How would you rate/order each Carpenters' album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That first chord even seems either just a tad up-cut, or Richard hurried the next note.

On a related note, has anyone else ever noticed the hurried note on the piano at 0m15s on “Yesterday Once More”? I always heard it, but the karaoke master reveals how rushed it is. The original piano mix is the same.

Sorry Tom…that comment is…I’m reminded of Richard’s comment: “Streisand has ears!”

On Interpretations Breaking Up Is Hard To Do should have replaced it? 🤔 😂
I have no idea what you’re talking about with that Streisand quote.

And, yes, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do should’ve been considered to replace it. Or even Jambalaya. Both were international singles, and better known. You’re The One has forgettable lyrics and tune and even the Jennifer Warnes version couldn’t save it.

9 - Lovelines (8/10): ... "You're the One" has one of Karen's loveliest vocals but the lyric is really weak if you listen to it. Karen makes more of it than it actually is and Richard's production is, in this rare instance, dead on. .
You're correct here on every point - although the lyrics weren't that weak - just a tad over the top, romantically speaking. The vocal execution here, however, matches in stunning quality what she accomplished on SUPERSTAR, RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS, FOR ALL WE KNOW and that great Christmas classic HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS. And speaking strictly about her singing performance i feel that her work on WHERE DO I GO... is in the same league.

I think it's very interesting that everything you say about YTO equally applies to CLOSE TO YOU - the obsessive and fanciful (and very youthful) lyrics; Karen making more of it (much more) than it actually is; and Richard's dead on (and masterful) arrangement.

The only thing I don't like about "You're The One" is Richard's piano-key-pounding at the opening of the song. It probably would have been better with a lighter touch there. That first chord even seems either just a tad up-cut, or Richard hurried the next note. Other than that, Karen sings it well, though it's not a favorite. Fits well on LOVELINES though.

"...sings it well..." Maybe one of the more notable understatements in the history of the Forum :)...like saying a juicy, tasty, sizzling Ribeye steak is "an adequate and passable source of protein"...Really, her work here is a Master Class in the Fine Art of Singing a song! You will never hear it done any better (although she equaled it on several songs).

"...sings it well..." Maybe one of the more notable understatements in the history of the Forum :)...like saying a juicy, tasty, sizzling Ribeye steak is "an adequate and passable source of protein"...Really, her work here is a Master Class in the Fine Art of Singing a song! You will never hear it done any better (although she equaled it on several songs).
Yes, "sings it well." That applies to my estimation that the song itself was indeed just another filler track that had been left in the vault. I have no problems with those who wish to gush over it - please just respect my views even if my feeling are not the same as yours.

(Maybe it would have been better with some voice-doubling!) :hide:

Yes, "sings it well." That applies to my estimation that the song itself was indeed just another filler track that had been left in the vault. I have no problems with those who wish to gush over it - please just respect my views even if my feeling are not the same as yours.

(Maybe it would have been better with some voice-doubling!) :hide:
Sorry Harry - I didn't mean any disrespect - in fact, I respect you a great deal for your expertise on the Carpenters and their career and recordings - and for all you've done here over the years on this Forum. I was just trying to inject a little humor into the discussion - hence the smiley face...

BTW - Is that you cringing under the chair at the end of the sacrilegious comment about the dreaded "voice doubling"?

And, yes, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do should’ve been considered to replace it. Or even Jambalaya. Both were international singles, and better known. You’re The One has forgettable lyrics and tune and even the Jennifer Warnes version couldn’t save it.

"Even Jennifer Warnes couldn't save it." This I don't get. Jennifer Warnes isn't a terrible vocalist by any means but Karen is, IMHO, light years better than Jennifer ever was.

Ed

Sorry Harry - I didn't mean any disrespect - in fact, I respect you a great deal for your expertise on the Carpenters and their career and recordings - and for all you've done here over the years on this Forum. I was just trying to inject a little humor into the discussion - hence the smiley face...

BTW - Is that you cringing under the chair at the end of the sacrilegious comment about the dreaded "voice doubling"?
Yes, I too was just having some fun, admittedly pushing one of your buttons. I wasn't serious. 😁

To say “You’re The One” is filler material does it a disservice really. You have to divorce yourself from the fact that Richard was scoring own goal after own goal by this point as producer of hit single material and just focus on the lead vocal. Technically, and emotionally, it’s one of the most ambitious things Karen ever committed to tape. Try singing it - lower the key if you have to. The quality of her vocal was never better - and by that I include songs like “Superstar”. This is on another level. The fact it’s not commercial enough to be a single is neither here nor there.
I agree, there is real commitment in the vocal which raises it to a thing of beauty. Overanalyzing the lyrics for their meaning overlooks the sheer musicality, and this performance is really outstanding. I love it.

Isn't the Streisand quote another from the Coleman biography, of an example of Karen underrating herself?

I'm interested in the oft mentioned comparison of the two versions of Make Believe It's Your First Time.
My ear hears a lower key on the VOH version? If that is so, it goes to prove the understanding of Richard of Karen's voice.
To me, it sounds more a love worn interpretation/jaded, second time around muse kind of a song which in the context of when it was recorded by Karen is interesting. In it's context, I like the solo album effort too -- for the tenderness of the delivery.
I guess if the VOH version was from a work lead that may explain the need to 'pad' it out via the backing arrangement and instrumentation.
It would be interesting to hear the vocal cleaner, with some of the vocal backing stripped off -- although my box set cd version from around the mid 90s maybe getting a little worn!

Yes, I too was just having some fun, admittedly pushing one of your buttons. I wasn't serious. 😁
Ha! You don't even have to push THAT button - just approaching it with a finger sets it off...

I'm interested in the oft mentioned comparison of the two versions of Make Believe It's Your First Time.
My ear hears a lower key on the VOH version? If that is so, it goes to prove the understanding of Richard of Karen's voice.
To me, it sounds more a love worn interpretation/jaded, second time around muse kind of a song which in the context of when it was recorded by Karen is interesting. In it's context, I like the solo album effort too -- for the tenderness of the delivery.
I guess if the VOH version was from a work lead that may explain the need to 'pad' it out via the backing arrangement and instrumentation.
It would be interesting to hear the vocal cleaner, with some of the vocal backing stripped off -- although my box set cd version from around the mid 90s maybe getting a little worn!
Brendon - I like both versions - I really do like the added bridge on the VOTH version - I think it was well conceived and then sung by Karen - her voice soars here - as far as the "padding" goes I think it was relatively subdued and restrained, appearing gradually as the song progresses - I've never had any objection to choral accompaniment on their records and I think it's soft and tasteful here - my only objection to padding of any kind is whenever it gets in the way of - obscures - her vocals (like it did, for example, on I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN)...

As a side note I wonder why they never used selected young people from the Cal State Long Beach choir on some of their records - say, as a token tribute to Frank Pooler and to their "vocal roots" - I'm sure the choir members would have loved the opportunity.

"Even Jennifer Warnes couldn't save it." This I don't get. Jennifer Warnes isn't a terrible vocalist by any means but Karen is, IMHO, light years better than Jennifer ever was.

Ed
Jennifer Warnes recorded hers shortly before the Carpenters did, and her version is so close to the Carpenters. The only real difference is the vocal and neither vocal rescues the song. It’s a terrible song that could not be saved and it’s forgettable no matter who sings it. It’s trash.

Jennifer Warnes recorded hers shortly before the Carpenters did, and her version is so close to the Carpenters. The only real difference is the vocal and neither vocal rescues the song. It’s a terrible song that could not be saved and it’s forgettable no matter who sings it. It’s trash.
If this song is "trash" then please give me a dumpster full!

While I'll defend your right to express your opinion, why do I get the distinct impression that you're "putting us on" here, that you're "trolling" us?

While I'll defend your right to express your opinion, why do I get the distinct impression that you're "putting us on" here, that you're "trolling" us?
I’d say the same about you. Doesn’t matter how good the singer is, if the song’s trash, even the best vocalist in the world will not be able to save a ship that is already sunk to the ocean floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom