• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Another Carpenters compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Looks like we're in for another Carpenters compiltaion to be released in January. I saw this listed on a post at the Steve Hoffman site, it's supposedly due January 27th, 2004:

* Carpenters - 35th Anniversary Hits Collection - Gold (2cd, UTV Records)

Since it's a 'hits' compilation, it will likely be along the lines of the old Yesterday Once More as far as track selection. Perhaps Richard has cooked up something new in terms of flow or segues?

We've had Gold collections abroad, but in the US, the title's only been used on the DVD. Perhaps this will be some kind of tie-in to that release.

Keep your eyes open for track listings as the date gets closer.

Harry
...wondering if they considered titling it 'Yesterday Once Again', online...

I already posted a response to Grant's question over there, in fact. The info actually comes from a "trade" release list that goes out to radio station music directors, and retailers. No mention of this on Universal's site.

I was exchanging emails a month or so ago with David Alley about something unrelated, but asked if there are any new projects in the works. His reply: "There is no other big news. A version of Carpenters Gold will be released in the US in 2004." So it sounds like it will be some mutation of the GOLD released previously in other countries.

Randy

Yes. David Alley was a road manager for the Carpenters in the mid-late 70s and even dated Karen. He now represents Richard as his manager.

Randy

Yes. David Alley was a road manager for the Carpenters in the mid-late 70s and even dated Karen. He now represents Richard as his manager.
I think it would be interesting to hear his recollections of Karen. I remember reading, maybe in the Coleman book, that he was still in love with her when she married Tom. Now that's a torch. :wink:

Surprisingly Given the Huge Success of Carpenters Compilations Worldwide -Richard Has Limited Any Carpenters Singles / Hits Sets in USA :o

UK & Japanese #1's Greatest Hits (Only Yesterday) and 22 Hits Were Never Issued in USA and Singles 1969-1981 -Though Considered By Polygram in 1996 Had To Await Release in 2000...And Then Thrown Out as Catalog With No Universal Promotion ..... :shock:

This Planned 2004 35th Anniversary 2 CD Release With Full TV / Radio/ Media Campaign and Richard's Active Participation Should Be Huge Seller -Both to Original Carpenters Audience -Replacing Earlier Vinyl and Cassette Copies and Most Importantly New / Younger Fans -Artists Need to Recharge Fan / Music Base or Else Fade Away ......

Ideally Richard Has Included Some Classic Album Favs Plus Some Tracks From As Time Goes By For American Fans :)

Interesting to See How Universal Market This Key Compilation With Comparison to BMG's Manilow Collection That Proved His Most Successful For Years .....

And of Course Sales Here Will Double Interest in Entire Carpenters Catalog ..... :)

Peter

Peter,

Although I enjoy reading your posts a great deal, your use of initial capitals on each word makes it very difficult on the eyes. I sometimes have to read and reread your sentences a couple of times to get the full meaning of what you're saying because I often think you're referring to proper nouns when you aren't. I don't intend to be mean, I'm just saying I'd appreciate your already informative posts even more if they were written using standard capitalization.

Cheers,

Tony

Would this be similar to the Japanese Gold compilation?

This Planned 2004 35th Anniversary 2 CD Release With Full TV / Radio/ Media Campaign and Richard's Active Participation Should Be Huge Seller

Is this an actual fact or wishful thinking?

Tony, Mike B & All,

Oh...bad habit on the Net ....which fortunately I do not do via e-mails ...
apologies to you all :oops:

Peter

Andrew,

Potential sales , success and awareness in reaching large fan base and new audiences are the ideal -whether this 2004 Anniversary set achieves these objectives -down to Universal USA and Richard utilising this opportunity and opening up Catalog sales and future unissued / rare material :?:

Really the onus is on Universal ....who have to date ....done the minimum with one of their acquired classic acts :sad:

Peter

Peter, I have to say that I so look forward to your expertise here that I don't really mind HOW you post things--as long as they're in English!! :D

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn -I just about manage to keep the English together ..! :wink:

Just hoping aside from the Carpenters Singles / Chart Hits that Richard includes some classic album tracks and some songs from As Time Goes By :)

Ideally as planned 2CD set -even allowing for fewer American album tracks if 26/28 Singles are included , Richard could select 8/10 extras for Fans and music buyers -possible suggestions :

This Masquerade / A Song For You / Look To Your Dreams / Desperado/
You're The One / One More Time / When I Fall In Love / Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again :)

Plus :

Without A Song & You're Just in Love from ATGB..... :)

Best news would be an unreleased track -plenty to choose from the remaining remixed / remastered ATGB surplus tracks .....perhaps the 1978 studio version of Thank You For The Music ....with apt lyrics would be good choice .... :idea:

We can keep dreaming until track listing confirmed .....:cool:

Peter

Sorry for let all you guys down, but today I've got a e-mail from CD UNIVERSE site and they list the upcoming 2 cd box, as the GOLD cd and THE CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT box, plus the GOLD dvd.

It's importaded from Argentina and its release day's is the same of the Japonese, so we can figuere the rest of the history out...

It was not this time yet....

Only Yesterday said:
Sorry for let all you guys down, but today I've got a e-mail from CD UNIVERSE site and they list the upcoming 2 cd box, as the GOLD cd and THE CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT box, plus the GOLD dvd.

It's importaded from Argentina and its release day's is the same of the Japonese, so we can figuere the rest of the history out...

It was not this time yet....

I don't believe that this is the same set that is being released in the US. The reason I say that is that there seem to be several different releases around the world celebrating the 35th anniversary. Japan is getting the mini-LP box set released, England has some kind of Sound+Vision set. I think this is just the Argentinian version. Here's the link at CD Universe for that one:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6615714&cart=165368258&style=music

Let's wait and see what's in store for the US.

Harry
...patient, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom