• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

UK Carpenters night comin up June 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!

20160603_214022_zpsazqxya7f.jpg

3rd advert...

Karen's diary has been referred to - I remember one being mentioned, but didn't realise anyone had read it? It refers to a confrontation over the solo album.

The dialogue is quite interesting as I don't know what it is being based on. Did Karen really call Richard an 'asshole' he panned the solo album playback after the playback?

Randy has been interviewed and he talks about the choice of solo tracks. Randy - if you read this, you're looking very well and thanks for all you do and have done to keep Karen's memory alive and the truth out there!

Last edited:
Part three starts with footage of Karen being asked in 1972 whether she would go solo. More footage I've never seen. Our own Randy Schmidt also pops up during discussion about the solo album and song 'My Body Keeps Changing My Mind' which features.

The drama sequences are really, really well researched. The script features hard facts about their story, including the fact that Karen spent $400,000 of her own money on the album. However, it does intimate that Richard and Agnes were behind the decision to shelve it. Interesting so far!

I'm from the UK and watching it right now. And oh my goodness me, a clip of Those Good Old Dreams on Merv Griffin!!! Where on earth did the programme makers get that footage?!

Part 5 - they are painting a no holds barred picture of Tom Burris. Her school friend Carole Landino comments that she "wanted the white picket fence and Tom didn't seem like a white picket fence kinda guy when I met him".

Also featuring never before seen footage of Those Good Old Dreams on The Merv Griffin Show! Wow! A definite highlight for me. The programme claims that the same day that show was filmed, Karen changed her will to cut Tom out of the bulk of it. That's something I did not know.

I'm from the UK and watching it right now. And oh my goodness me, a clip of Those Good Old Dreams on Merv Griffin!!! Where on earth did the programme makers get that footage?!

That footage has been widely available on the internet for a while, but I would imagine that TV station that hold the original wouldn't have too much of an issue allowing it to be used officially.

Am thinking we've just had the final advert. So far all the interview footage seems very new, so am assuming that the people involved were interviewed for this documentary. Whilst they say pretty much what has already been said, it's certainly a lot more than a montage of old stuff.

That footage has been widely available on the internet for a while, but I would imagine that TV station that hold the original wouldn't have too much of an issue allowing it to be used officially.

Am thinking we've just had the final advert. So far all the interview footage seems very new, so am assuming that the people involved were interviewed for this documentary. Whilst they say pretty much what has already been said, it's certainly a lot more than a montage of old stuff.

I've never seen that footage before. I've been very impressed with this documentary, some of the acting is a bit off but I was expecting that. The actress playing Karen though is excellent.

I've never seen that footage before. I've been very impressed with this documentary, some of the acting is a bit off but I was expecting that. The actress playing Karen though is excellent.

I could be confusing it with something else. It could have been during the bits I nipped out of the room. You need good bladder control to watch this!

You're right about the actress playing Karen - she is very good.

The widely available footage is of the song (Want You) Back In My Life Again. They performed two songs on the show and this footage of Those Good Old Dreams was cut prior to original broadcast in 1981 (much to Richard and Karen's own disappointment) and this is the very first time it's ever been seen since then to my knowledge.

The Itchy and Karen confrontation regarding the hidden laxatives was touching.

Slight tangent, but wasn't the actor playing Levenkron Sam from the Aussie soap Neighbours?

The widely available footage is of the song (Want You) Back In My Life Again. They performed two songs on the show and this footage of Those Good Old Dreams was cut prior to original broadcast in 1981 (much to Richard and Karen's own disappointment) and this is the very first time it's ever been seen since then to my knowledge.

Yes, I think I got that bit confused with a bit I've missed somewhere along the way.

We're now into the final ad break.

Phew.....that was some ride. Tragic story, well told. It's time for Tom Burris to have his say, but he remains gagged by an agreement.

Last edited:
In the final segments, my observations would be that the confrontation between Karen and Itchie was very moving, aside from that much of it was dramatised rather than actual footage (understandable since Karen was off the radar during the whole of 1982).

I was pleased Werner was featured so prominently, he added some gravitas and is probably the person most closely associated with Richard without Richard having appeared in the programme.

The last scenes were very moving, I lost count of the number of times I heard friends and associates say in this programme "maybe I should have done more". Very sad.

One clip at the end where Richard talked about having done everything he could have done was ripped from my YouTube video of his interview on ITV's 'This Morning'. Just wish I'd got the credit but it went to ITV Studios instead :laugh:

Last edited:
Phew.....that was some ride. Tragic story, well told.

Wasn't it just!

I think it was very well done, apart from the advert for laxatives which was some rather poor scheduling from Channel 5 although I doubt anyone was trying to be unkind - just one of those things that happens.

In all honesty I think that if Richard (or anyone) really wanted to attempt a film of Karen's life then this is along the lines of what would needed to be done. It's very 'warts and all' but it needs to be in order to show just what Karen went through. The script was very good and all seemed true to what probably happened. Some of the conversations would have been 'made up' of course but they all seemed plausible and they weren't sensationalist, although it's hard to say what the source of some of them would have been.

At the end, it was stated that Tom Burris couldn't comment due to legal constraints and Steven Levenkron couldn't take part due to patient confidentiality.

Adele Keating certainly did her job as it leaves you wanting to reach into the TV and give Karen a hug.

So it's good to be in the safe, capable hands of Radio 2's Ken Bruce with his soothing voice and great taste in music :)

The Greatest Hits show that follows is just a rehash of the Gold DVD with additional titles and commentary. Nothing new. I'm puzzled as to why they didn't throw in some rarities given what's surfaced in the main programme, such as the Merv Griffin full clip of Those Good Old Dreams.

They did casually throw in there Richard's marriage to Mary (and the connection) and the fact that they named their first daughter after Karen's favourite name had she had her own.

Last edited:
In the final segments, my observations would be that the confrontation between Karen and Itchie was very moving, aside from that much of it was dramatised rather than actual footage (understandable since Karen was off the radar during the whole of 1982).

I was pleased Werner was featured so prominently, he added some gravitas and is probably the person most closely associated with Richard without Richard having appeared in the programme.

The last scenes were very moving, I lost count of the number of times I heard friends and associates say in this programme "maybe I should have done more". Very sad.

One clip at the end where Richard talked about having done everything he could have done was ripped from my YouTube video of his interview on ITV's 'This Morning'. Just wish I'd got the credit but it went to ITV Studios instead :laugh:
Werner said losing Karen was like losing a daughter. Everyone did try their best, even Agnes, who must have been devastated at losing her only daughter.

The Greatest Hits show that follows is just a rehash of the Gold DVD with additional titles and commentary. Nothing new. They did casually throw in there Richard's marriage to Mary (and the connection) and the fact that they named their first daughter after Karen's favourite name had she had her own.

Does seem to be, with some groovy graphics to fill out the widescreen tv. I've learnt some new facts from the info snippets though!

Rainy Days and Mondays seemed very echoey.

Ooh, short Jambalaya photo montage.

Stephen that photo you posted above of Karen singing with the mic is a new photo however there is another photo that has surfaced of Karen in the same exact shirt with Richard together (not sure if it's the same event) I have it saved in my Carpenters folder of photos, you may have it as well it's a very small photo. The screen of her shirt looks like a Chinese or Japanese symbol and what looks like a dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom