• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

⭐ Official Review [Album] "KAREN CARPENTER" (SP-4804/CD-0588)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 13 25.0%

Votes: 19 36.5%

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, another question that could be proffered in an interview:
Why has Something's Missing been missing from release ?

Why?
Richard did not jump on board to help with the Solo album, when,
as reported in Coleman, page 272:
" She returned to A&M...wanted to continue... asked if they would pick new songs for her..."

Every indication, all supportive documentation that I can locate,
says that Richard Carpenter was not going to go ahead with this solo effort--even after Karen requested "they pick new songs."
I am not 'putting a downer' on Richard, or pointing fingers: I am providing factual, documentary evidence.

Richard evidently wanted to finish "Something's Missing" for a compilation release in the mid/late 90's-but somehow wasn't able to get clearance from A&M.

I never knew this, wow even Richard can't get clearance? That sounds weird so was Phil preventing that unreleased track from surfacing or was A&M really holding the reins?

The only thing that bothered me with "Something's Missing" and I don't think anyone has ever explained it....in part of the song Karen sings, Something Missing without the "s" and then the rest of the song it's with the "s" so was that deliberate or since it was a left over track was Karen just not familiar with the lyrics and messed up or was it suppose to be like that?

Something's Missing (In My Life):
"The late Paul Jabara was a talented singer, songwriter and actor who wrote or co-wrote, in the second half of the seventies, timeless disco hits like
“Last Dance” for Donna Summer, “Main Event/Fight” for Barbra Streisand,
“No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)” for Summer and Streisand and “(It’s) Raining Men” for The Weather Girls.
n the heels of his success as songwriter, Jabara, released three solo albums for Casablanca Records including “Keeping Time.”
Released in 1978, that album was a good disco/pop collection produced by Bob Esty. Among the most interesting moments are
a slowed-down version of Jabara’s Academy Award winning song, “Last Dance,” an up-tempo goodie entitled “Trapped In A Stairway”
that was included in the soundtrack of the movie “Thank God It’s Friday” and a disco anthem entitled “Pleasure Island” that was the main single off the album. There’s also a beautiful ballad that Jabara co-wrote with Jay Asher entitled “Something’s Missing (In My Life).”
That song was perfectly arranged by Esty and presented an incredible line-up of top notch musicians with David Foster on keyboards, Steve Lukather and Jay Graydon on guitars but also studio greats David Hungate on bass and Ed Greene on drums.
“Something’s Missing (In My Life)” resurfaced years later with Summer on lead vocals and that version can be found on Jabara’s 1989 cd “Greatest Hits And Misses.”
The song’s appeal must have been clear to Karen Carpenter who recorded it in 1979 for her solo album though it didn’t make the final cut while it became a big hit in Australia later on for singer Marcia Hines.
Jabara’s “Keeping Time” is a valid testament of the disco era with its light atmospheres but also solid songwriting and impeccable instrumental performances.
It remains to be said that Foster also played keyboards on “Pleasure Island” and the up-tempo opener, “Didn’t The Time Go Fast.”

Source:
http://www.fozfan.com/2012/02/19/somethings-missing-in-my-life/

Last night I listened to my Karen compilation which is her solo album and the unreleased solo songs. It doesn't all fit on one CD, so I easily left off Jimmy Mack as that song is just soooo embarrassing to listen to. As far as the songs on the released solo album, there are a few that I feel could easily have been slotted onto a Carpenters album. I didn't make note of them, so I couldn't say which ones without spinning through them again.

I do note that every time I listen to My Body Keeps Changing My Mind, I hear Donna Summer's Last Dance, and then I instantly yearn for the "original" Last Dance. Whenever that happens I know the song is "been there, already done that" and offers nothing knew. I think it is fine as a dance song the way it is and no need for, what I think are, atrocious remixed dance versions. Maybe the Donna Summer comparison has already been noted; this thread is 30 pages long.

In the thread on the album Lovelines, there is discussion of If I Had You. I prefer the version on her solo album primarily because I think Richard's ending overwhelms the rest of the song after a couple listenings.

Tonight I will listen to the other half of my CD compilation: the unreleased solo songs. They require a lot of work on my part, and I didn't want to destroy the good vibes I got last night from Karen's solo album. So, I stopped just before Last One Singing the Blues which I think is the best of the unreleased songs. It is supposedly a bonus unfinished song and works well as an introduction to the unreleased portion. I love that song as much as the rest of the released solo songs. Well, most of them.

Phil Ramone,
Making Records (2007, page 95 plus):
"What kind of audience will it appeal to?
Will the record present you in a way that your fans are unaccustomed to?
Karen Carpenter and I spent hours talking about these things in 1979.
These (last) two points were dwelled on, given Karen's close identification with the Carpenters.
Presenting her in a new context became the focus of our pre-recording discussions.
Karen made a conscientious decision to experiment with songs and styles that differed from the Carpenters' records.
...issued on CD in the 1990's, by then it had become more of a curio more famous for the rumor
surrounding its non-release than for its musical significance."

The Carpenters Fan Club Newsletters:
#63 April 1979:
"Karen can't resist the challenge to realize her long time ambition to cut a solo album.
She has flown to New York to work with producer Phil Ramone. She looks forward to her
new venture.."
#65 September 1979:
" To dispel rumors that the group has split up, Karen wishes to assure you this is not so. Richard felt the need for a
long vacation which will probably extend into the New Year. Karen has enjoyed her recording sessions in New York.
All the material, apart from one Oldie, will be original (no Disco!). Karen is unable to confirm any information regarding
a single from her eagerly awaited album."
"Mom and dad joined Karen in New York."
#66 January 1980:
"Karen has made several return trips to New York in connection with her recordings, and we anticipate release of her solo
album some time in March. She is in New York now working on the final segments, but until completion stage it
cannot be determined which track will be chosen for the initial single release."
"Richard plans on returning to the studios with Karen when she returns from New York."
#67 May 1980:
" After much thought, Karen has decided not to release a solo album."
"Finishing the project would delay the Carpenters' new album and next special,both of which the duo is delighted to be working on."

I tried to look for this and don;t recall getting any concrete information... Maybe Randy knows... However, in Karen;s mind, HAD this album been released, do we know which song(s) she preferred as the first and second singles? Surely, she'd have thought that out... Most people act like it would have been If I Had You - but I was curious if Karen ever actually said anything to Itchie or Phil...
Listening to the LP over the weekend and I was thinking My Body Keeps Changin' My Mind or Making Love in The Afternoon could have been nice...

I tried to look for this and don;t recall getting any concrete information... Maybe Randy knows... However, in Karen;s mind, HAD this album been released, do we know which song(s) she preferred as the first and second singles? Surely, she'd have thought that out... Most people act like it would have been If I Had You - but I was curious if Karen ever actually said anything to Itchie or Phil...
Listening to the LP over the weekend and I was thinking My Body Keeps Changin' My Mind or Making Love in The Afternoon could have been nice...

There never has been any concrete evidence of which song(s) would have been picked as a single. The furthest Karen got to the album's release was a catalogue number and the artwork. I've always thought the only person who'd know this is Itchie.

At some point, I always saw "Making Love" as a single. Particularly with Peter Cetera in the background vocals. I think listeners used to Richard with Karen would have appreciated the change up. (Perhaps that is why its never mentioned by Richard as a contender or was passed over.) A great second single from the album.

(Perhaps that is why its never mentioned by Richard as a contender or was passed over.) A great second single from the album.

Interesting that in all the debate about the solo album, Richard has never made reference to the fact that Peter Cetera was a guest vocalist on the album.

It is certainly puzzling. The entire fiasco.
Truthfully, tell me these songs could not have been ''readied'' or mixed for release.
Any one of these tunes could have been a strong contender for a 45-single:
IF I Had You
Making Love in The Afternoon
Lovelines
If We Try
Make Believe It's Your First Time
Remember When Lovin' Took All Night
If We Try
My Body Keeps Changing My Mind

Not to mention:
Something's Missing
Don't Try To Win Me Back
I Do It For Your Love

With some production work, fine-tuning---one or two of these is a sure Winner...a Hit for Karen Carpenter.
No matter how you 'slice and dice' it, that album had potential.

At some point, I always saw "Making Love" as a single. Particularly with Peter Cetera in the background vocals. I think listeners used to Richard with Karen would have appreciated the change up. (Perhaps that is why its never mentioned by Richard as a contender or was passed over.) A great second single from the album.
"Making love in the Afternoon" really should have been a duet, but I guess that wasn't acceptable to some for Karen to do. The Paul Simon song could also have been a duet with him. Had she gotten past the no no of doing duets, I think it had it been released it would only have improved her image by saying that Karen was accepted and appreciated by other highly successful and beloved artists. It might have conquered some of the drastic image change between the two styles she wanted to do.

It would have been really interesting (if Karen's album had been released) to see and hear Karen on talk shows or radio interviews promoting her album, this would have been really important stuff because if the album was released she obviously would have known people were going to ask her some tough questions and she had to know what she was going to say. For instance she's on a talk show to promote the album, she would obviously be asked many of these type questions:

So why are you making a solo album?
So are you full solo now or are you still recording with Carpenters?
How does Richard feel about you releasing this solo album?
So this material is quite different from Carpenters?
What was your reason after all these years to make a solo album?
What is your favorite song off your solo album?
I heard you went to NY to record your solo album, tell me what that was like?
What made you choose the material and why choose Phil Ramone?

These are all likely questions she would be faced with answering and Karen had done enough interviews up to this point that she knew she'd better be prepared. I think had this all transpired one thing would have led into the next and it would have been all about Karen and her solo album, all attention would be on her.

I'd love to ask Itchie just a few of these questions.... Several of which, she would undoubtedly know... Great feedback, all!

I wonder if it will ever happen. So much time has passed and events unfolded. I would love to hear that interview from Itchie and her point of view, no holds barred.

I remember a quote attributed to her that claims she said that if she ever saw Tom Burris again, 'he'd better see me first'.

My point in an interview with Itchie is not to get a tell all or find out what went wrong with Tom, let it be clear that is not what I'm asking of Chris May. I'm more interested in Karen's solo adventure and all the questions surrounding that Itchie would have had first hand information about. There is enough material in that to warrant and hour interview.

What was the experience like for Karen to be making a solo album?
Why was the album cover issued the way it was when Karen did a photo shoot and none of her photo were used the way they were shot?
Does Itchie think Karen would had approved of the way her album artwork was used?
What does Itchie feel was the real reason her solo album was shelved?
Was Karen left believing the solo album was still a go up to the last moment since Itchie was there for the photo shoot.
What are some memories that Itchie can share surrounding the photo shoot?
In an interview Itchie did with E entertainment tonight she is holding a large lp size photo of the now Voice of the Heart cover and its signed to Itchie love Karen, what can Itchie tell us about that photo and why was it presented to Itchie?
Did Itchie attend the recording sessions with Phil while Karen was recording tracks for her album?
Does Itchie think Karen taped a solo spot on Olivia's Hollywood Night tv special showcasing one of her solo singles to promote from her upcoming album but was later cut from the special? What does Itchie think about Karen re listening to her solo material years after she made it? Did she ever get over it otherwise why revisit it again?
How does Itchie feel about the solo project after all these years and what is her favorite track from the album?
What can Itchie tell us about Karen's unreleased extra solo tracks?
What was the New York experience like for Karen?
Did Karen mention doing a mini concert tour to promote the album?

Let's see....that should cover at least an hour maybe two...

Last edited:
My point in an interview with Itchie is not to get a tell all or find out what went wrong with Tom, let it be clear that is not what I'm asking of Chris May. I'm more interested in Karen's solo adventure and all the questions surrounding that Itchie would have had first hand information about. There is enough material in that to warrant and hour interview.

What was the experience like for Karen to be making a solo album?
Why was the album cover issued the way it was when Karen did a photo shoot and none of her photo were used the way they were shot?
Does Itchie think Karen would had approved of the way her album artwork was used?
What does Itchie feel was the real reason her solo album was shelved?
Was Karen left believing the solo album was still a go up to the last moment since Itchie was there for the photo shoot.
What are some memories that Itchie can share surrounding the photo shoot?
In an interview Itchie did with E entertainment tonight she is holding a large lp size photo of the now Voice of the Heart cover and its signed to Itchie love Karen, what can Itchie tell us about that photo and why was it presented to Itchie?
Did Itchie attend the recording sessions with Phil while Karen was recording tracks for her album?
Does Itchie think Karen taped a solo spot on Olivia's Hollywood Night tv special showcasing one of her solo singles to promote from her upcoming album but was later cut from the special? What does Itchie think about Karen re listening to her solo material years after she made it? Did she ever get over it otherwise why revisit it again?
How does Itchie feel about the solo project after all these years and what is her favorite track from the album?
What can Itchie tell us about Karen's unreleased extra solo tracks?
What was the New York experience like for Karen?
Did Karen mention doing a mini concert tour to promote the album?

Let's see....that should cover at least an hour maybe two...

You nailed it Chris! That's all the questions I'd love to know the answers to as well :tiphat:

Good for you Chris. That's what I'm interested in. To me, Little Girl Blue was as intimate of a recounting as anyone needs to know. More than that and I think I would feel creepy, like a voyeur. Know what I mean? I know enough about her struggles. She deserves her dignity preserved, and I think her friends were careful not to cross that line.

That said, it would be very interesting to hear about her recording sessions in New York. Maybe a few personal anecdotes about her sense of humor. :wink:

So much has been said. regarding Karen's integrity I would appreciate Itchie's take on these final years in so many questions. No gore mind you. But the truth. here say mind you but I believe Itchie Ramone wouldn't do our Karen an injustice. I'm pre-ordering my copy now. My first ticket is on reserve at the local movie palace as well. Just who said what? RC's true feelings? Herb, Jerry? Karen's emotional toll after having toiled relentlessly over her love offering and song of independence. Set the ding-dang record straight and lend credibility to Karen's statement about her "Fu**ing great album".

C'mon Itchie, please right a wrong if that can even be done at this juncture.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom