• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

About the "Look Around" cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazmin_Salinas

Hello again:

Today, in the morning, I went to my aunts' apartment, and I asked them if they had the album "Look around" by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. They said "Yes", and then I finally found it in a box full of LP's. I noticed that, on the cover, the woman with the pink umbrella looked like my friend Verónica Madrid (who died due to a car accident). I also noticed that the dark-haired woman (with the orange umbrella) looked like antoher friend, Erika Durán, who was the main singer of Las Rayitas 10 months ago. Isn't it weird?

B00004S95S.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You of course know that the "dark haired woman" is Lani Hall, right? The other female is Janis Hansen.

Harry

Even thinking about Janis Joplin's voice annoys me, so I'm sure anyone with a similar voice would be similarly annoying to me.

Joplin is one of those rare artists that I just don't understand all the acclaim and praise. I think her music is awful.

Yazmin, how about the three guys sitting in the forefront… do they remind you of anyone you know?

The Brazilian Blues Brothers?
Men in bossa nova black?

Like Butch & Sundance said "Who are those guys"

Best regards,
Mike

Mike Blakesley said:
Even thinking about Janis Joplin's voice annoys me, so I'm sure anyone with a similar voice would be similarly annoying to me.
Joplin is one of those rare artists that I just don't understand all the acclaim and praise. I think her music is awful.

What Mike B said! I'd rather scratch a chalkboard with my own fingernails in front of two cats in heat than listen to the noise Janis Joplin foisted on the drug-addled counter culture of America in the late 60s/early 70s...

But I'm sure your friend is a nice girl -- I just don't want to hear her if she really does sound like Janis "Screech" Joplin!

--Mr Bill
not too thread crap, but Stevie Nicks comes a close second to being the most overrated female vocalist of all time -- her forced vibrato is worse than the late Phil Ochs' and makes her sound like a sheep getting a brutal and thorough rectal exam...

Don't forget that the Look Around Cover (Nearly ALL 100-% of it) made it onto A&M's Multi-Artist Family Portrait sampler; the version of "Like A Lover" on it is said to be of a different mix than the LP and even '45', including the Mendes compliations it went on...

Wel, luckily there hasn't been enough of Janis Joplin around that we had to put up with her screetchy voice for long...! --In fact ANYONE who is an "immitator" sure has to be more listenable, enough that I think if I heard your friend, Yasmin, I would find her tolerable! :)

Yes, we still have Stevie Nicks to put up with... OK on a few Fleetwood Mac songs but listening to herstuff from her solo career took on the equilvalent of putting her CD's and a cat in the blender...! :evil:

How I wish Laura Nyro hadn't gone first...! :cry: :angel:

Dave

Mike Blakesley said:

I can't say much for her singing ability, but somebody did a voiceprint of her once, and she could easily hit several notes at once...most people have one or two, sometimes three overtones in their voices, but Janis had SEVEN. It's almost unheard-of. :!:

Dan

Hola Yazmin! Do yourself a great favor, and don't simply "LOOK" at that album, escuchelo. The music contained therein is one of A&M's best in my view, and if you find "Equinox" you have hit the mother-lode! (IMHO).

Chris Martin said:
God, I LOVE those 60's A&M Brasil '66 album covers!

P.s. Yazmin, is that a picture of Streisand on your avatar?

Yazmin's avatar is Lani Hall, as pictured on CLASSICS VOLUME 19. Here's a look at how that picture was used on the rare cassette version of that album:

laniclassicscassette.jpg

I always found that picture to be rather reminiscent of the pose she had on her ALBANY PARK album:

albany.jpg

Harry

Yazmin_Salinas said:
Hello again:

Today, in the morning, I went to my aunts' apartment, and I asked them if they had the album "Look around" by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. They said "Yes", and then I finally found it in a box full of LP's. I noticed that, on the cover, the woman with the pink umbrella looked like my friend Verónica Madrid (who died due to a car accident). I also noticed that the dark-haired woman (with the orange umbrella) looked like antoher friend, Erika Durán, who was the main singer of Las Rayitas 10 months ago. Isn't it weird?

B00004S95S.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm putting on the CD NOW!

PartyRico said:
Hola Yazmin! Do yourself a great favor, and don't simply "LOOK" at that album, escuchelo. The music contained therein is one of A&M's best in my view, and if you find "Equinox" you have hit the mother-lode! (IMHO).

Darn! My aunts who own the LP "Look around" live in Monterrey!!! I forgot to listen to this great album!!!! :cry:

Harry said:
Chris Martin said:
God, I LOVE those 60's A&M Brasil '66 album covers!

P.s. Yazmin, is that a picture of Streisand on your avatar?

Yazmin's avatar is Lani Hall, as pictured on CLASSICS VOLUME 19. Here's a look at how that picture was used on the rare cassette version of that album:

laniclassicscassette.jpg

I always found that picture to be rather reminiscent of the pose she had on her ALBANY PARK album:

albany.jpg

Harry

Hey! You reminded me of some photos that were taken to me at the age of 12, when I was sitting on the floor and listening to my Walkman. I was wearing a blue dress and sling-back shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom