• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A Sergio Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I'm sitting here listening to Ye-Me-Le, as I try to do around Christmas every year. Ye-Me-Le was part of what I call my "A&M Christmas," 1969, when I got this (one of the very first LPs I ever purchased with my allowance, LOL), and then was given "Brass Are Comin'" for Christmas from my sister, who also brought home "Make it Easy on Yourself" from college, which we also listened to nonstop over vacation that year. Add to this I saw Butch Cassidy the day after Christmas, and it was one of those watershed years for me, music-wise. Ye-Me-Le (along with Stillness) has always been a "wintry" album for me (though I know some in the UK here think of it as "summery" since it evidently was released later there). Just playing it brings back fond memories of snowy days and cozy fires. I hope everyone here has a great Christmas/Channukah and Happy New Year! :)

Nice story, Jeffrey. It's amazing how music has the capacity to instantly transport us to another time and place, and yet not always. It seems that it's just certain music that can stir up the memories, not all of it.

Harry

I think the deeper your emotional connection to the music, the more visceral your reaction when you hear it years later--I know playing virtually any Sergio album (well, at least the classic B66 ones :wink: ) instantly transports me to when I first heard them. Justin Timberlake, less so. (Joke).

I'll turn 55 next week, and unlike myself, I feel Sergio's music does NOT age. It feels fresh every single time. It's always fresh and beautiful. Always alive. It comes across in the vocals, the rythm, and the Ivories. Even Sergio's instrumental albums such as "My Favorite Things", are a thing of beauty. The Man had the Midas touch, very much like Herb Alpert does. Sergio sure took his sweet time preparing his next release, and it will be worth the long wait.

PartyRico said:
I'll turn 55 next week...

As will I, a couple weeks later on the 16th.

Harry
...soon to be at the "speed limit", online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom