A Song For You Japanese release?

05_LF

So I was out at a local bookstore that also sells records, and stumbled upon this copy of A Song for you. At first glance I thought it was just a single from that album but after a second look I realized that it was the album! I then realized what looked to be Japanese lettering on the front, and on the record itself. After a quick google search I found one copy of a Japanese pressing, but it featured a different sleeve. Since it seems like I can't post the pictures, it basically looks the same as the Goodbye To Love single vinyl sleeve except it features a song for you underneath the Carpenters signature logo, with some Japanese lettering off to the side. Since I haven't found anything that looks like it, I'm very curious to see if there is any info on it. And if you're wondering yes I did purchase it!

The red strip is called an OBI, which is a strip or ribbon in Japan, that is put on most vinyl and CD’s released there. Its removable, but most collectors want it included when buying music from Japan. It makes the cd or album a little extra special. It sometimes includes a picture or logo of the artist on it too.

The red strip is called an OBI, which is a strip or ribbon in Japan, that is put on most vinyl and CD’s released there. Its removable, but most collectors want it included when buying music from Japan. It makes the cd or album a little extra special. It sometimes includes a picture or logo of the artist on it too.
Essentially, the obi serves as a Japanese translation of the information that is normally on an album cover, plus information about that particular release series, and the dates it will be sold.

I’ve often wondered do the Japanese consider an LP or CD to be non authentic if the OBI strip is missing? The price drops considerably if the OBI is missing. Same for CD’s.

Back in the 1990s when I was first came across the phenomenon that is Japanese editions of Carpenters' CDs, I thought 'Obi' stood for 'obituary' and that it was some sort of pull-out leaflet about Karen's life attached to the cover. How disappointed I was...

I’ve often wondered do the Japanese consider an LP or CD to be non authentic if the OBI strip is missing? The price drops considerably if the OBI is missing. Same for CD’s.
Well I bought it to keep, but I find it neat to have a Japanese release. Just a tad more special. 🙂

Alright, so it seems like the sleeve is the same as the one shown above, but just without the obi. But here’s the second part of this mystery. Why is mine a Union release instead of A&M?

Alright, so it seems like the sleeve is the same as the one shown above, but just without the obi. But here’s the second part of this mystery. Why is mine a Union release instead of A&M?
Is it definitely a Japanese release? I am wondering if it might be one of the unofficial Taiwanese releases.

I have all the Japanese releases including the reissues, and all of them come with an obi. The obi is the only piece on the outside of the record that contains any Japanese.

The obi is the only piece on the outside of the record that contains any Japanese.
Well, of course that's true if the item is a release from outside of Japan. There are releases made in Japan and for Japan that have Japanese all over them.

For example Carpenters Standard Best 1200:
1710863820991.png
1710863843694.png

This release was simply the Japanese version of our 20th Century Masters Millennium Collection disc. Most of the printing on it is in Japanese and yet it still contains an obi.

Oh I know. Must be Richard's supreme favorite.
If true, I agree with Richard. Of the many photo session images there are of Karen and Richard, it's exceptionally good. Richard looks handsome and relaxed, and Karen's smile is warm, open and lovely. Even though it features one of the countless "couples" poses they endured, somehow this one looks much more natural than many others of its ilk.

Well, of course that's true if the item is a release from outside of Japan. There are releases made in Japan and for Japan that have Japanese all over them.

For example Carpenters Standard Best 1200:
1710863820991.png
1710863843694.png

This release was simply the Japanese version of our 20th Century Masters Millennium Collection disc. Most of the printing on it is in Japanese and yet it still contain

The record 05_LF picked up DOES NOT have an obi. If the obi is the only piece that contains any Japanese (like you said, of course), then the record he has is likely not Japanese. It also does not make sense if the label is Union. Perhaps the "Japanese" characters are under the assumption of being Japanese, when in fact they are Chinese. I am not aware that there are any LP releases made in Japan for Japan.

The record 05_LF picked up DOES NOT have an obi. If the obi is the only piece that contains any Japanese (like you said, of course), then the record he has is likely not Japanese. It also does not make sense if the label is Union. Perhaps the "Japanese" characters are under the assumption of being Japanese, when in fact they are Chinese. I am not aware that there are any LP releases made in Japan for Japan.
I thought there were many Carpenters LP’s made in Japan for Japan.

I believe all the King, Canyon, Alfa, and Polygram A&M recordings were at least. They say made in Japan.
Maybe the new vinyl? being released there isn’t? Not sure. I’ve seen a few items that have Japanese writing on them that were made in Taiwan though.

Is it definitely a Japanese release? I am wondering if it might be one of the unofficial Taiwanese releases.

I have all the Japanese releases including the reissues, and all of them come with an obi. The obi is the only piece on the outside of the record that contains any Japanese.
Well maybe it isn’t a Japanese copy. The record features some other language on the outskirts of the center label. I’m not so certain what language it is, since I’m not familiar with either.

Well maybe it isn’t a Japanese copy. The record features some other language on the outskirts of the center label. I’m not so certain what language it is, since I’m not familiar with either.
Still sounds like something unique, which is great!

The Taiwanese records have an interesting history and people do specifically collect them. I have a few Carpenters Taiwanese records. Sound is horrible but I like them because of their history!

Back
Top Bottom