• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AN EVENING WITH PATTI PAGE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Saw a real neat concert just a night ago. It was Patti Page! And even at 76 years old, she was still a good performer. Songs like "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?", "Old Cape Cod" and "I Went To Your Wedding" and even "Mockingbird Hill" were done in a medley. But she sang songs like "Hope Chest" (one of her first songs) "Child Of Mine" (which may or may not be the Carol King song, but it's one of her latest), and of course her most famous, "The Tennesse Waltz". She even has a new version called "The NEW Tennessee Waltz", that she made on a recent album with country performers like Emmylou Harris and Katy Mattea. Not to mention, three Christmas Songs, "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire", being one of them. And a song "right between her old stuff and new stuff", "Gentle On My Mind". She also did a great version of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" with a bit of "You Are My Sunshine", in the middle (where you usually hear "I Know", sung 14 times). Other oldies were "Detour", "Just Over The Bridge"and "Unchained Melody". And the best song she did was actually her second one in the set--"Less Than The Song" by A&M Artist, the late Hoyt Axton. Makes me wonder if she made the best known version, if it survived into her live shows. Could she be a big Hoyt fan? Would love to hear it on record. Never owned or looked into her albums, so now would be a good time to start. Currently she and her husband are also in the Pancake Mix & Maple Syrup Business, farming and producing their syrup & maunfacturing their pancake mix in New Hampshire, where they live.

It was a great show, but to get her autograph, I had to wait outside the stage door in the freezing cold and give someone my tour program for her to sign. Not much of a "meet & greet" session, even though I was the only one there for it. :sad:

Still, "A Good Time Had By All"!! :)

Dave

Dave: Patti Page performed in Midland, Michigan at the Midland Center For The Arts. Was that the concert that you were talkin' about? Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

I just love Patti Page. Some of her old albums were newly released on CD where there were 2 albums on 1 CD. I wish I could have gone :!:

My favorite songs by her ar Detour, Cross over the Bridge, and Tennesee Waltz. Patti Page is certainly a classic :!:

AM Matt said:
Dave: Patti Page performed in Midland, Michigan at the Midland Center For The Arts. Was that the concert that you were talkin' about? Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Actually, No! Sorry I forgot to post the venue Ms. Page was at. Patti performed at THE MACOMB CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS in Clinton Township--near MACOMB COMMUNITY COLLEGE and Mt. Clemens, MI.

Dave :D

Back in the Summer of 1953, Patti did a song called "Butterflies" on Mercury Records but that song is not available on CD. The song peaked at # 10 back in July of 1953 on the Billboard Pop Memories Charts. The 45 flip side was "This Is My Song" peaking at # 20 back in August of 1953 on the charts, the theme from the NBC TV series. My mom or my late dad had the 45 single way back then but I threw the single away back when I was 7 or 8 years old back around 1972 or 1973. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Nice work Dave, and thanks for sharing your story. I hope Ms. Page does a concert in my area in the near future.
JB

LPJim said:
Nice work Dave, and thanks for sharing your story. I hope Ms. Page does a concert in my area in the near future.
JB

I always think about how your area is large enough to attract the performers it does and small enough that you are able to catch them for autographs, Jim.

Where you have ONE hotel near the one venue, you frequent (and I joined you at, a couple times, so far), there are about a HUNDRED.

I actually saw the Vikki Lawrence show I told you about, last month, which was SOLD OUT when I tried ordering a ticket at the box office a month or two before. But, I went to the Macomb Center and was able to get a ticket THAT DAY. Never posted it, though, but Vikki DID sing "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia", as well as perform her "Mama" Routine from MAMA'S FAMILY. And of course her own stand-up comedy as 'herself'. :)

Also, the Vikki Lawrence show was sponsored by BEST WESTERN Hotels, so I 'applied for a job at a couple of them', before realizing I may as well take a chance on "an empty seat"! :tongue: Figured it would work for Patti Page, too. And it Did! :laugh:

Dave

Gotta admit I have a lot of "help from my friends" when it comes to locating artists/venues. Most of the symphony shows take place at the venue adjacent to the hotel where we found Mathis. Another downtown hotel is the place of choice for performers who come to town for police/fire dept. benefit shows. These concerts are almost never advertised, but they're listed at "pollstar.com"
The two other large downtown hotels are within walking distance of two old theaters, one of which will be under construction until 2005.
One of my concert/autograph buddies has friends who work for limo services. Another, a judge, has friends among venue security folks as well as regular police. He's a great person to know at critical times.
I know it probably felt silly standing out in the cold by the stage door, but the rewards are enormous compared to the convenience.
A few years ago I went with my Mom -- a big opera fan -- to a concert by Singer Roberta Peters. It was a surprise to find (a) no refreshments for sale; (b) no merchandise table in the lobby & (c) no horde of autograph seekers.
I was the only one hanging out near the back stage door, where Ms. Peters graciously signed program covers for my Mom, her friend and myself.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom