordings, but don't have any interest in his solo recordings. If given the choice between my Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass Classics cd or the Herb Alpert solo material, it's a no brainer. I could listen to the Brass for hours on end, but RISE gets wearisome for me.(I do love Garden Party).

So, I see where Captain Dave is coming from. To at least he and I, this isn't the same as the reissues. Not only did I buy those early cd to enjoy, but to hopefully spur the release of the remainder of the Brass catalog. I guess we'll see what happens. I purposefully avoided buying the reissues used or from Ebay, but I may wait and get Rewhipped from that avenue.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
How does a 70 year old guy market himself to the "Hip Hop" youth obsession culture without alienating the mini-van folk?

Same way he did in 1965 -- put a hot babe on the cover with gobs of whipped cream strategically placed! :laugh:

--Mr Bill

In answer to the question posed by the thread topic name: YES!

--Mr Bill

Captain Bacardi said:
...There's nothing that really diminishes the original album...

Capt. Bacardi

Well, that certainly tells me to give this a "Go Ahead"...! :agree:

Mr Bill said:
In answer to the question posed by the thread topic name:

YES!

--Mr Bill

Someone make a POLL for this Topic...!! :blinkeye:

Dave :cool:

Harry said:
Rudy said:
Anyone here anything from this album on XM Radio anywhere?

Heh! "His master's voice" with the wrong homonym! :)

Harry

His Master's Voice was operating on four hours of sleep after cleaning up from a sick 11-year-old... :confused:

Have I been hear to much lately? :D

That's a pretty good excuse. You have a note from the doctor?

Harry

Harry said:
That's a pretty good excuse. You have a note from the doctor?

Harry

No, I don't. But trust me, you don't want to see the remaining evidence! :D

We all got the same flu bug here. Cold/cough/sore throat for a week or two, rather mild. Then, violently ill for like 8 or 12 hours. After that, just a lingering cough for a couple of weeks.

A lot of that going around. I've been battling a flu for the past few days - the first time in 4 years that I've had the flu. With the temps in the low 80's cedar fever has hit as well. It will keep the Puffs company in business for a while. :baah:

Capt. Bacardi

Harry said:
If I'm not mistaken, the thread starter, manifan, began this topic with doubts over the purchase. I was not targeting you specifically. In fact, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular except however many generic fans there are out there who ARE expressing doubts.
Harry
Hey -- I'm not a generic fan! I'm just sayin'...

I'll support every reissue that comes out, but this is not just a reissue. It's a complete remake. And I have to admit I'm not impressed with the sound samples. The style is not my cup of tea. That's why I'm expressing doubts about buying it. I doubt that I'd be inclined to listen to it because it doesn't have the same feel-good sound as the TJB. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

YES, I will buy the CD!! I will buy it the next Thursday March 9 than Tuesday, March 7 because that's my next paycheck!! :tongue: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Yes I will buy the Re-Whipped CD. While I'm not particularly fond of hip-hop I did by NORTH ON SOUTH STREET. And while it's probably my least favorite HA album, I wouldn't ask Mr. Tony Currie for a refund LOL. I don't expect it will thrill me anywhere near the way the original album did, but it's still going to be better than just about anything else in current release and I know all of the songs on it. Besides, Harry makes an interesting point. How many more chances will we have the buy a "new" Herb Alpert and TJB album? Especially if this one tanks. Mr. Alpert may feel that it's time to hang his trumpet up for real and I would for him to keep making music as long as he is capable. As well as releasing the rest of the TJB catalogue. If Re-Whipped increases Herb's popularity with the younger record buyers, who knows what kind of an outpouring of releases we could see. Besides those here who have heard the whole album say that Herb plays some really good trumpet, so I will have faith in Herb's instincts. As for Capt. Dave, I've been around this place long enough to know that Harry wasn't meaning to offend you. As stated before, he's a genuinely nice guy and I think you took him too seriously. I guess it's your perrogative not to visit or post here anymore, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that your posts are typically insightful and respected by the vast majority of us including Harry. He is just excited as I am about a new HA release. Your posts will be missed if you stop visiting us.

David,
asking all to take a deep breath......

If Re-Whipped increases Herb's popularity with the younger record buyers, who knows what kind of an outpouring of releases we could see.
Good point.

I sure hope the Shout! promotional machine kicks into a higher gear with this disk than it did with all the previous TJBs.

Got my copy yesterday (from an half.com seller). "Whipped Cream" and "Tangerine" are the best remixes, IMO.

However, I don't understand why all the original tracks have to be so filtered and placed so far back in the mix. This type of mixing is used on almost every track. It sounds like all the mix artists had to work with was a cassette copy of the original LP.

Remember this is just my opinion, you folks may feel different when you hear it.

Hi Chris:

rmos said:
However, I don't understand why all the original tracks have to be so filtered and placed so far back in the mix. This type of mixing is used on almost every track. It sounds like all the mix artists had to work with was a cassette copy of the original LP.

Unfortunately that's how many "sampled" remixes sound--I don't know if that is intentional or not. I've heard samples that were "dulled" considerably from their original version.

I'm listening to my "Advance CD" of REWHIPPED right now, (it just arrived) and I think it's great. Tony, I can understand why this hasn't left your CD player. It's likely to get stuck in mine for quite awhile.

In answer to why the old sampled stuff sounds like an old cassette, I think it's done on purpose as a way of keeping the sounds they want and filtering out the stuff they don't want. Many times a song's total beat structure will change with the new material, and the old beat structure would get in the way. By filtering those sounds out (bass, high-pitched cymbals, etc.), a mid-rangey sound is left for the remixers to work with. Then for consistency, they'll even record the new parts (Herb's trumpet, in this case) with that same kind of tonality.

To compare this disc to Sergio's new one, I'd say that this one sounds more like a Herb Alpert disc than TIMELESS does a Sergio Mendes disc, so those afraid of modern sounds getting in the way of enjoyment can put their minds somewhat at ease. This is much more approachable - and I found all of the rap on Sergio's TIMELESS to be approachable enough for me.

This one's a keeper.

Harry
NP: Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass - REWHIPPED

I can't for the life of me understand why the discussion can get so heated about whether or not one will buy an album/CD, especially before it's been heard in its entirety. Consider these facts. The sound clips do not do justice to their respective tracks. Secondly, beauty is in the eye or this case ear, of the beholder. Herb has said many times over the years in interviews, that he makes music that is pleasing to his ears and hopes that many others will be in agreement. History has proven him to be pretty accurate, not only with his music, but with his choice of other artists signed to A&M as well.

As for the to be released Re-Whipped, I have had an advance copy for several weeks now and just can't stop playing it! There are new Herb solos here. The man is 70 years old. Just how many more new releases will he have? Who knows? But we do know that he isn't doing albums as in the TJB days when two albums a year came out.

I have been a fan of Herb Alpert since 1964, when I was 12 years old. My 1st A&M album was South Of The Border and I bought each & every Herb Alpert album as it was released. Did I love each and every one? No, Just You And Me, North On South Street and Midnight Sun rarely get played. But if you are playing the percentages, would I never buy another Herb release because these three fall short of my expectations? No! And the reason is that I would be surely missing out on some wonderful releases that issued after each of the aforementioned three.

We all seem to be here at A&M Corner because of our mutual appreciation for Herb, Julius, Sergio, The Carpenters and the many other great artists who recorded for A&M. I never put a lot of stock in what the critics wrote or even what other people were listening to. If I like an artist, then I was a loyal follower. For those who try to dissect and analyze a song or album - I really don't understand. To me, you like it or you don't. Some songs, given a chance after multiple listens, begin to grow on me and I find that my opinion changes for the better. What you or I like is subjective - there is no right or wrong answer! :D

...and to add to what Steve said, the advantages with REWHIPPED is that you already know and like the songs on it. These are just fresh ways of interpreting those songs through the "art" of remixing.

Steve is also correct in that "liking" or "not liking" something is very personal. No two people like exactly the same things. So if you don't like the idea of these remixed songs, and you're not interested enough to explore, then you can always sit back, relax, put on your old WHIPPED CREAM disc and savor the familiar sounds you know and love.

No-one's forcing anything on anyone. It's just that some of us get rather excited around release time on our favorite subjects, and we want everyone to join in the conversations and enjoyment we're having.

Harry

Well, when Sergio's TIMELESS was released, it was the top-seller among the new releases at our warehouse.

Herb's RE-WHIPPED doesnt' even show up in the first four pages of new releases. (After a point, everything starts being listed alphabetically and Herb is included in the alphabetical list, meaning it's not selling all that much.) :sad:

Another problem is, they are listing it as a "various artists" package instead of a Herb Alpert package. For various artist packages, you have to type in the album title as the "artist" to see it. Thus, anyone looking at "Herb Alpert" doesn't see this album! GRRRRR (I emailed them about this but haven't heard if they'll change it or not.)

It comes up as "Various Artists" on Windows Media Player too. Winamp, however reports it as Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass.

Harry

Of course I'll buy it! I've got my copies on order. As I've only heard the sound clips, I should be cautious in what I say, but I'd much prefer a proper new jazz release from Herb. Those who have heard him improvise in concert or have heard him letting rip on the Music For Your Eyes video might share my view.

One gripe - I have heard nothing - absolutely nothing - about any of the S!F releases in the UK. While one might argue that there is a limited market for the Lonely Bull here, the mid 60's stuff should certainly still prove popular in certain quarters. And for ReWhipped not to have been given any publicity in the UK is, shall we say, a little surprising.

I'm looking forward to ReWhipped!

Stephen

I placed my order yesterday, as much out of curiosity as anything. If I find the disc a crashing disappointment, I'll still have supported Herb, and I'm sure my local record exchange will relieve me of it. :shock:

Stephen Vakil said:
One gripe - I have heard nothing - absolutely nothing - about any of the S!F releases in the UK. While one might argue that there is a limited market for the Lonely Bull here, the mid 60's stuff should certainly still prove popular in certain quarters. And for ReWhipped not to have been given any publicity in the UK is, shall we say, a little surprising.

According to the amazon.co.uk site, the Alpert re-issues from last year were all released in the UK on the "High Coin" label. I'm assuming that is either a British division of Shout! or an independent label in the UK that managed to snag these Shout! releases. I, personally have never heard of the "High Coin" label.

RE-WHIPPED, however, is listed on the UK site as a Shout! import.

Harry

Hi Harry - that's right. I've got one copy of (I think) everything on the High Coin label for completeness...

My point was - no reviews in any of the press, nothing on radio, television etc. As I've said before, if it wasn't for A&M Corner, I'd know nothing about any of the releases. Would it have been so difficult to blitz the press here with some marketing material and maybe - for a few select journalists - set up some interviews (if only by phone) with HA? I really think the marketing boys have missed a trick here!

Hope all well with you

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom