• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Live at Harrah's, Lake Tahoe, 1978

Carpe diem

Karen's charm and sense of humor shines through. And she holds that last "need" on I Need To Be In Love just like she did on Bruce Forsyth's Christmas show of the same year. I love that!

ullalume

Was the show on September 4, 1978, when Richard fell down the stairs??
I think that was fabricated for the tv movie. In actuality I think he stumbled in the bathroom and bruised his head.

Also...anyone notice how the recorded audience members during sing sound suspiciously like the ones during live in Holland. Fair play. In what world would the duo believe that half a century later nerds like me would be comparing live shows on a social media platform.😄

Rumbahbah

Thank for posting this - a very interesting listen, particularly for the live version of 'When I Fall in Love'.

They both sound in surprisingly good spirits, given what we now know was going on in their lives at the time, so I'm assuming this is from earlier in 1978 rather than their final engagements later in the year?

It does seem a bit strange that this was largely a repeat of their 1976 setlist and show, right down to a lot of the ad libs, which gives off a sense of them performing on autopilot despite their seemingly high energy levels on the recording. Obviously they weren't intending to adapt their show much in the light of the different sounds and approach on Passage. However, perhaps all the schtick in the 1976 show went down well with Vegas/Tahoe audiences?

GaryAlan

^^Rumbahbah, excellent questions and analysis.
First of all, as a fan, this show is nice to hear.
I particularly enjoyed When I Fall in Love ( the "live" Don't Cry For Me Argentina can be located on Youtube).
Of course, Karen sounds fantastic.
But....
here we are (imagine the audience in 1978) and we almost get to revisit the 1976 Television Special ( "Hits Medley," for example).
It is easy to see why a "live" album release for the USA was never going to happen, it had all been heard previously.
Also, one has to wonder if these Las Vegas shows could be "scaled up" for bigger venues--
that is, if the duo had been performing for larger audiences at that point in time.
To this day, the habit of singing the songs in a faster tempo has not set well with me-- sounding too rushed.
It is easy to see that Passage had to happen. I appreciate the effort more than ever.

Rumbahbah

^^Rumbahbah, excellent questions and analysis.
First of all, as a fan, this show is nice to hear.
I particularly enjoyed When I Fall in Love ( the "live" Don't Cry For Me Argentina can be located on Youtube).
Of course, Karen sounds fantastic.
But....
here we are (imagine the audience in 1978) and we almost get to revisit the 1976 Television Special ( "Hits Medley," for example).
It is easy to see why a "live" album release for the USA was never going to happen, it had all been heard previously.
Also, one has to wonder if these Las Vegas shows could be "scaled up" for bigger venues--
that is, if the duo had been performing for larger audiences at that point in time.
To this day, the habit of singing the songs in a faster tempo has not set well with me-- sounding too rushed.
It is easy to see that Passage had to happen. I appreciate the effort more than ever.
Yes, the show did sound quite rushed, although that's something that had been evident in their live act before. For example, the live version of 'Sometimes' on Live in Japan from 1974 was spoiled by being performed at far too fast a tempo.

GaryAlan

From Fan Club Newsletters (59 & 60, May & July respectively).
Carpenters played Las Vegas Harrah's: June 2- June 15, 1978.
Then, MGM Grand, June 29- July 12, 1978. This later show included Richard's Warsaw Concerto and Star Wars/Close Encounters.

Kacfan

From Fan Club Newsletters (59 & 60, May & July respectively).
Carpenters played Las Vegas Harrah's: June 2- June 15, 1978.
Then, MGM Grand, June 29- July 12, 1978. This later show included Richard's Warsaw Concerto and Star Wars/Close Encounters.
What a discovery: short but sweet! She sang yesterday once more like she did on thank you rocknroll, I need to be in love like she did on Bruce Forsyth, we’ve only just begun like she did in 1976 at Osaka, and the superstar rainy days and goodbye to love medley like she did on the 1978 tonight show, some of my favourite moments. plus, a beautiful live version of when I fall in love! Already I am so excited to have this recording. Now if this was their last night at Tahoe, that was June 15th 1978, it was the day I was born!

Carpe diem

^^Happy belated birthday! :)

"a beautiful live version of when I fall in love!"

Agree...It's OUTSTANDING! The highlight of this particular recording IMO.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I wonder if this show was before or after they recorded the studio version of When I Fall In Love. The arrangement - save for some nice electric guitar on this live version - is virtually identical.
They were in Vegas in March... which was would pre-date "Space Encounters" for the recording of "When I Fall In Love" (depending on how close the recording/taping was from the May airing) so it could have been around then.
From Fan Club Newsletters (59 & 60, May & July respectively). Carpenters played Las Vegas Harrah's: June 2- June 15, 1978.
I’m trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together as to whether this show came before or after they recorded the studio version of When I Fall In Love. With the information from the fanclub newsletter, I think we can now answer the question.

The air date for Space Encounters was May 17, 1978. With the recording of the music tracks for the special, as well as the filming of it, the studio version would therefore have been recorded way before this stint at Harrah’s in June, 1978 - probably sometime around March or April. This would explain why the live version is almost identical to the studio version we hadn’t yet heard. Richard must have taken Peter Knight’s chart from the studio version and used it for the live shows.

Top Bottom