A & M Carpenters LP Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I just picked up "Close to You LP today from a local record dealer still sealed, I'm assuming it's an original SP 4271. Of course I have had the CTY CD forever but have never had the LP before. I am slowly obtaining all the oriignal Carpenters Lp's back into my collection.

I noticed upon opening the CTY LP that the label is a yellow/gold mustard color, similar to Harry's avitar. Was this the only year that they used this type of A & M label?

Cause when I look at my Ticket to Ride LP, it is white with the A&M in the tan/brownish color label.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I noticed upon opening the CTY LP that the label is a yellow/gold mustard color, similar to Harry's avitar. Was this the only year that they used this type of A & M label?

Question: Is "Reason To Believe's" publisher listed on the label as Faithful Virtue Music Co., Inc., or as Koppelman & Rubin Music? Are the Carpenter-Bettis compositions published by Almo or Irving Music? That may be your clue. That, and the A&M Records & Tapes logo on the back cover ONLY, and the reference to the "Free A&M Record Catalogue" and RIAA logo. Also, check the dead wax. Is there a "Circle MR" (Monarch Record Mfg. insignia) stamped on? Their "ochre" by 1970 was more "yellow/gold mustard" than Columbia's pressings of A&M product. Furthermore, Monarch used Warm Red for the "A&M" part of the label, as opposed to the bright orange used by Columbia. For reference purposes, here's the original label:

am-sp4271a-cp-orig.jpg

After all, this basic label design, with some variations here and there (colors, design position, and so forth), was used from 1963 to late 1973.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Cause when I look at my Ticket to Ride LP, it is white with the A&M in the tan/brownish color label.

White and silver with tan? Sounds like a post-1973/74 pressing to me . . .

Of the three Close To You LPs I have around here, one is the original (as posted by W.B. above), and two have the revised verbiage and cover. That first-issue jacket had a silvery sheen to it, while later printings went to a flatter grey color.

I have only one Ticket To Ride titled LP, it's got the '70s silver/white/tan label. I picket it up as a play copy after retiring the rarer Offering LP I had. That Offering has the familiar '60s ochre label layout.

Harry
...looking at labels, online...

W.B. yes that is the exact label on my CTY LP.

It appears I have a first issue than cause the cover has that silvery grey sheen to it. It really sounds amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom