Am I thinking of the same song here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

Was the song, "What A Wonderful World", written by Herb Alpert and Lou Adler, the same song sung by Louis Armstrong? I know from the Herb Alpert/TJB Page that Sam Cooke recorded his own version.:cool:

Different song. The one that Herb co-wrote is the "Don't know much about history..."

Harry

I don't think so. I think you're referring to the song made popular by Art Garfunkel "What A Wonderful World" as written by Herb Alpert & Lou Adler. The Louis Armstrong song was written by George Weiss and Bob Thiele.

Here are the lyrics of Herb & Lou's version of the song:

What A Wonderful World

What a wonderful
wonderful world this could be.
What a wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful world.

Don't know much about history.
Don't know much biology.
Don't know much about science books.
Don't know much about the french I took.
But I do know that I love you.
And I know that if you love me too.

What a wonderful
wonderful world this would be.

Don't know much about geography.
Don't know much trigonometry.
Don't know much about algebra.
Don't know what a slide rule is for.
But I do know one and one is two.
And if this one could be with you.

What a wonderful
What a wonderful
wonderful
wonderful world.

Now I don't claim to be an "A"-student
But I'm try'n' to be.
I think that maybe by bein' an "A"-student baby
baby

I could win your love for me

Don't know much about the middle ages
I saw the pictures and I turned the pages
Don't know nothin' 'bout no rise and fall
Don't know nothin' 'bout nothin' at all.
Girl it's you that I've been thinkin' of
And if I could only win your love.

What a wonderful
What a wonderful
wonderful
wonderful world
this would be
What a wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful world

Jon

...getting his worlds together, online...

I think I remember the above song as being recorded by Herman's Hermits, featuring Peter Noone? But, without the third verse...

So, that's it! Yeah, I've heard both versions on the oldies station we pick up here. Funny though, whenever they play it, they never mention the title, so I guess that's where my confusion lay.

Thanks for clearing that one up. :idea:

I.I.N.M., the Adler-Alpert composition originally recorded by Mr. Cooke and covered by Herman's Hermits was first called "Wonderful World," and, by the time of Art Garfunkel with James Taylor & Paul Simon's version, "(What A) Wonderful World." The song recorded by Armstrong -- some copies and/or issues of which listed George David Weiss's co-writer as one George Douglas instead of Bob Thiele, and others of which listed all three as writers -- had its title shown as "What A Wonderful World" (no pre- or subtitles). My own copy of the Armstrong record -- the very original, issued in late 1967 on ABC single #10982 -- listed the writers as Weiss and Douglas; what is not in doubt was that Mr. Thiele was the producer.

But back to the Adler-Alpert "Wonderful World": I prefer Sam Cooke's version, bar none. The Garfunkel-Taylor-Simon recording, I thought, had too much resemblance to some of Mr. Taylor's other records, namely "You've Got A Friend" (his version of which I prefer to Carole King's) and "Handy Man" (originally recorded in '59 by Jimmy Jones).

The Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" can be found on a 1988 A&M recording -- the soundtrack for GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM. FWIW, on the back of that CD, it's listed as being composed by George Weiss and Bob Thiele.

Harry
...on a dreary Sunday morning, online...

Harry said:
The Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" can be found on a 1988 A&M recording -- the soundtrack for GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM. FWIW, on the back of that CD, it's listed as being composed by George Weiss and Bob Thiele.

And I read somewhere that on a jazz compilation tied into Ken Burns' mammoth documentary on same, the Armstrong tune listed as writers George Weiss, George Douglas and Bob Thiele.

But this question that I doubt anyone has thought of, would be this: Could it be that perhaps "George Douglas" was a pseudonym?

A couple of sites credit "Bob Thiele(aka George Douglas)",adding credibility to the mysterious Mr. Douglas,though I don't remember that in Thiele's autobiography. RCA owns the Flying Dutchman (another Thiele label)version(and they might own a couple of different versions,too),recorded 5/26/70 and they use the credits"George David Wiess-Robert Thiele". Mac

If you go to ASCAP.com and search the ACE database for "George Douglas", you get a list of several George Douglases. Click on the second one and you get the songs composed by Bob Thiele.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom