• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

UK Carpenters night comin up June 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I can't wait until someone posts this online! Thanks for the updates! I've been going crazy trying to find a (legit) site that would stream Channel 5 to the US. No dice, and Windows detected some malware. :sad:

This sounds like a "3 hanky" show from the description. Not sure about watching it if it's posted online.

I think it's worth watching, it all depends what kind if 'place' you are in about such documentaries.

Personally, I think watching such documentaries helps truly understand Karen's ordeal.

Sometimes I think I have to watch something like this and really feel the misery as not doing so makes me think as though I can't watch just because it's easier not too. It's not about me and I have to grow a pair and watch it as it's not as though it's happening to me is it?!

Everyone is different, though.

I've never seen that footage before. I've been very impressed with this documentary, some of the acting is a bit off but I was expecting that. The actress playing Karen though is excellent.

I would agree with that. The actors playing Richard and Agnes were ok and Agnes certainly came across as a controlling and rather horrible old cow, so I guess that's 'job done'. Not sure about the guy playing Harold though. He didn't have many lines, but at one stage he sounded Dutch or something!

Werner said losing Karen was like losing a daughter. Everyone did try their best, even Agnes, who must have been devastated at losing her only daughter.

Yes, that was very touching and I wonder if Werner took part with Richard's blessing. As someone else said, it was probably as close to Richard taking part as is possible without him being there himself.

Stephen that photo you posted above of Karen singing with the mic is a new photo however there is another photo that has surfaced of Karen in the same exact shirt with Richard together (not sure if it's the same event) I have it saved in my Carpenters folder of photos, you may have it as well it's a very small photo. The screen of her shirt looks like a Chinese or Japanese symbol and what looks like a dragon.

You're spot on. I think it's from the same appearance in Europe late 1981 and I think this is the last Europe video we're missing.

One more teaser :)

20160604_000009_zps13mg1bjo.jpg

Oh man, I can't wait until someone posts this online! Thanks for the updates! I've been going crazy trying to find a (legit) site that would stream Channel 5 to the US. No dice, and Windows detected some malware. :sad:

Give it a few days I'm sure it will appear online :). I was a bit conscious about providing constant updates in case some members objected to them as spoilers but I was just sharing the love and excitement :)

Give it a few days I'm sure it will appear online :). I was a bit conscious about providing constant updates in case some members objected to them as spoilers but I was just sharing the love and excitement :)
Don't worry no one had to read the updates......time to come back down to earth and get some sleep!

While I'm watching this thread and getting updated....some need to be careful with your choice of words, I didn't like reading your use of terms to describe Agnes, (wideawakeat4am) ^^ I think you could have left that out and off the board. We need to remember this was/is a family and although Karen and Richard were in the public eye, none of them deserve to be called names on a public forum. Let's just be careful with how we use our words. It was Karen's mother and she loved her mother just like any daughter would.

Thank you all for your informal reviews. Since you are all reporting so favorably on it, I'll have to watch it when I get the opportunity. I was just afraid it might be sensationalized. That was my reasoning anyway. Didn't want to go there. But I don't read here that anyone was offended. So thanks for the (not so spoiling) spoilers.

Randy's book was so sensitive and heartbreaking at times it took me a while to read it all. If this program is as honest and open, I'll buck up.

And I agree about being more careful what we say here. Perhaps her family and friends are reading.

Thank you all for your informal reviews. Since you are all reporting so favorably on it, I'll have to watch it when I get the opportunity. I was just afraid it might be sensationalized. That was my reasoning anyway. Didn't want to go there. But I don't read here that anyone was offended. So thanks for the (not so spoiling) spoilers.

Randy's book was so sensitive and heartbreaking at times it took me a while to read it all. If this program is as honest and open, I'll buck up.

If I may say it, the show was a nice extension to Randy's book and the perfect way to update it for 2016. All of Karen's friends spoke warmly (if also sadly) of her and it left me with nothing but respect for the production team, who managed to unearth some footage and photos that most of us here haven't seen. And that's no mean feat, believe me.

Stephen that photo you posted above of Karen singing with the mic is a new photo however there is another photo that has surfaced of Karen in the same exact shirt with Richard together (not sure if it's the same event) I have it saved in my Carpenters folder of photos, you may have it as well it's a very small photo. The screen of her shirt looks like a Chinese or Japanese symbol and what looks like a dragon.

As soon as I saw the new photo in last night's show, I knew straight away where it was from. There are one or two more TV shows they appeared in during their trip to Europe in 1981 that still haven't surfaced on Youtube and this is where this picture is from. It's one of these two appearances:

17th October - Palmares Show, Paris France (Touch Me When We're Dancing)
19th October - Numero Un, Paris, France (Sing)

Here's the other photo Rick mentions above with Karen wearing the same sweater.

kc1981_zps2m6k54vi.jpg

While I'm watching this thread and getting updated....some need to be careful with your choice of words, I didn't like reading your use of terms to describe Agnes, (wideawakeat4am) ^^ I think you could have left that out and off the board. We need to remember this was/is a family and although Karen and Richard were in the public eye, none of them deserve to be called names on a public forum. Let's just be careful with how we use our words. It was Karen's mother and she loved her mother just like any daughter would.

That's fair enough. Point taken onboard.

I found it more insightful than other docu. dramas I've seen on them. I really felt for Karen. All of these people around her that loved her, but were equally possessive and blinkered to what Karen wanted. She must have felt stifled by everyone, but also dependent on them at the same time. Its not like she could just go shopping for a few hours to get some space, being a massive star that she was.
Watching and listening to Karen always brings a tear to my eye. Here in the UK, the Carpenters are still very much admired and still sell a healthy amount of CDS annually.
RIP Karen and best wishes to Richard.

I was a bit conscious about that too.

I don't think that there are any 'spoilers' as such as the information itself isn't new.

If I may say it, the show was a nice extension to Randy's book and the perfect way to update it for 2016. All of Karen's friends spoke warmly (if also sadly) of her and it left me with nothing but respect for the production team, who managed to unearth some footage and photos that most of us here haven't seen. And that's no mean feat, believe me.

I agree about the book and think that without Randy's book, this programme would not have been possible.

I was a bit worried about the dramatisation side of it, however, I thought it was very well done and gave new insight into Karen's struggle. Although a lot of the conversations were scripted along the lines of what people think may have been said, it didn't seem too far what could very well be the truth. There's no interview footage of Karen really talking about herself and how she really felt, so seeing her being so real was quite something....even though it's still an actress playing a part and reading lines written by someone else.

I'm not going to lie, it's upsetting but it many ways necessary viewing.

"
The programme you are trying to watch isn't currently available. Please try again later.

CA-UNKNOWN"

:sad:

Maybe you could Skype with someone while they leave their webcam pointing at their TV?

I was a bit conscious about that too.

Maybe you could Skype with someone while they leave their webcam pointing at their TV?

I'm not sure how the latency would work on that. When I've tried to share videos via Skype in the past, it hasn't worked too well. I did find a Firefox extension, after it was too late of course, that lets you use a UK proxy IP address. Unfortunately, it only works with live TV, so I can watch Channel 5 online NOW (sigh). The above link still doesn't work, even with that, presumably because it's a https link rather than http.

(Could someone pretty please, with a cherry on top, put it on YouTube?)

I'm not sure how the latency would work on that. When I've tried to share videos via Skype in the past, it hasn't worked too well. I did find a Firefox extension, after it was too late of course, that lets you use a UK proxy IP address. Unfortunately, it only works with live TV, so I can watch Channel 5 online NOW (sigh). The above link still doesn't work, even with that, presumably because it's a https link rather than http.

(Could someone pretty please, with a cherry on top, put it on YouTube?)
Hi. Been reading all your comments with interest. I directed the film. Am relieved it has got a reasonably good response from the expert fans. Trust me - I grew up with Karen's voice pumping out of a crappy 1970s transistor radio, and I wanted it to be as good (and fair) as possible. Whoever gave credit to Randy's book is right. LGB (as well as the Coleman biog) really helped make this film possible. I'm sorry I have no news on the Reelz transmission in USA but here's the thing: I would ask you guys to think carefully about ripping the film to Youtube. It may not have been made if it wasn't for the money that Reelz put into the project and anything that might hit their ratings when it finally airs might colour their view on putting money into other similar projects. Maybe you could e mail Reelz and hassle them to put it on fast! PS Glad we found one or two new bits of archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen was this pic taken from moving video or was this a still pic they showed during this special.

Also, can you elaborate more about the Merv Griffin video, how long of a clip did they play of that one? Did they talk over the video clip performance and could you tell if they lip synced it or was it live vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom