• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

UK Carpenters night comin up June 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but this actress really doesn't look at all like Karen to me. :sad:

For these sorts of things, I think all the actress needs is a passing resemblance. The clothes, make-up and a decent wig should do that. It's her ability to portray Karen's complex character and draw you in which is the most important thing. It will also help if her accent is close to Karen's.

They could cast an actress who looks very similar, but is hopeless at everything else.

It is great that this is being made as it's something new and it shows that that there is still a big enough audience out there to warrant the programme being produced.

I'm sorry, but this actress really doesn't look at all like Karen to me. :sad:
I was watching TV about just over a year ago when I saw this face in the audience. Maybe I want to see a resemblance, when really there isn't one at all.
13320991_10206538949334809_5656509145826802632_o.jpg

Being a moderator here for as long as I have, I've seen many differing opinions on who people think looks like Karen and who they feel doesn't. I'm of the belief that there are very few totally identical faces on our planet, even though there are some impersonators who have pretty close resemblances. I once looked in the rear-view mirror of my car and saw a guy behind me who looked just like me. Fortunately he wasn't driving an identical car or I'd have been looking for Rod Serling to pop up somewhere...

Anyway, some people look like others - to some people. I can't tell you the number of times I've said to my wife, "Don't you think "so and so" looks just like your Uncle "so and so"?" And she'll say, "Not at all", and I'll reply that he looks just like him. Some of us felt that Cynthia Gibb did an OK job in the movie but wasn't all that close in looks to Karen, but close enough for a bio-pic. Some felt it was the absolute worst casting choice ever. These are all subjective views, since it would be extremely rare to:

- a) find a woman of the right age who looks exactly like Karen
- b) and that woman happens to be a capable actress
- c) that woman is ready and willing to accept the part

So, while my worst fears are that this upcoming UK program might in fact be another tabloid-type presentation meant to sensationalize the tragic story, I'll at least cut the producers a bit of slack in that the actress pictured looks acceptable to me.

As for Chris Mills' picture above? Nope. Don't see any resemblance.

Harry

I don't think it will be shown on Reelz until a later date. I'm interested to see who's been interviewed for this as only half of it is dramatised so hopefully there will be some new interview footage of friends and industry associates. I'm wondering whose voice it is on this clip that says "it was all about Richard"...it sounds like Joan Pennisi.

The voice you hear saying "it was all about Richard" is actually childhood friend Carol DeFilippo. She grew up in East Haven and attended Nathan Hale School with Karen. This is her first time doing an on-screen interview and I CAN'T WAIT! Great lady! I interviewed for this documentary a few months ago in Los Angeles. Also interviewed were Werner Wolfen, Carole Curb, Mike Curb, and a few others I can't recall at this time. It should definitely offer some new perspective.

Randy Schmidt

The voice you hear saying "it was all about Richard" is actually childhood friend Carol DeFilippo. She grew up in East Haven and attended Nathan Hale School with Karen. This is her first time doing an on-screen interview and I CAN'T WAIT! Great lady! I interviewed for this documentary a few months ago in Los Angeles. Also interviewed were Werner Wolfen, Carole Curb, Mike Curb, and a few others I can't recall at this time. It should definitely offer some new perspective.

Randy Schmidt

Sounds like a very interesting line up of people. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say on this to, Randy! :)

Looking forward to when this special pops up on the internet so I can watch it. But like some others, I'm concerned about it just being a sensationalized view.

The British tend to have more respect when it comes to Carpenters. Mind you, I'm saying this as a U.S. resident.

I tried to explain to a Brit how Carpenters image was not embraced in the American 70's. He said he thought it an odd reaction coming from the country who gave the world Donny Osmond. :wink:

I wonder "Do they have Richard's approval for the music to be used in the soundtrack"?

I don't believe they need it, as it's billed as a "documentary" (and thusly would fall under "critique" fair use) as opposed to a straight-up drama (even though that's part of it).

I think I'm more looking forward to the hits programme after the documentary than the documentary itself. I wonder whether it'll just be the Gold DVD music videos or whether they'll include a few different hits or footage? I Need to be in Love from the Bruce Forsyth show would be good, or the original video for the same song. Not long to go now...

I think I'm more looking forward to the hits programme after the documentary than the documentary itself. I wonder whether it'll just be the Gold DVD music videos or whether they'll include a few different hits or footage? I Need to be in Love from the Bruce Forsyth show would be good, or the original video for the same song. Not long to go now...

The Channel 5 description lists it as a "music show featuring 16 of Carpenters' greatest hits, including classic performances and official music videos, plus interesting and fun facts with each song".

The Gold DVD has 15 tracks as opposed to the 16 featured on this programme so we'll see, but some archive TV performances as you say would be a lovely treat and a surprise.

Last edited:
This sounds like a "3 hanky" show from the description. Not sure about watching it if it's posted online.

Into the first ad break and it's great so far...some archive footage and pictures especially from the early 1970s I have never seen before. Nicky Chinn, Carole Curb, Carol Landino, Frank Bonito, Debbie Vaiuso, Werner Wolfen, Paul Gambaccini and Dionne Warwick feature so far. It also includes original Carpenters music.

1st advert...

So far nothing that new and the actress playing Karen has bit of a big nose, which is no big deal but a bit off putting as Karen didn't have one.

Her accent isn't much like Karen's but a UK audience aren't expecting her to sound anything more than vaguely American.

There have a been a few teasers including Karen yelling at Richard: "You told everyone everything!" or something along those lines. Intrigued to know what she means!

PS - by nothing new, I mean in terms of information, but the interviews whilst all mainly people that have been interviewed before it seems to be new footage. Hope that makes sense!

Dennis Heath, John Adrian, Derek Green and Brian Southall (A&M UK) and Mike Curb are also featured in part two. There is a lot of unseen archive footage and quite a few unseen family photos which I think you will all be really surprised and delighted by! There's also a snippet from the Bruce Forsyth show, including 'I Need To Be In Love' :)

Also worth noting is that it covers their early years quite a bit, it doesn't just start in 1978 as I had expected.

2nd advert...

They've fast-forwarded into Richard's problems and him quitting in Vegas and Karen coming to London on her own. It's pretty good so far and the actress playing Karen is doing a good job and drawing me in.

I'm 'enjoying' it so far in that it's pretty well done, but it makes me feel sad :sad:

First possible error - would Richard have a jacket a with a Carpenters logo on it when they received the news that Close to You had made it to no. 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom