• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Advance CDs of SOUNDS, 9TH & BEAT found

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
While digging through the used discs today I spotted 3 discs in slim trays with no cover art among the Herb Alpert/TJB items. What a treat these turned out to be.

The first was an advance CD of SOUNDS LIKE (DK 32995), followed by NINTH (DK 33466) and BEAT OF THE BRASS (DK 33723). All have the Shout Factory logo at the 12:00 position, list of tracks (no bonuses) and the company website, phone number and 'For promotion only - not for sale' in the 6:00 position.

The price was $4 each, which the store normally charges for CD singles. The label sides are clear but the shiny side has a blue tint. This is the first time I've seen promos on any of the new releases. These are perfect for listening while on the road as well as collectors' items.

JB

Once you've had a chance to give these a listen, I sure would be interested in any comments about sound quality, etc.

LPJim said:
The price was $4 each, which the store normally charges for CD singles. The label sides are clear but the shiny side has a blue tint.

They could be CD-Rs. In the past, every so often, I used to get promo releases on CD-R. For small runs, it is probably more economical to get CD-Rs out quicker by just burning a few dozen of them.

I've played these in the car a couple of times and found the sound quality to be very good.
There's an interesting change on "Wade in the Water," which I've mostly listened to on mono LP 124.
Near the end of the track on LP 124 the horn part wanders slightly off-key at the end of the final "d-da-da-da-da" part. I'd always assumed this was done for the effect.
The new CD eliminates this so it stays on-key right to the end.
Hope my description makes sense,
I'll give these a few more spins and post any other notable differences.
JB

i was practically crucified for picking up 3 copies of the first reissues a while back

i guess some of these guys have calmed down a little

Mike Blakesley said:
Calmed down? No. Realized it's a losing battle not worth continuing? Yes.

Plus, advanced review copies are an oddity worth discussing as opposed to retail copies -- stamped cut or otherwise sold before the release date -- is just plain wrong :laugh:

--Mr Bill
who realizes that if he removed all promos from his 25+ crate collection of LPs, 12"s, 45s, tapes and CDs he'd have about 10 crates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom