Anybody ordering from the Sergio Mendes store?

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin

c40331_36c44fc88b0e459c8fd2272d89abb35d~mv2.png

c40331_0230b610aaa645e8a03ad74a3fd6ed91~mv2.png

c40331_e25c9c68c656417f9b4a45589bdae2c1~mv2.png

Nothing I'd ever buy, but that montage tote bag has a cool design.

Agreed. Prices on t-shirts and merch lately have gotten crazy.

A few years ago someone on SPRING-Amaze - NOT Sergio - produced T-Shirts and Mugs with just the last names of all the members of the 'first ' Brasil 66 that was more striking and better designed than the stuff in Sergio's store.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 11.21.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 11.21.02 PM.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Harry, that link doesn't work for me. It goes to a "there's nothing here" error page.

So I stripped off the /category/current-selections part (thinking there was a typo in it, maybe) and then it would lead to Sergio's homepage, but the merch store just has a "Coming soon" button that doesn't do anything when you click it.

Then I tried just taking off 'current-selections' and that didn't work either. Same error page.

So, I guess I won't be buying anything yet! But I can't say I'm thrilled with the sample pictures anyway. If they did something with the Stillness cover imagery or maybe the front cover art from Primal Roots, I'd be all over that. But since those weren't big sellers I'm sure it's not happening.

yeah... I took a screen shot of what the designs that they have available. seems odd that they would do the original Brasil'66, but have a "Fool on the Hill" 45 pic of the second B'66. I would think the last names would be Mendes, Hall, Hansen...
I prefer the second Brasil'66, too. Many of the pics seem so cheesy. Stillness is nice. País Tropical would be nice... Maybe an alteration of a 45 pic so it doesn't look like a 45 pic plastered on a shirt. (well, aren't I full of opinions! - lol)

1698241726725.png

The Equinox title is "drawn" by an artist, but all the other titles are just typed in a contemporary (for the time) font, and some of them are fairly ordinary fonts -- especially Stillness, Ye-Me-Le, and Fool on the Hill. Still it would be cool to have all those album titles in a vertical column in their original fonts. they could put "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" from the first album at the top.

Weird, that link now works for me and on Sergio's official site, it only shows 4 products available. A Brasileiro design, a Timeless design, one from a '60s bossa nova show, and the "Songs in the Key of Joy" logo. None that have appeared on this page. They must still be tweaking it.

I bought the Sergio Mendes tote bag. It's very cool with an excellent layout and design. The bag effectively illustrates the musical chronology of his career. I like the way It starts with the legendary 1962 Bossa Nova Carnegie Hall concert. Then there are great group pictures from both sides of his Herb Alpert Presents album, fittingly as the album landed into the Grammy Hall of Fame, and includes his signature song "Mas Que Nada." All the other illustrations feature benchmark albums such as "Look Around" and "Primal Roots." However, I would have left out the "Home Cooking" album and replaced it with the album covers from "Equinox" and "Fool on the Hill." Otherwise, I have no complaints--it's an excellent tote bag.

All of that early stuff that was there is now gone. No tote bags, only three shirt designs and an autographed DVD.

Harry--I guess I got lucky--you are right the tote bag as of today-- 11/27/23 --is no longer available. Several weeks ago I first went to his website--sergiomendesmusic.com and the bag was no longer available there. So with due diligence I found on the internet: Mendes Montage tote bag/Sergio Mendes Music. I clicked there up came the tote bag for purchase and I ordered it. It arrived at my home quickly in 4-5 days. Now neither of the aforementioned websites carry it.

Back
Top Bottom