Any word on the Sergio 9/26 remasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way - the volume levels on these new discs are not maximized like most modern CDs are these days. They are at approximately the same levels as the older Japanese versions, so they're not compressed and clipped - good news!

Harry

Harry said:
By the way - the volume levels on these new discs are not maximized like most modern CDs are these days. They are at approximately the same levels as the older Japanese versions, so they're not compressed and clipped - good news!

Harry

Is there any mastering credit on these? The ones that Verve did previously were done correctly. I know the folks at Sundazed did Fool On The Hill--it sounds good except for the CSG processing, which can't be undone.

Scratch that--I see that Bob Irwin of Sundazed also did these three new US releases. :thumbsup:

Bought all three yesterday. They're terrific.

One note I haven't seen mentioned...all three have similar packaging and are labelled "A&M Originals". Is this going to be a new Verve series (similar to "By Request")? With Herb's stuff at Shout! Factory and only a handful of Sergios left (Stillness, Pais Tropical, Primal Roots), what else might be reissued under "A&M Originals"? I'm guessing it would have to have some jazz connection for Verve to even consider it.

---Michael Hagerty

Hi all,

I purchased Herb Alpert Presents on Sunday. Same store as LP Jim frequents. Overall, Verve did a superb job. The disc has a nice, warm, balanced sound with clean bass. Levels aren't maximized and are conservative. Sonically it's an 8/10. The original cover art/liner notes are there and reproduced well. The Ochre A & M label is a nice touch. Mastering was done by Bob Irwin at Sundazed. Packaging 9/10 rating. Overall rating 9/10! The Mobile Fidelity LP of this has the best sonics on HA presents. The front cover is slightly grainy looking. Still reference quality. Essential purchase and only $11.99 list! I hope this is the beginnings of more vintage A & M material!

Once again, Verve manages to botch another reissue of classic jazz/pop with HA Presents Sergio Mendes. As with their "Verve By Request" series, they merely reissue a cleaned-up recording with no specials, but still manage to push the entire reissue catalog in the booklet. Sell, sell, sell. This album, and many others, were musical milestones. What does Verve do to recognize this? I own many other Verve jazz reissues on CD, and it's the same thing over and over: reproduction of liner notes, personnel/track listings. No special recognition from some jazz critics of today. They receive a D for effort!

Wait for the "special edition," if there ever is one. This is just a plain ol' reissue and at a discount price. I'm happy to have the original cover art, and to see the A&M logo appear less microscopically than usual.

OK, made it to the store and Ye-Me-Le and Chrystal Illusions were there... Guess I'll feel encouraged to buy them when I see the rest of the catalog there, otherwise I'm not that ready to replace my vinyl--'cept with MORE vinyl...

Dave

Finally got HAP today in the mail (Deep Discount is cheap, but it ain't fast, LOL). I've bought all the Japanese reissues, rabid completist that I am, and I have to say to my ears there is noticeably less high end on this first domestic CD, at least at first listen. It's especially noticeable to me on "Goin' Out Of My Head," which sounds almost compressed to me. Opinions subject to change with continued listening. :)

KentTeffeteller said:
Hi all,

I purchased Herb Alpert Presents on Sunday. Same store as LP Jim frequents. Overall, Verve did a superb job. The disc has a nice, warm, balanced sound with clean bass. Levels aren't maximized and are conservative. Sonically it's an 8/10. The original cover art/liner notes are there and reproduced well. The Ochre A & M label is a nice touch. Mastering was done by Bob Irwin at Sundazed. Packaging 9/10 rating. Overall rating 9/10! The Mobile Fidelity LP of this has the best sonics on HA presents. The front cover is slightly grainy looking. Still reference quality. Essential purchase and only $11.99 list! I hope this is the beginnings of more vintage A & M material!

Hi Kent!

I agree the MoFi LP is still the one to beat, although I haven't heard the new Verve CD yet. I am confident that Bob Irwin pretty much gave us what was on the master tape with a minimum of processing. He did the best he could with Fool On The Hill, which suffers from the dreaded HAECO-CSG processing. This version of Fool is better than the harder-edged Japan CDs from a few years ago, which have only average sonics. So far IMHO, Verve has done well with these reissues, opting more for a neutral balance and a good representation of what is actually on the tapes.

Just curious--which of your systems did you play this new CD on? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom