• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

1978 - A surprisingly busy year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Though they had no regular pop album in release, I was looking at their activities this year and was pretty astounded at what they undertook.

1)The recording of 3/4 of an entire Christmas Album from Jan-Aug.
2)2 television specials, one recorded in March/April and then one in October.
3)In amidst the Christmas recordings laying down 2 lavish recordings for the planned 1979 album. . ."Look to Your Dreams", "Where Do I Go From Here".
4)Producing/Arranging/Orchestrating 2 songs for BL Mitchell's planned '79 album
5)The recording of several selections for their '79 album in September. . .including "I Believe You", "Yesterday Behind", "Slow Dance" and "Honolulu"
6)Stints in Lake Tahoe and Vegas, Guest spots on TV shows, Karen's UK trip and promotion for Singles '74-'78.

And all of this with the duo, especially Richard, pretty much in emotional free-fall. Incredible.

Plus their December, 1978, Cal State at Long Beach Christmas show. And, as you mentioned, they did do a lot of TV guest spots that year (Mickey Mouse 50th Birthday Special, Thank You Rock and Roll, Tonight Show, PSA ads, Billboard Music Awards (Karen), radio interviews, etc. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense they didn't complete a regular studio album that year.

Though they had no regular pop album in release, I was looking at their activities this year and was pretty astounded at what they undertook.

3)In amidst the Christmas recordings laying down 2 lavish recordings for the planned 1979 album. . ."Look to Your Dreams", "Where Do I Go From Here".
5)The recording of several selections for their '79 album in September. . .including "I Believe You", "Yesterday Behind", "Slow Dance" and "Honolulu"
6)Stints in Lake Tahoe and Vegas, Guest spots on TV shows, Karen's UK trip and promotion for Singles '74-'78.

And all of this with the duo, especially Richard, pretty much in emotional free-fall. Incredible.
K&R basically recorded three albums in 1978: Major portions of both Christmas albums("Portrait" was started in late 1977/"Old Fashioned Christmas" was finished in 1984) and the 1979 album(10-12 tracks).

1978 was their most extensive year of recording-next to 1980.Between early March-late November(1980) K&R recorded over three albums worth of material: 25+ track for "Made In America",and "Music,Music,Music".

I thought "Leave Yesterday Behind" was recorded during the Horizon sessions. Am I wrong?

I thought "Leave Yesterday Behind" was recorded during the Horizon sessions. Am I wrong?

The song was written for the TV Movie of the same name, starring John Ritter and Carrie Fisher, which aired May 14th 1978. . .just 3 days before Space Encounters aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom