• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Aboard the Dream Weaver Train with Gary Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
This time last week I had just arrived in Chattanooga after a 1.5-hour drive in time for the final night of the annual Riverfest. The downtown area was crowded, which surprised me since the widely-publicized Bonnaroo Music Festival was going on simultaneously less than 50 miles away.
A steady rain was falling, and the place had several stages set up with no signs telling who was performing where.
Somehow I managed to wander around until I heard an announcement that the "Class of the '70s" program would be getting underway. A giant TV sceen was there to aid visability. Most visitors could only glance at tiny figures on a platform at the river's edge, several stair flights above a dock where several boats were parked.
The "Class" included Ambrosia ("How Much I Feel"), Multi-Instrumentalist Edgar Winter ("Frankenstein"/ "Free Ride"), Al Stewart ("Year of the Cat"/ "Time Passages"/"On the Border") and two A&M alum, Billy Preston and Gary Wright (of Spooky Tooth).
With the exception of Preston, this was my first time to see/hear the other musicians. The Ambrosia players not only played their hits but also provided backup for the other acts. The 90-minute time frame allowed each artist a set of 3 or 4 tunes.
Winter demonstrated his proficieny on sax, drums and guitar. Stewart reminded me how infrequently I hear his collection of catchy tunes and how much I've missed them.
Preston, minus his giant Afro of earlier years, played "Will It Go Round in Circles," "Nothing From Nothing" and "Let it Be."
The Wright set included "Love is Alive" and "Dream Weaver," his two big hits from 1975, "Are You Weeping" (from LIGHT OF SMILES - 1977) and a selection from his recent solo effort HUMAN LOVE.
Since this was closing night, a spectacular fireworks display followed the concert. This was nice, but it also meant the artists were likely to board one of the boats and head across the river to their limos and out of town - rather than hang out at the merchandise booth as is customary.
Turned out the two A&M artists were the only ones I saw in person. First, Preston surprised onlookers by walking onto the fair grounds with a entourage dressed in yellow rain gear. I held up an LP cover which he stopped and signed before walking quickly away.
I could hear boat motors cranking up and figured that was going to be it. Then one of the event workers -- an older gentlemen -- stopped to admire my Wright/Spooky Tooth LP covers. I told him I was hoping to see Mr. Wright, whereupon he directed me through the gate and pointed to the deck of one of the boats. "You'll find him relaxing with a glass of wine on the boat to the far left," was his instruction. A guardian angel at work, I thought.
Quickly I walked aboard, introduced myself and soon was talking about vintage album sleeves with the crew. Mr. Wright said he hadn't seen some of the older sleeves (EXTRACTION SP 4277 and FOOTPRINT SP 4296) in a long time, and he was glad there were still some true collectors around.
As he finished signing LPs for me, I heard the captain announce the boat would be pulling out soon. The possibility of riding across the river and hitching a ride back occurred to me, but fortunately we finished up in time for me to get back on shore.
I waved goodbye and ran back to the gate. Didn't see the event worker to thank him, but without his help I could not have done it. All of this took place within 10 minutes, but time seemed to be running in slow motion.
Then I sprinted back to my car, as the rain picked up its pace, for the ride home, providing those stuck in traffic with a view of a soaked pedestrian darting up a hill carrying album covers wrapped in a plastic bag.
They could question my sanity all they wished, but I think I had the most fun of any of them that evening.
JB

Those are two cover scans I need for the AOTW file. THey're nowhere in the used stores around here or on the net...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom