A&M Gold Series-Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope - not a bootleg. Around 1991, A&M/Polygram released a series of compilations that were called GOLD SERIES in Europe and Japan. Australia had virtually identical albums released under the name of STARTRAX. There were some with different tracks. For instance, the Tijuana Brass collection called STARTRAX in Australia got a single, longer volume of hits, while Japan and Europe's GOLD SERIES had two shorter volumes of TjB stuff.

In the case of the Carpenters compilations, this particular GOLD SERIES is identical to the Australian STARTRAX.

There is also another GOLD SERIES of Carpenters material released in Japan back in the '80s by A&M/Canyon Records. It was a two-volume set with the catalog numbers D32Y3051 and D32Y3052. There were 14 tracks on each disc. This one's more rare and I can recall only seeing one time on eBay. I bought mine as imports back in the '80s.

Harry
...checking over his compilations, online...

Hey Harry :!:

I think this is what you are talking about. I see in on eBay about twice a month.

carpenters_gold2set02.jpg
click here

I have the GOLD series CD pictured by Andrew in the first post on this topic. Harry's right, it's a genuine European release not a bootleg.

I bought it because it's got that remix of Love Is Surrender on it, I flipped out when I took a listen to it in the record store in Munich, because it was the first time I'd heard the remix of one of my favourite tracks.

Needless to say, bought it on the spot!

Stephen

raz42289 said:
Hey Harry :!:

I think this is what you are talking about. I see in on eBay about twice a month.

click here

Well then I guess it's not all that rare, is it?

Stephen, does the GOLD SERIES version have the tacky blue label on the disc like the STARTRAX one? I've always thought that made it look more like a bootleg than an official release.

Harry
NP: STARTRAX, "Love Is Surrender", Carpenters

Hi Harry

No, the Gold series CD doesn't have any labels on it, just black print on the silver disc. I guess a label would make it look a little more suspect as you say!

Stephen

It's a printed label, official and everything, but it just looks a bit on the cheesy side - light blue background with black printing. I'd have preferred to have the black on silver labelling that was pretty standard in those days.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom