Alpert Reissues in Billboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just read this about the upcoming TJB reissues from Billboard. Notice the different release date:

Alpert's Brass Polished for Re-Release

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - It's easy to remember the '60s filtered through the music of the Beatles, Elvis Presley, the Beach Boys or Frank Sinatra, but there was another act that ruled the chart.

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass spent an amazing 32 weeks at No. 1 between 1962 and 1968 and scored a slew of hits including "This Guy's in Love With You" and "A Taste of Honey."

Through a licensing deal with Shout Factory, at least 14 titles will hit stores again come February via the "Herb Alpert Signature Series," Billboard has learned. The albums all originally came out on A&M, the label Alpert and Jerry Moss founded in the early '60s. Although reissued on CD in the late '80s, many have been out of print for years.

On Feb. 8, 1962's "The Lonely Bull" and 1965's "South of the Border" will be re-released. Also arriving that day is "Lost Treasures," a collection of previously unreleased songs recorded during the group's heyday.

The program will continue through May 2006, with releases scheduled to hit stores approximately every two months, including the iconic "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" in April. For those too young to remember, that album's cover -- a comely young woman covered in whipped cream -- was considered quite risque at the time and, as Alpert says, was "pinned up in the bathroom" of many hot-blooded American males.

Alpert oversaw the remastering of the sets and the expanded liner notes, all of which contain additional reflections by him.

The journey back in time was a pleasant one for Alpert. "It has been wonderful," he says. "It caught me off guard. I try not to live in the past, (but) when I heard these tapes, I just felt it would be nice for people to be able to experience it."

The music, a melange of jazz, pop, tropical, R&B and Latin sounds, captured a period in time.

"There was a certain naturalness that was happening in the '60s and '70s that felt more like a happening," Alpert says. "Production wasn't as clean and neat as I'm hearing these days. They're not perfect, but they have an honest feeling, which is what I was going for."

Alpert and Moss regained control of Alpert's catalog when they sold Rondor Publishing to PolyGram in 2000.

For Shout founding partner and COO Bob Emmer, the project serves as a reunion. "My first job was as a college rep for A&M between 1969 and 1972," he says. Emmer and Moss occasionally saw each other while vacationing in Maui, and, recently, Moss approached him to discuss the potential pairing.

"Shout Factory has put out some wonderful compilations that look great, so we were looking for their expertise," Moss says. "We wanted to represent Herbie in a really, really substantial and tasty way."

The primary audience for the Brass' music, Emmer believes, is the 35- to 55-year-old demo, but Emmer says the label's outreach includes much younger fans. "It basically comes down to publicity and making people aware," he says. "It's hitting people over the head with a two-by-four."

The releases are the original recordings, except Alpert says he did re-record a few of his trumpet parts.

In addition to the Tijuana Brass catalog, Sony-distributed Shout Factory also plans to reissue Alpert's solo albums.

Capt. Bacardi
...now awaiting an extra week for the reissues, online...

Interesting--solo albums too, huh? :thumbsup: Guess we'll have to wait and see if the Billboard article is "hot air" or not. :wink:

It would seem that if 14 titles are going to be reissued, that would mean that each album through SUMMERTIME and LOST TREASURES would be the whole batch...and YOU SMILE and CONEY ISLAND wouldn't be in the group. THAT might be the answer to the question about I MIGHT FRIGHTEN HER AWAY...

But, the article DID say, "at LEAST 14"...so, there's hope. And, SOTB was originally released in 1964...and rereleased in '65 after the success of WHIPPED CREAM and GOING PLACES.

If the solo albums are actually going to be rereleased. YSTSB and CI should be, too...wouldn't make sense not to...

We'll know pretty soon...

Dan

If they're approximately two months, ending around May 2006, that's as many as 16 albums. Won't know until they come out! :)

My opinion would be the emphasis is on the original TJB; as the article says, 1962-1968 - that is the "heyday" and zenith of the sound, and where the greatest mass popularity of the music occurred.

I think that many people who remember Herb Alpert and the TJB - and who might buy these reissues - think of the sixties, and the TJB music from that era. That is the time when this music made its biggest impact and had the greatest mass popularity. From a sales of the reissues potential, this only makes sense. We who post here on this forum may not be the "average" person with respect to A&M artists; we are the "diehards," so to speak. We may have kept pace with everything Herb has ever done; whereas many other people may have "lost track" of Herb at the end of the sixties - perhaps "This Guy's..." is the last thing they heard from Herb?

Perhaps there will be some other items reissued as well.

But, I think the article makes the emphasis pretty clear as to the impact and influence of the sound, style, music on that era, and that era is likely to be the focal point of the project. Herb Alpert and the TJB were a "soundtrack" to the cultural and musical "landscape" of the sixties, as the article suggests, and it seems to be an intent to recapture that with the reissues project.

Just my opinion, FWIW...

They must be going to leave out the "Greatest Hits" titles, Solid Brass, Foursider etc. No big loss there, although I think it'd be cool to see the two GREATEST HITS albums combined onto one CD, with more of the actual hits added...making it a true GREATEST HITS.

whenever they come out,this is still GREAT NEWS!!!!i always wanted these albums on cd(i only have whipped cream on cd)now i'll get the chance!!!also,you all know what a bug i am about the tjb videos;any chance of them coming out as well? well,anyway this will make a great birthday present for me!!

They seem to be skipping past VOLUME TWO (LP/SP 103) for the time being. It was released in 1963 but didn't hit the charts until '66.
SOUTH OF THE BORDER, from 1964, was third.
JB

"The releases are the original recordings, except Alpert says he did re-record a few of his trumpet parts. "

I'd love to know why this is coming to pass...

Ed

I think this is just wonderful news. I used to subscribe to Billboard Magazine, and in my experience the information there strives to be very accurate. It would be interesting to know just what has inspired Herb Alpert to this unusual (for him) step to revisiting his musical past and initiating this massive reissue project. It would not surprise me if some of what has been said on this site through the years has made a certain impact. After all, we all have this genuine, honest love for the TJB period and for a sensitive artist like Herb Alpert that would be hard to ignore in the long run.

- greetings from the cold,snowy north -
Martin

"The releases are the original recordings, except Alpert says he did re-record a few of his trumpet parts. "

Deteriorated master tapes?
He's been talking to Richard Carpenter?
He's been talking to George Lucas?
He always hated a wrong note that he blew when in a hurry to get done one day?

Could be any number of reasons. I just hope he doesn't replace any "real" trumpets with "muted" ones...

I find it interesting that Shout Factory is Sony-distributed. If I didn't know better, I would say that this is a "Up Yours!" to Uni! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

martin said:
It would be interesting to know just what has inspired Herb Alpert to this unusual (for him) step to revisiting his musical past and initiating this massive reissue project.

If you recall, Randy Alpert had been bugging Herb to put the masters of his music in a digital format, before the tapes deteriorated even more. I think that had more to do with this project than anything else.

Capt. Bacardi

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:

This is only a guess, but maybe he redid some parts of albums like The Brass Are Comin', where his trumpet tone sounded like crap. That wouldn't bother me too much.

Capt. Bacardi

From a buyer's perspective I'd rather see all these reissues released at the same time. While I think everyone should buy them, I can't predict how well the initial releases will sell. My concern is that if response isn't swift and overwhelming the program might get scrapped.
Finding a title that went out of print in a short time is easier than trying to locate one that never got issued in the first place.
JB

If you recall, Randy Alpert had been bugging Herb to put the masters of his music in a digital format, before the tapes deteriorated even more. I think that had more to do with this project than anything else.

I can't think of a better reason for this bonanza. Presumably, if everything is digitized and "vaulted," it can never be lost. Correct?

I share the concern expressed that the project might not garner adequate attention and sales at first. The best we all can bank on is Mr. Alpert's demonstrated business acumen and the willingness of the producers to spend money to make it, or at least break even. Or maybe, for the principals, this isn't about money but, rather, posterity. Does such a world any longer exist? Did it ever?

I find it quite fascinating that H.A. has rerecorded some of the trumpet parts. I guess you can't keep a perfectionist from showing his true colors!

Saturday night, Reuters picked up the Billboard story, which means there will soon be a much higher profile for this news. You'll begin reading much more about it. Forget Fox News, CNN and your local newspaper...after 25 years in the biz, I can tell you, wire services are the real news powerhouse.

Saturday night, Reuters picked up the Billboard story, which means there will soon be a much higher profile for this news. You'll begin reading much more about it. Forget Fox News, CNN and your local newspaper...after 25 years in the biz, I can tell you, wire services are the real news powerhouse.

Probably true...but I'll bet we'll see Herb on Larry King or Deborah Norville pretty soon. Brian Wilson did both...

Dan

If Whipped Cream & Other Delights is released in April...I wonder what other albums will be released with it? Maybe Going Places and What Now My Love? I really want What Now My Love because I can't wait to get my hands on Plucky and Freckles remastered.

The last line of the artical says "Shout Factory also plans to reissue Alpert's solo albums".

If so... maybe I'll be able to get "Fandango" on CD without having to pay $200.00 for a used copy on ebay. That would be so nice.

Mike said:
The last line of the artical says "Shout Factory also plans to reissue Alpert's solo albums".

If so... maybe I'll be able to get "Fandango" on CD without having to pay $200.00 for a used copy on ebay. That would be so nice.

Of all the solo albums, Fandango is by far my favorite.

I also hope it will be one of the solo albums released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom