• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Alternate takes of Goodbye To Love??

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Hi

Forgive me if this has already been discussed at some point (don't recall seeing it though), but something has always bothered me about this song.

When you listen to the version that has made it through to all the later years compilations, hits packages etc, and compare it with the original Singles 69-73 version, does anyone else think these are two different takes??

It's not the ambience of the recording that's different, it actually sounds like a different take recorded at a different time. Karen's voice is softer and it's almost as if she 'whispers' the lines a touch more than on the later version, sung in her slightly harder, richer voice that she developed in 1973 (to my ears anyway :))

I would love to hear anyone else's take on this (no pun intended!!)

Stephen

It is the same take, however Richard plays a bit more aggressively on the remixed version and has saturated Karen's lead with reverb. It does make the vibe of the lead vocal sound different, but I think this was Richard's intention to make the song sound more "updated" and re-
fined. -Chris

I don't mean to contradict but check out the line "So I've made my mind up, I must live my life alone". There are two very distinct vocal takes of that line on the two versions. I hear the difference quite clearly and it isn't reverb. One is breathier and more pained while the other is more bold and purposeful. I do hear thicker reverb on most of it (in fact, on most of his remixes, he punches up the reverb dramatically on her voice). In this case, however, there really are different vocal takes at work here.

Ed

Wow...Well then, I MUST give it another listen. Ya know, I may have spoken too soon as I have not actually "A-B"ed the two versions per se. I'll give it another whirl!!! :) Thanks Ed. -Chris

There indeed two takes of the line " So I've made my mind up, I must live my life alone".

Take # 1 can be found:

1972 version
1973 remix
1991 remix

Take # 2:

1985 remix
1990 remix

Hope that clears it up

Ed is right. The first time this new vocal part appeared was on the Yesterday Once More 2 record set with Superstar and Rainy Days & Mondays remixed as well.

It was a great joy to discover the fact as it was not written anywhere on the jacket. All you had to do was just to listen to each track with your own ears.

Another find was a different vocal take on A Song For You.

I'm not sure if Richard cut out particular parts of Karen's alternate vocals and add them to the originals.

Maybe I should write to ask him about that!

Your also forgetting that there is yet another diff take of the Quad album, she changes the lyrics which appears to make the song sound diff, so there may even be another full version out there.

Thanks for reminding me Chris. I totally forgot about the Quad stuff. You are probably right. With so many different takes, there is bound to be another full version. Great insight! :D

I was listening to the Quad album with headphones and noticed inthe line "So I've made my mind up, I must live my life alone" that alone has 2 lead vocal overdubs. The line "All the Tears od Useless Search has finally reached an end" has also been overdubbed.

There are also lead overdubs on the Quad version of Ticket To Ride in the first part of the song. I'll get back to you on that later with more information.

raz42289 said:
I was listening to the Quad album with headphones and noticed inthe line "So I've made my mind up, I must live my life alone" that alone has 2 lead vocal overdubs.

For them to just place the double over a single word like that sounds like a mixing error to me. In other words, the remix engineer did not shift between takes fast enough at that particular word, causing a bleed-over from the alternate take. This is also heard in the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" and has been documented as a mixing error as well. (Where were Ray and Roger when ya needed them?!?!) -Chris

There are quite a few errors in this mix. There is a harsh squeeking sound right before Karen starts to sing. Sounds like one of those squeeky dog toys. It's not loud but noticeable.

Also, Karen's vocals are about a second behind after the intro compared to the original Singles mix. I don't think that was supposed to happen.

There is something else, but it is far from my mind at this moment.

And there is a possibility that the line "All the Tears of Useless Search has finally reached an end" was accidentally included.

raz42289 said:
And there is a possibility that the line "All the Tears of Useless Search has finally reached an end" was accidentally included.

You may very well be right, Andrew. I know that two phrases over: "From this day love is forgotten, I'll go..." is obviously doubled on the '72 and '84 mixes, which tells me that Richard himself must have intended for those vocals to be doubled all along. However, I have always thought it was a poor double in general...very uneven (IMHO, for whatever
THAT'S worth). :D -Chris

I told you that TIKET TO RIDE had doubled vocals. I told you wrong. It was actually YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

In the chorus "So fine" has been doubled. I really love these doubled lead vocals. I really hope the 5.1 SACD has these. They are awesome!

Wow...I would love to hear that doubled there...Also on the "still shines" part as her voice resonates so well on the single tracked vocal. The SACD should be very interesting!! -Chris

The "still shines" part is awesome too. I tought that this part shoul've been doubled. It makes more sense to me. And this part sounds the best on the original version. What happened with the remix?

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I still hear things in the intros of the different versions that seem to deceive my ears.

Obviously various versions exist, including the one with the 'niner' slate, count in and breath, and the one with breath only etc.

But the two I have just quoted are not the same - Karen's intake of breath on the 'breath only' intro version is different from the one where you hear Richard count her in. You can tell by the sound of her inhalation.

I can only assume RC has cut and pasted her intake of breath from another track, much in the same way he superimposed his own spoken 's' sound on Crystal Lullaby, to correct the word 'tumtimes' lol.

Still, it has me wondering where this version has come from, because it's not the one I have on 'Their Greatest Hits (UK 1990), where the breath is removed altogether, probably for the headphone leakage reason above.

Stephen

Well, Richard does mention that due to the bleed-through of the count in through Karen's headphones, while remixing the track in '85, Richard "put the breath in". I'm assuming he did it himself and that may be the discrepancy. That may account for one of the versions you are referring to.

There are also remixes I have heard where you still hear Karen's ORIGINAL breath, however the fade-in is gradual and the breath subtle, as if Richard is trying to mask his outtake. However if you listen closely, you can still hear it. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom