• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A TIME connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

Three great artists who did not release an album since more than a decade have connections:

Stevie Wonders new album A TIME to love
Burt Bacharachs new album At this TIME
and the long awaited due to release
in january 2006 Sergio Mendes’ TIMEless.

Sergio recorded several songs by Burt Bacharach in the ’60 and they
share the same agent RICHARD ROSENBERG.

Sergio recorded a lot of songs written by Stevie and recorded also with Stevie and wrote the Portuguese lyrics for BIRD OF BEAUTY on Stevie’s First Fullfillingniss Finale 1974 released album. Sergio used Stevie’s bassplayer NATHAN WATTS on albums as Brasil 88, Sergio Mendes’ 83 and Magic Lady. Guitarists Michael Sembello and drummer Raymond Pounds of Stevie’s Wonderlove group played on the Sergio Mendes albums such as, Brasil 88, Magic Ladyand Sergio Mendes 83.
Sembello played also on Homecooking.

Another connection is the appearance of the great Brazilian guitarist, arranger and 10 year bandmember of Sergio’s Brasil 77 and 88 group Oscar Castro Neves on Stevie’s new album -A TIME to love- on the song THE SWEETEST SOMEBODY I KNOW (a Bossa Nova flavoured tune).

Since a long TIME albums from these artists.
We live interesting TIMEes!

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

In a fairly recent interview with Wil.i.am, he mentioned Stevie and his connection with the "Timeless" project. Apparently, Stevie was recording in a studio down the hall. When he heard that Sergio was also recording, he popped in to say hello. Sergio was impressed with the fact that Stevie had remembered the Portuguese lyrics to a song they had collaborated on. One thing led to another and Stevie ended up on one of the "Timeless" tracks. Pretty cool, considering the fact that Sergio and Stevie haven't recorded together in many years! :)

Jon

I don't really buy into the "found out so and so was recording in the same building and ended up reording something together or, God forbid (in other genres) *jamming*.
I think studio space is booked so far in advance that you're well aware of who's recording. It's a sort of grafted-on mythology. Sorry to sound so skeptical...

Chris Martin said:
...I don't really buy into the "found out so and so was recording in the same building and ended up recording something together" or, God forbid...*Jamming*...!

The same goes for me--er, PARTLY!--I had once thought that Crosby, Stills & Nash (+/- Young) would've sounded good recording together with The 5th Dimension, as they all recorded at Wally Heider Recorders, but no such thing ever happened...

Chris Martin said:
...I think studio space is booked so far in advance that you're well aware of who's recording. It's a sort of grafted-on mythology. Sorry to sound so skeptical...

Yes, I'm sure collaborations are for the most part done in advance, and in accordance as to whether there is "Enough Time", but Stevie Wonder appearing on B.J. Thomas's version of "Happier Than The Morning Sun" comes to mind, as it was recorded when Stevie was in the studio (Electric Ladyland in New York) B.J. was in, so skeptical as I may also be, sometimes such a thing is possible...

As is Sergio's translating Portugese for Stevie Wonder's "Bird Of Beauty" for his "Brothers & Sisters in Brazil, Portugal and Mazambique!" :D

Dave

For someone of such scant recorded output, at least of late, Stevie sure spends a lotta time hanging round recording studio corridors. I recall, in 1986, he again *happened* to be in the studio when Barbra Streisand was recoring her (seminal) Broadway Album back in '86. Result? He laid down the sultry harmonica solo on "Can't Help Loving that Man of Mine".
Nice work, though, and he even quoted "People" in the coda.
"Can't help" thinkin', though, that Barbra's people had been on to Stevie's people as to which corridor he should be walking down and when! LOL!

Yes, and there was a James Taylor album Stevie played his harmonica on--just like "back in the day"--and I mean as far as a "guest appearance" playin' his Ol' "Harpoon" goes--This FIRST EVER Wonder/Taylor collaboration was, should I say, "Long Overdue"!!

I believe that Stevie's latest was Conversation, Peace at the time! Don't know what the title of James' then-current album was--but obviously it revolved around what ALL of his later and "now" output is definitely destined to be about: OLD AGE! :yawn: :laugh:

Dave

P.S. ...Added The 5th Dimension to above post, as to "whom Crosby, Stills & Nash (+/- Young) would've sounded good recording together with at Wally Heider Recorders..." (Correction Made; Please scroll-up to acknowledge!) :neutral:inkshield:

Well, as stated, this is what the interview said. Certainly didn't come to me first hand. And, I believe Stevie and his harmonica have something to do with TIMELESS. This was mentioned in accordance with the statement about him popping into Sergio's recording session. :)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom