• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M Records in commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Two recent ads have caught my attention for using an A&M Records release for its background music:

- General Motors/Oldsmobile is using Billy Preston's "Nothin' From Nothin'" as part of its 0% financing promotion.

- Nissan Maxima has been using DNA (featuring Suzanne Vega)'s "Tom's Diner" for their commercial where the Maxima catches up to another sunset. It's been used before in 2000 and was updated for the 2002-3 models.

Any others?

Harry
NP: radio at work

TJB is in something these days, too, but I can't remember what--I want to say ice cream. And I can't place the tune either--I keep meaning to post here after I've seen the commercial, but I never seem to remember to.

And I'm still waiting for someone to let me know whether or not I "created" a memory I have of B66's "For Me" being used in 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado commercials.

There's a commercial using "The Look Of Love" -- some female skin product -- not the B66 version but one extremely similar -- you'd swear it was Lani (or Janis) singing...

--Mr Bill

I just came across an interesting angle to licensing songs. With the release of an Elton John Ultimate Hits package being released under Universal's UTV arm,Universal and Mr. John have greatly reduced the fees required on using an Elton John song on the air and-Voila!-NBC is using his songs on two shows,CBS on one and upcoming shows and miniseries are using a bunch of Elton John songs. Not only are they getting free exposure-they are getting paid so that a particular John song (which has limited radio play nowadays and zilch video play) is in your head. Now the song being used to sell the product is also being used to sell the song. Mac

After this post, last night I saw a commercial using the current Sheryl Crow song (from C'mon, C'mon), "You're The Original". I think it might have been a Jeep commercial. Not sure though.

Also, from the past, there's the American Express commercial with Jerry Seinfeld and Herb Alpert's "A Banda."

Harry
...continuing the list, online...

Somebody's using Peggy Lee's vocal version of "Samba de Orpheu" (Happy Life) in a commercial. BMB's instrumental version is on their first album.
JB

LPJim said:
Somebody's using Peggy Lee's vocal version of "Samba de Orpheu" (Happy Life) in a commercial. BMB's instrumental version is on their first album.
JB

Isn't that Target? I heard it tonight...

Dan

Harry said:
Also, from the past, there's the American Express commercial with Jerry Seinfeld and Herb Alpert's "A Banda."

American Express also used Herb's "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", which came before "A Banda".

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Letta Mbulu - Letta

Yes. I also heard the Peggy Lee "Samba" again while washing dishes and looked at the TV in time to see the Target logo. I guess that ad's in heavy rotation now.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom