A compilation Richard HASN'T issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Following the lead of a do-it-yourself compilation I did with Herb Alpert & The TJB, I thought it would be interesting to look at a similar one for Carpenters (although why in the world I'd need another Carpenters compilation is beyond me!) Still I thought it would be interesting. This is a 'countdown' compilation of all of the records that Carpenters placed in the Billboard Top 100, as documented by Joel Whitburn.

Listing them out and sorting them in descending order is rather revealing. Carpenters placed EXACTLY the same number in the Top 100 as Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, 28. All of Herb's fit onto one CD, whereas due to longer lengths, Carpenters will have to be split up onto 2 CDs.

Here's the list:

Code:
Chart		
Pos	Wks	Title
74	04	Beechwood 4-5789
72	08	(Want You) Back In My Life Again
68	05	I Believe You
67	10	Bless The Beasts & Children
63	06	Those Good Old Dreams
56	05	Goofus
54	12	Ticket To Ride
44	13	Sweet, Sweet Smile
35	10	All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
32	14	Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
25	11	I Need To Be In Love
17	10	Solitaire
16	14	Touch Me When We're Dancing
12	10	It's Going To Take Some Time
12	13	There's A Kind Of Hush
11	12	I Won't Last A Day Without You
07	10	Goodbye To Love
04	13	Only Yesterday
03	13	For All We Know
03	14	Sing
02	12	Hurting Each Other
02	12	Rainy Days And Mondays
02	13	Superstar
02	14	Yesterday Once More
02	17	We've Only Just Begun
01	17	Please Mr. Postman
01	17	(They Long To Be) Close To You
01	20	Top Of The World

(A note about ties: in the case of two songs reaching the same level for exactly the same number of weeks, the one that did it first gets the higher placement preference.)

I figured that the natural breaking point between the CDs would be after "Touch Me When We're Dancing". That would put the first 13 songs on the first disc, and the remaining 15 songs, all Top 12 hits or better on the second disc.

It's interesting to note that virtually all of the first 'disc' would have songs from the latter albums, where all of the earlier hits placed higher and end up on the second disc. The exeptions to that are "Bless The Beasts..." an earlier b-side hit that only charted at number 67, and the first single, "Ticket To Ride".

Though the contents of this compilation would be rather similar to the Yesterday Once More set, even down to the number of tracks, it would contain a few interesting differences, notably "Goofus" which never seems to show up anywhere, yet charted higher than "Bless The Beasts..." which shows up everywhere.

The next decision, if compiling these onto CD, would be: Which versions of the songs would I use? Good question. I haven't given it a lot of thought, but would lean either of two ways: all original mixes, or all the latest remixes. Or, it could even be whichever mixes I feel are best. Then there's the question of single mixes or album mixes in several cases. Let me know what you'd do.

If I go ahead and do it, I'll keep you posted as to my choices.

Harry
...planning, online...

Harry said:
The next decision, if compiling these onto CD, would be: Which versions of the songs would I use? Good question. I haven't given it a lot of thought, but would lean either of two ways: all original mixes, or all the latest remixes. Or, it could even be whichever mixes I feel are best. Then there's the question of single mixes or album mixes in several cases. Let me know what you'd do.

Since it's a compilation of songs that charted on the Billboard singles chart, I'd use exactly what was on the original 45's. Many of the single mixes have never appeared on CD before, so this would be a compilation that even I would buy!

Murray
...who would like to see the single mix of "Santa Claus..." as a hidden bonus track...

Good idea for Carpenters Singles Compilation that covers all chart entries :)

Richard could compile a Complete Singles Set -2 CD that includes all American , British and Japanese Singles releases -this should total 40
Singles with Richard liner notes , original 45's art work as available and lyrics to complete this project :)

As for mixes , same as Murray -go with original Singles mixes rather than Album or more recent re-mixes -much better for Fans, Collectors and wider public buyers :D

Peter

The original 45s' mixes, definitely. Would be both new and different. I forget what the length of the "Calling Occupants" single is, but the only version I've heard on a CD release is the 7+ minute one from Passage. That bonus track of "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" would be a great addition too. (I was going to say a side from Karen's Magic Lamp single would be a nice bonus also, but that's already in the box sets.) Being something of a purist, I'd want to buy this one.

I've seen some of the differences in B-sides between U.S. and foreign singles. Don't know how many of the foreign ones had songs not included on any of the U.S. singles' sides. If so, be interesting to hear those mixes.

Excellent idea, Harry!

Be a great radio show, too, I think. With Richard supplying the Casey Kasem-like commentary between songs as he counted them down. Or even with the legend himself. Maybe some kind of 35th anniversary commemorative special.
:tongue:artyhat:

One can almost hear Tony Peluso warming up his DJ chops. :wink:

I'd also vote for the single mixes, so we don't just get a reshuffling of what we've had compiled ad nauseum in the past. Barring that, I'd use the original LP versions, as they would be closest to what the single sounded like (vs. the remixes).

I'm not sure if it's true of Carpenters or their era at A&M, but in earlier years, the masters containing A&M's single mixes were all stored on large compilation reels with other artists. It would take a lot of research and vault work to locate all of the singles. I personally think it would be a unique and worthwhile project, but you know how record company economics are these days... :rolleyes:

I have that Carpenters single with "Calling Occupants..." at the shorter length. It clocks in at the much shorter time of 3:59.

Harry
...looking through 45s, online...

I like the suggestions to use all single mixes. It makes sense for this project, and I'm now a bit more intrigued about it.

Turns out I have the great bulk of these tunes as 45s, so I'll be able to check out the mixes in reference to the album tracks, and then use the best available 'master'. Ones I'm missing are:

Beechwood 4-5789 - have a mono version sent to me for that mono project for reference. Will probably use the stereo album track.

I Believe You - again, I have a copied version of the mono 45.

Those Good Old Dreams - for this one, I might use that altered British version on their LP of Yesterday Once More. It's got an emphasized synthesizer toward the end, different from the standard US version.

Goofus - never heard the 45. I guess it's the same as the album version.

Sweet, Sweet Smile - again, I'm pretty sure there's no difference from the LP version, but I can refer to a mono copy.

Rainy Days and Monday - Pretty sure that the tan album version was used for the single.

Superstar - again, the tan album version was used as the single.

I like the suggestion of putting "Merry Christmas, Darling" and "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" as hidden bonus tracks. I'll use the trick that Richard used on As Time Goes By and following the last track on each disc, I'll leave about 15 seconds of silence and then add the appropriate single track.

Question: does anyone have US chart information on those two Christmas singles? They're not listed in the standard charts, but I'm pretty sure that 'back-in-the-day", they DID chart.

Harry
...making work for himself, online...

If this source is correct, Billboard excluded seasonal songs from its charts, although Cash Box did chart them. I found the Cash Box Top-100 charts with "Merry Christmas Darling" (A&M 1236, b/w "Mr. Guder"):
Code:
CASH BOX TOP 100 SINGLES
"Merry Christmas Darling" Carpenters (A&M 1236)

Week ending || TW || LW 2W 3W | WKS
-----------------------------------
1970 Dec 12 || 75 || -- -- -- | 1
1970 Dec 19 || 50 || 75 -- -- | 2
1970 Dec 26 || 41 || 50 75 -- | 3
1971 Jan 02 || no longer on chart
Couldn't find Billboard chart information for "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" (A&M 1648, released Nov. 1974, b/w "Merry Christmas, Darling") or even "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". The FAQ site gives only the UK ranks for both singles: MCD at #45 (1970), and SCICTT at #35 (1974).

Hopefully someone has the complete Billboard charts from Nov.-Dec. 1974 and can tell if and where "Santa Claus" ranked.

...so now let's listen to the mystery voices in clue number 10...#%@^&...great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom