Wink Martindale's role in A&M's Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
You may be familiar with Wink Martindale, the famed TV game show host, recording personality and radio talent. In the late '50s, he was known as Win Martindale and spent time as a record promotion man for Dot.

Yesterday, he responded to my question about his friendship with Herb and Jerry in the very early days as A&M Records was being formed. Here's his response:

Jerry was my dear friend as a record promotion man when I was a deejay at KFWB in the sixties, prior to he and Herb forming A&M. I was in A&R at Dot Records (1962) when I picked up the master of Dore Alpert's "Tell It To The Birds", a local hit....for national distribution. Paid Dore (Herb) $700 for the master. The record went nowhere really. But I have a framed picture in my archive signed by both Jerry and Herb saying "To Wink. Without your good ear and $700 we might never have made it". Needless to say, they DID make it, bigtime.

I enjoyed reading this too & learning that there was a lot more to Wink Martindale, such as his help in developing A&M...

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom