1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Aug 6, 2013.

How Would You Rate This Album?

1. ***** (BEST)

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. ****

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. ***

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  4. **

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Stereo Review Feb 1978
    Passage Album Review

[​IMG]

Bobberman, Don Malcolm, Jeff and 6 others like this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^That was nice to read.
    "Passage is an eventful recording."
    That is a nice conclusion !

3. GaryAlan

Listened to the EMI Vinyl of Yesterday Once More,
    the song
    Don't Cry For Me Argentina,
    is a superb vocal performance.....

Too bad the News footage of Passage recording session is (apparently) nonexistent.

4. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I remember reading about it in Billboard as a teenager. I either saw it in one of Randy’s articles in Yesterday Once More, or one of Chris An Ordinary Fool’s posts, if that is what you are referring to.

5. GaryAlan

Ed has reminded me that Joe Wissert was considered at one point for Passage Producer.
    I do wonder why we have never read of his interaction with A&M Records regarding
    this issue. How seriously was he considered for the "job" ?
    Was it simply a phone call ? Was he interviewed in person ?
    Certainly, we have never heard from Joe Wissert regarding his consideration.

ThaFunkyFakeTation and goodjeans like this.
  6. GaryAlan

Here is the relevant paragraph from the Coleman Biography:
    "With Weintraub, Richard met with several producers...but, too many seemed in awe of his (Richard's) achievements."
    "Finally, they thought they had settled on Joe Wissert...but, at the eleventh hour he called Richard and asked
    for a meeting, there he announced he was pulling out because he felt Karen would not respond to him as she had
    done to Richard in the studio." (Coleman, Page 217).

Question:
    (1) Who else was considered ? Those "several producers" ?
    and, observation:
    (2) This "eleventh-hour" pull-out reads as an eerily foreboding of the
    future pull-out that Karen decided upon, with regards to the solo venture.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  7. GaryAlan

Listening to the Jp
    Anthology
    Compilation-LP this morning.
    I must say,
    I Just Fall In Love Again...
    does sound fantastic here.

8. This may require further investigation. I just pulled out the 1989 CD set of ANTHOLOGY and it sounds as if "I Just Fall In Love Again" has a higher degree of reverb on Karen's vocals compared with all of the other versions. Can this be a previously undocumented remix?

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Here's a Victoria Day surprise. A while ago I posted some pictures of a Canadian 45 of the Edited version of Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft showing a Mono mix. Well, here's a link to that scarce Mono mix. The Mono mix starts about 4 minutes into the video, however, I included the stereo side as well for comparison.

For the transfer, since I'm setup for video transfers, rather than audio-only transfers, I hooked my record player up to a Hi-Fi VHS (and I don't have the room for a record player near my digitizing station) and copied it to the VHS's Hi-Fi track, and then I digitized that with an ADVC-300 to provide me with a DV-AVI (DV uses a 16-bit, 48kHz 1.5Mbps) file that I then uploaded to YouTube. So if you hear any tape sounds or digital audio compression issues, its from either the tape or YouTube. And for the linear version I just turned off the Hi-Fi on the playback VHS so that I had a 1-channel Mono recording, since my record player has a stereo needle and I had the stereo outputs of it connected to the VHS, and I know some of you say that you can hear on mono records some stereo issues when played back with a stereo needle, but if you compress the audio to mono, the problems go away. And for the recording, for both stereo and mono sides I had the VHS recording at SP mode, so the linear will be at VHS's maximum resolution for linear audio.

Don Malcolm and Jamesj75 like this.
  10. Thanks tomswift2002. That pretty well confirms my theory that any mono mix of the single was simply a fold-down of the stereo.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Well I find that Karen's last "We Are Your Friends" is more clear and stronger in the mono version---but that could be because the stereo version has her trailing off to the left as the song ends, whereas in mono they had to keep her in the center. But with the mono I find that the guitars are more overpowering, whereas in the stereo mix, because of the wider soundstage, they are more spread out and not as overpowering.

12. After closer examination, it has been determined that the ANTHOLOGY (89) version of "I Just Fall In Love Again" is the same standard album mix, but some EQ choices at mastering time has brought out some more enhanced-sounding reverb, noticeable near the start of the track.

13. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I would love to hear that!