• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Zanzibar"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland mike

If I am remembering correctly, when the Japanese cd reissue of 1971's Pais Tropical became available, many of us critical listeners were appalled by the deleting of the"Zanzibar" opening guitar tuning and counting 1-2-3-4. It just didn't sound right after hearing it on vinyl that way for so many years. However, a couple of days ago, I was listening to a compilation cd(which I had not listened to in a long time) that includes the "Zanzibar" track WITH the tuning and counting. The cd is entitled Brazilica!- part of the Talking Loud series on Phonogram Ltd. made in England. Quite an interesting roster of artists- Sergio, Dom Um, Edu Lobo, Tamba Trio, Gilberto Gil, Elis Regina and several others. Still the highlight for me is having "Zanzibar" restored with (probably Oscar Castro- Neves) tuning his guitar and Sergio counting for the downbeat. A great track on a greatly underrated album.

I have that "Brazilica" comp somewhere. I bought it just because "Zanzibar" was on it. Agreed it is a great track and includes one of Sergio's best piano solos.

I can't say I was too distressed when the little guitar lick/countdown was left off the Japanese CD - I think I was more bummed about the altered "Brasilia" on the WHAT NOW MY LOVE Tijuana Brass album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom