1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "CARPENTERS" S/T (SP-3502)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Mar 8, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. ****

31 vote(s)
    53.4%
  3. ***

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member

I recently bought a West German pressing of this album and it has this cover.

2. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen a Horizon album without the flap.
    Jonathan

3. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

Most European territories got the Tan album without the fold-out sleeve and with the photo on the cover. It's a shame as although the US sleeve isn't the most inventive, it does have a certain simplicity in its design. The photo is awful - Richard has complained about the photo on the cover of the Close to You album, but to my mind this one is far worse than that.

I think a reissue in the 1980s of the Horizon LP dispensed with the cover flap, although I've never seen an original 1975 copy without it. I've also seen a 1980s reissue of Now and Then in a single non-gatefold sleeve - presumably it was considered ro be too much work to re-create the original album artwork (the same is true of the LP reissue of The Singles 1974-1978, which dropped the gold foil sleeve and used a facsimile design on regular card).

4. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Looking at this thread reminded me of another gem of a song:
    Let Me Be The One.
    This is an interesting song for many a reason.
    Happily it appears on (amongst other compilations)
    Carpenters Gold 35th Anniversary (which I am presently listening to).

5. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Some info gleaned from the 40th-Liner Notes (for those who do not have it):
    Richard Carpenter writes:
    "One Love" was written in 1967 (while we--John Bettis and I--were
    employed at Disneyland) and originally called "Candy."
    About the Bacharach/David Medley: "...we couldn't take the time and record the entire medley
    at the proper tempos, along with an orchestration I had fashioned."

Geographer likes this.
  6. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

That’s what made Live such a gift. They took the time then. On the album, the enerergy and excitement is created and it is good. My favorite section of the medley is on the Music music music TV Special.