• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M should release all Herb Alpert & TJB LPs on CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robineche

A&M Records should release all Herb Alpert & TJB LPs on CDs. That will be just AWESOME! Herb Alpert Fans like me will run to the stores to get that! I grew up listening to my Dad's collection of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. And for what I see, there's a lot of trading back and forth of the remains of the musical legacy through the internet. A&M Record should do just that! Please! Anybody with me on that?

Robin

yes I agree Herb Alpert should release the rest of the TJB Catalog, since we all know he has the masters to all of them even if they would be only availible on mail orders only I would buy them especially when they are with the original art work both back and front and with of out takes from the songs like the true stereo version of mexican drummer man and the short version of Zorba the greek come on herb, we are the fans that gave you those gold records show some appreaction by give us what we are asking for.
thanks
bob papp

Robineche said:
A&M Records should release all Herb Alpert & TJB LPs on CDs. That will be just AWESOME! Please! Anybody with me on that?

Hi Robin, welcome to the Corner!

You're preachin' to the crowd on this one! :D However, Herb owns the masters to his albums, and since A&M is nothing more than an imprint for Universal Music it's unlikely that his albums would be released under the Uni umbrella. Lots of rumors going around on this one. The big question would be what label would Herb release his music under? Hopefully, his entire catalog will be released in the near future. Until then, many of us are making our own CDs/box sets. It will have to do until the real thing comes out.

Capt. Bacardi

Perhaps Herb and Jerry just don't want to go through the hassle. They might just feel it is not profitable and not fun anymore, after all, they are only human. I guess we are really lucky to have all the music- whatever form it is in!

Robineche said:
A&M Records should release all Herb Alpert & TJB LPs on CDs. That will be just AWESOME! Herb Alpert Fans like me will run to the stores to get that! I grew up listening to my Dad's collection of Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass. And for what I see, there's a lot of trading back and forth of the remains of the musical legacy through the internet. A&M Record should do just that! Please! Anybody with me on that?

Robin

Well, Yeah!! That statement is an EXCLAMATION!!! I wish before A&M Records had been sold to Jim Henson's Estate that the stuff (ALL OF IT!!!!!) had been quickly put on CD's right there, the way most of it had been put on record. I think it could'a been done!

Least between the time I stood in front of the place in '97 and the day it went for sale in 2000 and the company turned 40 in '02.

Dave

...Serioulsly!... :laugh:

I think it will be truly unfortunate if the vinyl albums from Lonely Bull through the Brass Are Comin' are never re-released on CD in some form of a Herb Alpert and the TJB commemorative collection..

I would be happy to purchase such a collection, and I probably am of the same opinion as many others.

I simply think such an outcome would be truly unfortunate...

The gems from the LP catalog that never were released kind of adds a certain mystery- considering they had every opportunity to do it.
Why would they now?

Why these discs are out of print or never made it to CD is one of the mysteries of the universe. I think most of us would like to find a way to persuade Herb to release them. Ideas, anybody?

Greg Shannon
:cool:

I've already had a few theories about reissues posted here--do a search and it should turn up a few posts. Short version is--Herb has the masters, and he's more of a forward-looking person and may not consider reissues as important as new projects. The only thing I've heard positive is that he was working with Larry Levine, overdubbing trumpet parts onto some TJB tracks that have never been released. (!) So we may actually be seeing some OLD new TJB recordings in the future!

There still hasn't been any solid word regarding reissues, even though all TJB product was nixed in favor of Definitive Hits to create demand. Anytime I hear something about remasters, rumors turn out to be just that: rumors. Still, given the choice, I'll stick to vinyl, thank you. If Universal got their hands on these to remaster them, they won't sound anything but compressed to sh*t, EQ'd and no-noised like all the other mass market trash out there today. I don't need that; none of us do. Even the older CDs will sound better in the face of THAT kind of mastering. I would only hope that he would find another label to reissue the recordings, or at least have some say in who ultimately remasters them, and just cut Universal a distribution deal. Think about it--would you rather have some digitized, royally fouled-up version of the TJB albums, or actually own something that sounds as good as the master tapes right in your own disc player?

And actually, since any reissues would possibly be a "once in two decades" event, I would see it making sense ONLY if they were released as hybrid SACDs. No use being stuck with an 80's technology here in 2004. If the Stones can do it, so can Herb Alpert. :thumbsup:

I feel likle I'm writing this same plea a few times a month--I may put this into an updated Editorial article here and have us all make some noise about it. It's not so much the releasing of remasters themselves...I'd just like to see them done properly. IF these reissues ever happen, they need to be done right, to last a couple decades or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom