• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions - Continued

It's not a caricature at all; it's just a treatment of a photo. I was looking for the original, untreated photo and it's not out there - at least as far as I can tell. I'd have preferred it but I gravitated to this one because she wasn't smiling. There's enough "smiley Karen" photos on Carpenters' product. Her album wasn't about the "goody four shoes" image. She wanted something different...so I followed suit.

Ed
I understand what you're going for, and it makes perfect sense - it's just not what I'd call a flattering picture. Don't know why I used the word 'caricature'; I suppose I was trying to mention that it wasn't realistic.

I understood it to have been Randy quoting Richard, not offering his own opinion. I'll try to find the source on that as we all know Richard wasn't interviewed for Little Girl Blue.
I agree with A&M Retro. I don't think Randy was quoting Richard. Randy started a sentence by paraphrasing comments we know Richard made, then followed that by appending his own "hindsight reveals" observation:

In what became [Karen's] final recording session, she laid down work leads for a new Carpenter-Bettis tune, "You're Enough," in addition to a Roger Nichols and Dean Pitchford composition entitled "Now." Richard felt Karen sounded as marvelous as ever, despite her ill health and frailty, but hindsight reveals a weakness to her vocals. Her interpretation, phrasing, and enunciation were beautiful – near perfection, in fact – but something was missing from the timbre.

I understand what you're going for, and it makes perfect sense - it's just not what I'd call a flattering picture. Don't know why I used the word 'caricature'; I suppose I was trying to mention that it wasn't realistic.

I understand what you're not feeling about it. I went rogue...LOL! There's something about the eyes in that pic. Like...it would never have flown on "Carpenters" anything so I went with it. There were some others from that session that are far worse. She was trying things there too - really spreading her wings. I'm so glad she got to just be free for a while.

Ed

Agree, not a good photo at all. I appreciate Ed’s effort and love this idea just not the photo. It’s really sad because there are not many good photos from her solo sessions. There were full color proofs sold on eBay a long time ago from the purple chair and most have her turned back to the camera. Then she is either turned to the side so you get half her face or she has her head tilted back and you get an upside down look.

The only really good ones are the cover of VOTH and her solo poster, the red jacket one (unaltered one inside the DVD jacket) the cover of her LP would be better if it was an original photo not cartoon coloring. I also really like the full length one inside the YOM LP. There’s also the full color close up from the Mook Book that’s really good.

I wonder if there are more that have never been released? The photo session shoot should have been excellent photos but where are they?

Most everything I found was "effected" somehow. I'd have preferred the un-effected version of the photo I used but couldn't find one. I wanted something totally un-Carpenters-like...as her album was.

Ed

I agree with A&M Retro. I don't think Randy was quoting Richard. Randy started a sentence by paraphrasing comments we know Richard made, then followed that by appending his own "hindsight reveals" observation:
It seems you're right, I couldn't find anything else on it...

I wonder if there are more that have never been released? The photo session shoot should have been excellent photos but where are they?

This is the best one of the entire shoot in my opinion. I've shown this photo to several people who didn't even recognise her and said how terrific a photo this is of her.

456d27e1-925a-4139-82a6-c9cda3f44a28.jpeg

For me, this captures the essence of the solo album perfectly - upbeat, turning over a page and entering a new decade. Gone are the bangs, the awful clothes, the syrup-laden ballads...and in comes a new-look Karen and a sound and side of her we've never seen.

This is the best one of the entire shoot in my opinion. I've shown this photo to several people who didn't even recognise her and said how terrific a photo this is of her.

For me, this captures the essence of the solo album perfectly - upbeat, turning over a page and entering a new decade. Gone are the bangs, the awful clothes, the syrup-laden ballads...and in comes a new-look Karen and a sound and side of her we've never seen.
I wonder if this photo has been colorized? She’s wearing the same jacket on the CD cover. Was it really red? Look at the pattern of her shirt around the collar. Sorta looks like same pattern on CD cover underneath all that cartoon coloring. Argh.

One of my favs Stephen - didn't Chris Tassin include some of these into his multi-photo montage for the "If We Try" video? I know he incorporated a number of hot pics into that...

One of my favs Stephen - didn't Chris Tassin include some of these into his multi-photo montage for the "If We Try" video? I know he incorporated a number of hot pics into that...
The one he made of her winking was my favorite 😍 lol maybe that was the other video he made If I Had You.

Last edited:
I wonder if this photo has been colorized? She’s wearing the same jacket on the CD cover. Was it really red? Look at the pattern of her shirt around the collar. Sorta looks like same pattern on CD cover underneath all that cartoon coloring. Argh.

The original photos are below, it was the same red jacket and grey shirt in all these photos, including the album's front and back cover. This is how these photos looked before A&M's Art department ruined them.

IMG_5760.jpegIMG_5761.jpeg

I just noticed Chris T. has the full size photo of this on his video. Love it!!

Although I've always loved "bangs" on women, and thought Karen was gorgeous with them, I noted on these pics that Karen not only looks more mature, but actually sexy (especially the one facing front with an open blouse), which would certainly add to the notion of staying away from a "Carpenters" sensibility and stylistic imagery.

@newvillefan said: "For me, this captures the essence of the solo album perfectly - upbeat, turning over a page and entering a new decade. Gone are the bangs, the awful clothes, the syrup-laden ballads...and in comes a new-look Karen and a sound and side of her we've never seen..." - agree for the most part, although ultimately it didn't work. There are many opinions in this (and other) threads about the "why" it didn't work (or did, but wasn't given a release).

I agree with those that are of the opinion that it comes down to a lack of focus and direction more than anything else. Song choices, song album placement; the album is not "put together well" and thus we have these discussions that include re-arranging song orders, adding this one, changing tempo on that one, removing that one, more "basement" vocals, etc. etc. - all signs of the root issue; lack of focus and direction.

HAVING SAID THAT, I have stated before and again here - the album deserved a release, imo. I have perused the charts in 1979 in particular, and there is absolute dreck that bubbled to the top 10.

I agree with those that are of the opinion that it comes down to a lack of focus and direction more than anything else. Song choices, song album placement; the album is not "put together well" and thus we have these discussions that include re-arranging song orders, adding this one, changing tempo on that one, removing that one, more "basement" vocals, etc. etc. - all signs of the root issue; lack of focus and direction.

I'm the solo album's biggest fan, but I completely take this on board and wouldn't disagree. I can't think of a single Carpenters album I've tinkered around with in terms of tracklist, running order, like I have with this album - hell, I was even driven to create my own version with improved running order on Spotify, just to relieve my own frustration :laugh:. For that you have to give Richard (who created things like the bookend concept on ASFY and understood album flow perfectly) a bucketload of credit.

HAVING SAID THAT, I have stated before and again here - the album deserved a release, imo. I have perused the charts in 1979 in particular, and there is absolute dreck that bubbled to the top 10.

I'd like to have seen it given a shot, it may not have set the world on fire but it certainly would have created ripples - both on the charts, in the music reviews and in the eyes of her fans.

Last edited:

I love this picture ! It’s like she’s making a statement and and trying something new. This photo was up at the U.K. premiere of the Karen Carpenter documentary

Back
Top Bottom