• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Any chance of Herb Alpert concert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryb

Hi! This may be a dumb question because I don't know anything about Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass--just that my husband loves their music. Every year at Christmas he mentions that one day before he dies (not any time soon), he would like to see a Herb Alpert concert no matter where it is. Is this possible? Thanks for any info.

The only way would be if Herb Alpert releases another solo recording and goes on tour for it. The tours for his past couple of albums were not large scale either--he played well-known smaller venues in major cities (such as the House of Blues in Chicago), so you may luck out if you happen to live near a larger city and are willing to travel. He would probably focus on his most recent recording during the concert, but he also will perform a couple of the "golden nuggets" as well. I haven't seen him since he was on tour for his album "Under A Spanish Moon" (which had a symphonic element to it), and while he did have new arrangements for some of his Tijuana Brass classics, it was still a great concert. Musically very nice, and he is an engaging host as well. If it's a large enough show, there is a chance Lani Hall will perform as well, usually one as a duet with Herb.

His last tour with the Tijuana Brass was for the "Bullish" album, way back in the mid 1980s. He's not one to revisit the past, so chances for a true TJB reunion are slim, even with the upcoming reissues in February. But he does try to please all fans at his shows, so you could probably count on hearing at least a couple of his TJB classics at one of them.

The onyy person who would have the fianl answer to that kind of question is Herb Alpert himself.

However, I would say, IMO, and without any hesitation, that there won't be any concerts None. Zero. Etc...

I agree........the chances of a concert are practically nil..........but we can dream can't we? Maybe if everybody in this forum posted a message Herb might think......."HMMMMM.........ok, just one more time?"

A Herb concert? Not likely, but here's my worse nightmare:

Herb comes to the area, does a private benefit show (unannounced) or small club date, and I don't find out about it until too late.

Some of my 'so-called friends' like to play practical jokes on me because they KNOW they'll get a reaction.

JB
"Hey .... did you hear Herb was in town last week? Gee, we forgot to tell you"

If Herb does do a concert, I hope he does it at the Blue Note Jazz Club in Tokyo, Japan; that way I can see him. Sounds kind of selfish, hun? He could call it the “Re-issue Tour”.

If we are going to be selfish about the place where a concert would be held, then I vote for Auckland, New Zealand.......that way I would only have a 2 hour drive. Honestly though I would even take a plane across the 'ditch' to Australia if I had to !!

I wouldn’t mind combining a trip to New Zealand with a Herb Alpert concert – sounds like a blast.

I don't think he's been near Detroit since 1988 when Spanish Moon was released. Closest has been Chicago. Detroit is a horrible city for live music though--the few acts that do choose to come through here are presented by greedy promoters who turn a $30 act into a $75 act. (Is it any wonder Sergio Mendes' $150 tickets never sold here, or whatever three-digit price they were??)

So let`s say for the fun of it... Herb Alpert`s going to do a big charity benifit concert in New York City, and it`s going to be his last live performance... forever. Are you going? Madison Square Gardens, baby... the big apple... "The Re-Issue Tour"... one night only (yes, it`s a very short tour).

Oh yeah! I`m going... even if this is just dream talk.

Sorry to disappoint.........but I would have to give a NYC concert a miss. A $2000 airfare not to mention a 26 hour flight would be a bit much BUT a concert in LA........HMMMMMMM???? I think that would be worth raiding the piggy bank for :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom