alpert/metheny connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

recently,while reading downbeat, i was reading a column about what's happening in the wolrd of jazz, and there it was:tongue:at metheny,one of my alltime favorite musicians was teaching at berkelee,under a program sponsered none other than herb himself!{who also is another one of my alltime favorite musicians!}i thought that this was so great two of my favorites in the same sentence together! i wonder what they think of one another,and wouldn't it be great if they can do something together?{pat has mentioned more than once that burt bacharach is one of his musical heroes and burt did co write "this guy's in love with you",soooo.....}anyway thought i'd share that!

Welcome to the Corner!

Yes, we've discussed this when it first came out last December. Here's the thread to that topic:
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1104&highlight=berklee

Herb has a Visiting Professor program at Berklee, and has been active with the school over the past few years. Of course, he also received an honorary degree a couple of years ago as well. You can find an interview with Herb at the berklee site www.berklee.edu.

Capt. Bacardi

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
Hey Capt. Didn't you study at Berklee? Later...Jay

I went to Berklee, yes. As far as studying, well.... :D

Actually, since I was a performance major as opposed to a music education major, I didn't have to take the English and math classes. So my "schoolwork" consisted of arranging and composition, ear training, harmony, music analysis plus playing in whatever group I could get into. It was great. In the dorm, every floor had practice rooms at the end of the hall, and you could practice any time in the day or night and not bother anyone. There were also larger rooms downstairs where you could get a bunch of guys together and just jam. It was great.

Of course, since I was 22 when I was there I also became the designated booze buyer, charging just a - shall we say - small fee. :D

Capt. Bacardi
...wishing I was back in those days online...

Captain Bacardi said:
Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
Hey Capt. Didn't you study at Berklee? Later...Jay

I went to Berklee, yes. As far as studying, well.... :D

Actually, since I was a performance major as opposed to a music education major, I didn't have to take the English and math classes. So my "schoolwork" consisted of arranging and composition, ear training, harmony, music analysis plus playing in whatever group I could get into. It was great. In the dorm, every floor had practice rooms at the end of the hall, and you could practice any time in the day or night and not bother anyone. There were also larger rooms downstairs where you could get a bunch of guys together and just jam. It was great.

Capt. Bacardi
...wishing I was back in those days online...

Sounds like the perfect place and cirriculum...I'd never wanna leave...I'd be a 'professional student"...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Sounds like the perfect place and cirriculum...I'd never wanna leave...I'd be a 'professional student"...

You'd better have plenty of money, then. Berklee ain't cheap! The tuition was about twice as much as any other college. That's why I could only stay there a year - it was all I could afford.

Capt. Bacardi

Could I just 'sit in"? It sounds like that would be a great place to audit a class or two, and would probably redefine the term...

Dan, dreaming, online...

Sorry to burst Jazzdre's dream bubble, but Berklee's guest lectures by Metheny provide the thinnest of an implied connection between Metheny and Alpert. I doubt they've ever stood on the same stage together, let alone ever had a conversation. Also, Pat Metheny has had no involvement in A&M recordings. But I guess we can dream, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom