• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A Trini Lopez LP, Produced by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Has anybody seen or heard of The Whole Enchilada by Trini Lopez? It was produced by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart and all three appear on the back cover.

Lopez had a big (and probaly only) hit with "If I Had A Hammer", it's most notable version done by Peter, Paul & Mary.

Some of the songs on this album were written by Boyce & Hart, like "My Baby Loves Sad Songs", "Come A Little Bit Closer", "Sunshine Park" and "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight?" There are other songs by other writers and performers, like "I Heard It Through The Grape Vine", "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying", "Sunshine Of Your Love" and a medley: "Sunshine Superman"/"Cry Like A Baby".

Musicians include Louie Shelton on Guitar, John Gaille is credited with playing Bass, though I thought he was a keyboardist, while Billy Louis is on Drums, all who played with Boyce & Hart. Plus unknown Keyboards, Background Vocals & Percussion, as well as Strings & Horns, arranged by Jimmie Haskell.

Trini made a lot of albums--I bought another one with "The Letter", "Windy", "Sally Was A Good Old Girl" (done by Waylon Jennings on his PHASE I, THE EARLY YEARS set), "The Happening" and even "(Pow, Pow, Pow) Mas Que Nada", actually sung in English. He also made a 'TV Special' album, with Nancy Ames and even The Ventures, that I should consider getting in the future. That one has "Mrs. Robinson" (sung by Trini & Nancy Ames) and a 1:55 version of "Reza" ("Laidia, Laidia"?), among others, done with The Ventures, Ms. Ames and Both, (such as "Land Of 1000 Dances") as well as solo. As well as a Disco album, done in New York on the shortly revived Roulette label, in the late-'70's; produced and engineered by Tony Bongiovi and arranged by Meco Monardo & Harold Wheeler.

Trinidad Lopez, III is still alive and well and still involved in performing in the music business, today.

Dave

Actually, Trini Lopez had 13 chart hits. "If I Had A Hammer" was his first and biggest, but he also hit the Top 40 with "Lemon Tree", "Kansas City" and "I'm Comin' Home, Cindy". His last charted hit was "Sally Was A Good Ol' Girl" in 1968. The album that features "Sally" was called "It's A Great Life" and it's one of his very best albums. Unfortunately, it was his first LP to miss the Billboard album chart and brought his hitmaking days to a close.

daveK said:
Actually, Trini Lopez had 13 chart hits. "If I Had A Hammer" was his first and biggest, but he also hit the Top 40 with "Lemon Tree", "Kansas City" and "I'm Comin' Home, Cindy". His last charted hit was "Sally Was A Good Ol' Girl" in 1968. The album that features "Sally" was called It's A Great Life and it's one of his very best albums. Unfortunately, it was his first LP to miss the Billboard album chart and brought his hitmaking days to a close.

Funny how one store only had the LP 'Produced by Boyce & Hart' and the other one I went to had 'everything but that one'. While a third only had The TV SPECIAL album.

Yeah, I also bought IT'S A GREAT LIFE (with "Sally") and also has other good songs, such as "Let's Take A Walk", "Luna Lunera" and "Nochesita". Also another number, "Shame And Scandal In The Family", which was also done by The Stylistics. The 5th Dimension actually did the title-track, as well. Feel like going back to that store to pick up the 'TV Show' album, which features The Ventures and Trini sings with Nancy Ames on some tracks. Then there's a Disco LP he made with newer versions of "If I Had A Hammer" and "Lemon Tree", which may be worth checking out. He does a long medley with versions of "Candida", "Yellow Bird" and "Save The Last Dance For Me", too. Thanks, for the info you have on Trini, Dave!

Dave (W.) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom