Anyone read this?

I'll get it. Looks very interesting. I'll report back later.

*edit: Here's the version for those of us here in the States: http://www.amazon.com/Carpenters-Al...rds=Carpenters+-+Album+by+Album:+Song+by+Song

This is pretty unrelated, but my folks gave me a Kindle Fire last Christmas. The only thing I've ever used it for (besides playing music when I have no other option) is reading the Carpenters Online book thingy. I much prefer a physical book with pages I can flip instead of a bright screen in my face. I think a base model Kindle would be better for actual reading. The Fire (at least my generation, which has just now been superseded) is one sorry device. The OS is just a customized version of Android with quite a few bugs. It's not a terribly useful device, so I'd really recommend that people not get one. There are far better options. The Surface is by far the most functional tablet, the iPad is very solid as well. The Nexus tablets are okay, but I'm not a personal fan of the Android OS.

/completely off topic blurb

Reactions: PJW
I'll get it. Looks very interesting. I'll report back later.

*edit: Here's the version for those of us here in the States: http://www.amazon.com/Carpenters-Album-Song-ebook/dp/B00HUH7CKM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390323899&sr=8-3&keywords=Carpenters - Album by Album: Song by Song

This is pretty unrelated, but my folks gave me a Kindle Fire last Christmas. The only thing I've ever used it for (besides playing music when I have no other option) is reading the Carpenters Online book thingy. I much prefer a physical book with pages I can flip instead of a bright screen in my face. I think a base model Kindle would be better for actual reading. The Fire (at least my generation, which has just now been superseded) is one sorry device. The OS is just a customized version of Android with quite a few bugs. It's not a terribly useful device, so I'd really recommend that people not get one. There are far better options. The Surface is by far the most functional tablet, the iPad is very solid as well. The Nexus tablets are okay, but I'm not a personal fan of the Android OS.

/completely off topic blurb
Here's a completely off topic comment on your completely off topic blurb . . .
I'm a voracious reader and I read both books with pages and use an e-reader. What I like about my e-reader most is being able to download books right from my computer - buying them or from the library. Also, when I'm out and about or traveling, I have a whole library that fits in my bag. :)

:D Here's my completely off topic response to your completely off topic comment on my completely off topic blurb :nut::
I should have said that I'm certainly not against e-readers. I think it's a great idea, and you're so right about the convenience. I simply meant that mine is a bit of a pain to use, and I can't see it very well in sunlight. I've heard (and seen, as my dad has the original Kindle) that the "e-ink" (isn't that what they call it?) screens retain their contrast in the sun.

Back on topic, I bought the book mentioned above. I haven't had a chance to start it yet as I'm about to head off to class.

:D Here's my completely off topic response to your completely off topic comment on my completely off topic blurb :nut::
I should have said that I'm certainly not against e-readers. I think it's a great idea, and you're so right about the convenience. I simply meant that mine is a bit of a pain to use, and I can't see it very well in sunlight. I've heard (and seen, as my dad has the original Kindle) that the "e-ink" (isn't that what they call it?) screens retain their contrast in the sun.

Back on topic, I bought the book mentioned above. I haven't had a chance to start it yet as I'm about to head off to class.
Fill us in when you've read it. Rick Henry has a facebook page devoted to Carpenters that I've seen. I've sure you or someone else here knows the name of it. Might be info about this book on there.

Hi, I'm new here, but not to the Carpenters. You can also get a Kindle app for your iphones / ipads. I'm going to download this book right now.

Yes, that's what my "find free readers for other devices" means! :rolleyes:

And welcome to this terrific forum, sussex salvo.

hello,

I started this thread and read it last night. No offence to Rick, but I'd think twice before purchasing this and instead go for John Tobler's Complete Guide to the Music of The Carpenters: http://www.amazon.com/The-Carpenter...383301&sr=8-1&keywords=john+tobler+carpenters

He's obviously a big fan, but it's poorly written with lots of text pretty much lifted from lots of other material I've read over the years. There's also lots of "My most favourite. . . .my second most favourite" kind of stuff in there. The bulk of the writing concerns the history of the composers of the songs, and not the Carpenters. Finally there are quite a few errors, most notably his comment that Something in Your Eyes was written in '82 and was slated as a single in '83 as their first single to the new album. To my knowledge this was written specifically for Time in '85/'86.

I really don't mean to put the guy down, good on him for spending the time and effort on this, and getting it published, but I'd go for Tobler every time.

Neil

Finally there are quite a few errors, most notably his comment that Something in Your Eyes was written in '82 and was slated as a single in '83 as their first single to the new album. To my knowledge this was written specifically for Time in '85/'86.

If anything, that's more likely to be 'In Love Alone', which was written in 1982 and almost got played to Karen before she died.

I would definitely agree. I haven't finished it yet as I've been pretty busy, but from what I have read, I would recommend holding off. I haven't read anything totally new or surprising yet, most of us already have/know this information.

I, too, was hoping that it would have more information on the actual making of the tracks, like production difficulties or things the Carpenters had later said.

Looks like that guy in Brazil has been rummaging through my treasure chests. I wonder if that's his entire stash? The two things evident and absent from my stuff is his pose with K&R and the CarpenterS needlepoint. More often than not I think that my lifelong pastime of hoarding this jazz will accompany me to the grave. Sorta Egyptian style. Seriously left to any and all survivors the goods would grow old widda mold. That just ain't gonna happen kids! Actually if I was diluting prior to the fiery furnace there's a guy out Florida way I would entrust. What a morbid delight. Tonight I'm reveling in miserly abandon and planning for the dear-departed me as only I can.

Ahhh life, ya just gotsta love it!

Jeff

I noticed in the Brazilian guy's collection he has a copy of the Coleman book in paperback that says "Completed Revised and Updated" on the cover. Does anyone know anything about that? Was there a second edition published with additional material?

Very interesting review of their legacy. Most of it very good, and done with a journalistic point of view. I have a friend who used to be the local music critic and a huge Carpenters fan who would agree with most of what this guy wrote, though he still blames Richard .......anyway thanks for the link Gary!

The updated, revised, paperback edition of the Coleman book, had corrections and additional photos, I believe.
There are some serious editorial errors in the hardback edition (I remember when I first read the initial hardback
printing, how awful the misprints were). There isn't any 'new' revelations added to the book, though.(That I am aware of)

Back
Top Bottom