Alpert Reissues in Billboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
"The releases are the original recordings, except Alpert says he did re-record a few of his trumpet parts. "

I'd love to know why this is coming to pass...

Ed

I do not trust Billboard's sloppy article, actually...Herb DID record new parts, but for the "Lost Treasures" tracks that had no trumpet part originally. There is no reason to rerecord anything on the original albums that I can think of. I'll wait until someone from Alpert's camp CAN verify this, or we get the discs and notice the differences ourselves IF there are any.

I've learned to not trust everything I read...and Billboard has never been perfect, editorial-wise, in the past either. All they did was open up a hornet's nest here, where there probably IS none. I would think Herb Alpert is above that kind of revisionist re-recording that other artists are fond of. Maybe to repair a bad section of tape? Yeah, I could buy that. But to drop in a few fixed notes in a 30-40 year old recording just does not sound right...and to totally record a new trumpet part for a track on an existing album just doesn't seem likely.

IOW, I ain't buyin' this story AT ALL. Until I hear otherwise, I'm considering Billboard's statement to be total B.S.

Short quote from Rudy: "Total BS!"

Gee Rudy, sounds like you’ve got a definite opinion about this Billboard story. You’re not holding anything back are you?

Mike said:
Short quote from Rudy: "Total BS!"

Gee Rudy, sounds like you’ve got a definite opinion about this Billboard story. You’re not holding anything back are you?

I just see how a small error in the press (or a misunderstanding, which is how I see it w/ Billboard) can blow a misquote all out of proportion into a big nasty rumor that nobody can even prove. Just trying to avoid that here, IOW. :wink:

So basically, I'd rather hear the info from an official source rather than see everyone speculate and worry that classic TJB tracks are re-recorded. :) Plus, I subscribed to Billboard for a couple of years...and on their publishing schedule, errors DO happen occasionally.

"I would think Herb Alpert is above that kind of revisionist re-recording that other artists are fond of"

Didn't he do just that with Collectibles!? I never understood the point except for the big band sound on We Could Be Flying....

Stephen

There are a couple more paragraphs to the article at Billboard's website which sheds a bit of light behind the scenes of the deal (Jerry Moss was involved!)

I added those paragraphs into the Captain's original post at the top of this thread (the added parts are in italics). Hope that's OK, Cap'n! :)

COLLECTIBLES was different. It was a "best of," and artists will do various things to make a "best-of" sell, including adding new tracks or re-doing old ones.

If you check out the Herb Alpert & TJB CDs on ebay, they are still selling like hot cakes at top dollar. Maybe there’s a new market for “Vintage” TJB CDs, or the word just isn’t getting out to the people with money to burn.

I'm surprised nobody pointed out that Billboard spelled Alpert with the infamous B in both the headline AND the article! But they corrected themselves halfway through the article.

This must be the "small error in the press" Rudy speaks of above. :D

I interpret the line about the re-recorded trumpet parts to be solely about the LOST TREASURES recordings. We got that information from Randy Badazz - straight from the source - so it's easy to understand how a piece of information can get twisted when it's not presented properly.

The interviewer probably asked "Are these all original recordings?" Herb, answering, probably qualified the answer that the LOST TREASURES disc has some newly recorded trumpet parts. The interviewer or article compiler shortens that to "The releases are the original recordings, except Alpert says he did re-record a few of his trumpet parts. "

Then the reader ipcks up on that and decides that these are all revisionist recordings like those from Richard Carpenter or Herb's own work on Lani's COLLECTIBLES.

Like Rudy said - take it with a grain of salt, and lets all discuss what WE hear on February 8th. Deal? Deal!

Harry
...catching up after returning from vacation, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom