• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait till Richard arrives in Japan for promotion of new album...the media will be going crazy over there with excitement. It makes sense why he allowed exclusive track in Japan.

It makes a big difference if you listen to those two 'singles' through headphones; the orchestra really comes alive. I too think the 'dry' endings are an edit and won't play like that on the album ...

I’m not ordering the autographed version. Back in the late 80’s, my mom wrote Richard to tell him how much he and Karen had influenced me and how much our whole family loved their music.
He sent her an autographed pic that was written specifically to her, with her name, etc.

She gave it to me and it is in the “Time” vinyl jacket. She passed away in 2002. It is special to me for several reasons.
So I think I’ll get the white vinyl, the black vinyl and possibly both Japan and Target cd, if they end up with different extra songs.

Jonathan

The iTunes album includes the times for each of the other songs, including those still unreleased. The total album time clocks in at 1 hour and 6 minutes. Knowing this will give us clues on which songs have extended recording. I've bolded those that look much longer than the original tracks.

Here is the track list with times included:

1. Overture (1:29)
2. Yesterday Once More (3:56)
3. Hurting Each Other (3:58)
4. I Need to Be in Love (4:30)
5. For All We Know (2:56)

6. Touch Me When We're Dancing (3:15)
7. I Believe You (3:53)
8. I Just Fall in Love Again (5:01)
9. Merry Christmas Darling (3:01)
10. Baby It's You (3:11)
11. Close to You (3:40)
12. Superstar (3:51)
13. Rainy Days and Mondays (3:36)
14. This Masquerade (4:50)
15. Ticket to Ride (4:10)
16. Goodbye to Love (3:58)
17. Top of the World (2:59)
18. We've Only Just Begun (3:57)

From what I’ve heard so far on the two released tunes, they don’t resonate with me as much as the tracks on the Elvis and Aretha albums did. The producers of those albums fundamentally changed the structure of many of the songs and came up with brand new arrangements, so they essentially became new tracks. The two Carpenters tunes are pretty much the same as the original remixes with a few light orchestral flourishes sprinkled over them. It’s also not immediately apparent listening to them that there’s a 80-piece orchestra playing on them, because they were already so richly orchestrated. I can’t make my mind up what, if anything, the new touches add. Maybe that’s the result of Richard having retained total control. In his comments in the short video, he seemed to make the point that he didn’t want the orchestra to get in the way too much. Another producer might have done something more radical and interesting with them. I’m now curious to hear what the remaining 15 tracks sound like.

Agreed. Thus far, I’m not interested. The orchestra adds almost nothing. I’m holding on this until I hear something more meaningful.

Ed

Amazon.ca finally has the CD listed. $13.98 before tax here in Canada (the iTunes version is listed at $9.99). Of course it’s not showing up with the other Carpenters albums when you type in “Carpenters” or “The Carpenters”. You need to type “Carpenters Royal”.

I went ahead and ordered the Japan CD First Press with Bonus Track since I had some left over points. There is no way I can go without having Postman in my collection from the RPO.

I hesitated about the LE white vinyl w/ litho because as some of you know...I have this same exact poster that I framed in museum glass that hangs in my gallery. I wished that Richard could sign my album cover instead but I guess the only signature I will ever get from Richard will be this litho so I had to order the LE. It means a lot that he is actually signing an original and I couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Here is my poster of this same shot...I guess it's not exactly the same huh? minus the logos and CD advert.
I guess another framing is in order for the signed litho.

35thCarpentersGoldPostera.jpg~original

This article is in today's Los Angeles Times: Karen and Richard Carpenter will get the orchestral treatment with upcoming 'Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic'

By Randall Roberts
Nov 01, 2018 | 12:06 PM
Karen and Richard Carpenter will get the orchestral treatment with upcoming 'Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic'

The Carpenters, now more than ever?

In this year of the never-ending news cycle and social media rage, might the soft, comforting pop music that the brother-and-sister team of the Carpenters released starting in the late 1960s be the salve to soothe the nerves?

A&M/UMe announced Thursday the official release date of “Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,” which will feature the original vocals of the late Karen Carpenter, along with her brother Richard Carpenter’s new orchestral arrangements of the hitmaking duo’s songs.

With Q-tip softness, records featuring Karen’s exquisite voice and Richard’s song craft and instrumental skills are among the best-selling of all time and have resonated around the world.

For the release, Carpenter conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios in London, and the results will come out on Dec. 7, with a double-LP set arriving Feb. 8. It’s the fifth project in a Universal Music initiative that pairs its recordings with the Royal Philharmonic.

Unlike earlier releases with Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Roy Orbison and the Beach Boys, though, “Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic” will be the first to feature the original artist immersed in the process. In addition to arranging and conducting, Carpenter also produced the album.

Carpenter, who rarely gives interviews, described in a statement his desire to augment classics such as “Superstar,” “Top of the World” and “(They Long to Be) Close to You.”

“‘Close To You’ called for a sparse string arrangement,” Carpenter said, adding that the original lacked a certain heft. “In the second and third verses, it sounded a bit thin, because there are only 10 violins playing it. Now we’ve quadrupled that. So anyone with the ear for it will hear it immediately. It’s the same line, but it’s richer because there are so many more players.”

Added Carpenter of the opportunity the new project afforded him:

“There have been more than a few times when I have thought, ‘I wish I could have a second crack at that,’” he said. “And there were places where things could be augmented without overdoing it. That’s the trick.”

Great article...sorry I'm just getting around to reading everyone's posts
I'm really excited about this part:
“Close To You’ called for a sparse string arrangement,” Carpenter said, adding that the original lacked a certain heft. “In the second and third verses, it sounded a bit thin, because there are only 10 violins playing it. Now we’ve quadrupled that. So anyone with the ear for it will hear it immediately. It’s the same line, but it’s richer because there are so many more players.

This will be very interesting to hear this...the more I'm reading the more I'm feeling like you are going to get so much more out of this release with some great quality headphones. :)

“Close To You’ called for a sparse string arrangement,” Carpenter said, adding that the original lacked a certain heft. “In the second and third verses, it sounded a bit thin, because there are only 10 violins playing it. Now we’ve quadrupled that. So anyone with the ear for it will hear it immediately. It’s the same line, but it’s richer because there are so many more players.”...

See? This is part of the problem with what we've already heard. He's just slightly modifying certain passages and leaving the rest as is. "Anyone with an ear for it" means the changes are merely subtle. That's what has me feeling rather "meh" about this whole thing. We should be hearing Karen in new settings, not gently tweaked ones.

Ed

“Close To You’ called for a sparse string arrangement,” Carpenter said, adding that the original lacked a certain heft. “In the second and third verses, it sounded a bit thin, because there are only 10 violins playing it. Now we’ve quadrupled that. So anyone with the ear for it will hear it immediately. It’s the same line, but it’s richer because there are so many more players.

This will be very interesting to hear this...the more I'm reading the more I'm feeling like you are going to get so much more out of this release with some great quality headphones. :)
I agree, and today, have been looking for some decent headphones for my iPod. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom